AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read everything I could on the 150 but still have a few set up ?'s I will be watching mostly dvd's but will be adding a dish 6000 in the near future.

Should I get a 16:9 screen and tell my dvd player and the 6000 that I have a 16:9 display?

What is the advantage/disadvantage of doing this?

If I get a 16:9 screen, is there a way to center a 4:3 image within it and not crop the image?

What should the screen size be if the viewing distance is 10ft?

Thanks in advance for your help?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Advantages of 16:9 are less masking required as little black bars on top and bottom, less bulky, and looks cooler.

Advantages of 4:3 are larger 4:3 imaging area, 16:9 can be had by not pulling down or unrolling the whole 4:3 area but stop at 16:9 image, more screen material for cheaper price.

I personally have a large 16:9 screen for DVD's and HDTV. For 4:3 I would stretch image via 'cinema' aspect mode to fill 16:9 screen. You could also put image in 'native' resolution mode to have a smaller but crisper image in center (I like my image as big as possible so people looks short and fat when stretched but that's OK). You can design floating masks to hide side areas (I'm too lazy to mask). I also had 4:3 pull-down but 16:9 looks cooler for permanent mounting. There is a throw ratio guide in the user manual or on www.nectech.com via pdf format. At 13 feet I get 100" wide image (not diagonal). You can figure out the height with math for 16:9 ratio or 4:3 ratio screen.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Huey,

I'm deciding on a screen right now for my LT154. I'd much prefer to go 16:9, but there is light spill on the top and bottom that I need to mask out. How are you handling that with your LT150? Do you have dark walls or a permanent mask to hide the extra light? Or are you a lucky panamorph/ISCO owner? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Aaron

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Tim55,

"Cinema mode" is avaiable with component mode but not RGB, unless you play games with rs232 codes.

"Native mode" is available in RGB but not component.

Cinema is good when viewing anamorphic because the internal scaler of the pj does not have to "work" as hard. Less scaling artifacts (1.2 vs 1.6 scale up).

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Aaron, I'm afraid the only fix for light spill is like you said painting walls dark colors or taping black cloth for masking. On LT150 light spill is minimal and not bothersome to me. There is a faint light spill on ceiling (arch of light) but it's so dim that it's not noticeable. I personally hate to make my room look ugly just because of light spill. There comes a point when our modifications are not worth the effort or aesthetics. Plus the wife will KILL you if you deface your HT room :)

It's true about cinema mode available only on component, Svideo, and Composite inputs but most 4:3 sources are for these inputs (VCR, VHS, cable TV, satellite). Native mode is available for all inputs except component as I've done it with my VCR, cable, and HTPC (by reducing screen resolution from XGA to SVGA or VGA). With software (YxY) and HTPC any screen aspect ratio can be had. With custom resolutions via HTPC w/ Powerstrip most desktop resolutions can be had. The point is you can manage on 16:9 or 4:3 screen, but is it worth the trouble. Depending on the majority of your viewing habit, it may be less hassle to go with 4:3 or 16:9. I just think that 16:9 looks cooler for permanent mounting (non-pull down type).

------------------

Huey ;-]

[This message has been edited by Huey (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
855 Posts
Quote:
"Cinema mode" is avaiable with component mode but not RGB, unless you play games with rs232 codes.
This sounds like some form of voodoo. It is not. Simply use the serial control interface and Cinema mode works for all inputs. I haven't tried the native mode with component input but would guess it works as well through the serial control interface.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
733 Posts
My HT room is MY room. My wife has more or less complete control over the rest (90%) of our home, however, absolutely no say over this particular room. I guess I am a lucky man - I have a 10% say over my domestic life. On the other hand, you guys are just gutless! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

Quote:
I've read everything I could on the 150 but still have a few set up ?'s I will be watching mostly dvd's but will be adding a dish 6000 in the near future.
Tim55,

I have an LT150 with a ExVu 6000 (Same exact model as dish 6000) connected from component to VGA on the LT150.

I had it for over 3 months now and ONLY watch HiDef. with the 6000. I absolutely love it to death!!! The picture quality is AWESOME.

You ask about the size of screen you should use. IMO I would not exceed 5 feet across since you're 10 feet away. (2 to 1 rule).

I personally do not watch DVD's but on the other hand I do play lots of PS2 Games connected through the S-Video input of the LT150 and my setup is in Native mode and Cinema selected. IMO is looks great and with the surround sound coming from all angles it is quit the experience to play games this way!!! Can't wait for "Devil may Cry" coming out Oct.18

One note: Yes you can center the image with the 6000 model to be exactly in the middle of your 16x9 screen to give you a 4x3 image. That's what I do. You have source selection with the 6000...Normal, Gray Bar, Stretched, Full Zoom and Partial Zoom.

Gotta love it.

Once you experience HDTV. It's practically impossible to go back to NTSC crap!!

regards,

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Quote:
With software (YxY) and HTPC any screen aspect ratio can be had. With custom resolutions via HTPC w/ Powerstrip most desktop resolutions can be had.
Huey,

I would like to set up my screen for 16:9 format, which is what I want for dvd but I need to first deal with Windows 4:3 screen from the HTPC. How can I have the HTPC output a different aspect ratio using those tools you mentioned?

Quote:
Simply use the serial control interface and Cinema mode works for all inputs.
Huckster,

What I need to do to control the LT150 serial interface. I didn't even know it had one. I would like to automate my HTPC and LT150 using some sort of remote if possible.

Thanks,

hardwired

·
Registered
855 Posts
Try this thread for powerstrip settings.

Try this thread for a short discussion on the serial control stuff.

By the way, I must appologize for saying "simply" in connection with the serial control stuff. I forget how much other folks may or may not know about electronics and things. I'm sorry if this offended anyone.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Huckster,

I am not offended. My knowlege of this stuff was minimal but I managed to figure out how to send serial commands to my LT150, and can now use Cinema mode in RGB. This gives a better result from my Iscan Pro than component. To make things a little easier I ordered the serial cable from NEC (only $5 or $6). Thanks for your earlier posts which let me know this project was worth pursuing.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I disagree with the screen size issue. A factor of 1.5 times screen width should be good. I'm projecting a 80" wide image from DVD souce material with a seating distance of 10'. I think 60 inches is just too small. Suggest you do what I did, get the projector 1st and use the wall until you decide for yourself.

Jon

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Huckster, tim55,

I am new at posting and certainly have not found my "voice" yet. I certainly did not want to give the connotation "Voodoo" to my suggestion of playing games with the rs232 codes. I tend to refer to things in general as stuff and junk, and refer to implementing various things as playing games. I too forget about various skill levels that people have. I also need to remember that I am not known to the forum and my vernacular must be modified accordingly.

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
599 Posts
tim,

IMHO,

if you are mostly playing DVDs, then is sure is nice to have a wide screen.

check out this thread for a long discussion on screens, but my advice is to spend $12 and go get some blackout material and attach it to your wall to experiment with the distance and ratio ideas.

since you don't have a HTPC (home theater pc), then don't worry about POWERSTRIP. And unless you have a computer nearby, eliminate the SERIAL cable issue as well.

I use an RGB connection (which means a plain old cable that attaches any PC to a monitor - and one is included with the projector, but it won't help you out unless your DVD player has a DB-15 on the back) because I hookup from my HTPC - I cannot speak to the 'cinema mode via rs232', but I can add this from my Enterprise viewing this week:

During the commercials, if I pressed the upper right button on the LT150 remote, then screen would go into WIDE mode on a 4:3 commercial, and it would stay there when Enterprise came back. If I pressed the button during Enterprise, then I would get Enterprise in a different size, narrower and more true to what is was supposed to be in - I played with both modes and it didn't really make a diff. I was picking up OTA (over the air) HD and it CAN and WILL be different from you watching via DISH and a UPN affiliate vs. watching with an antenna.

So, don't worry too much about any of this until you get your unit and try your component cable from your DVD player - because there really are a ton a variables and its so much easier to just see what you have when you put a disc in or tune into an OTA source.

Believe me when I say its a great picture to watch OTA HD broadcasts, so plz don't limit yourself to only DVDs... consider an antenna and that makes you consider a settop box (STB) that can handle OTA as well. Oh well, all that costs lots of money... the screen can be cheap @ $6/yard!

best of luck

------------------

Jaymer...

----------------

AccessDTV (antenna on digital input, Tivo on analog)

HTPC, P3 933 (still having DVD playing probs)

NEC LT150 (awesome)

Homemade Blackout cloth screen (from Joann's Fabrics, $6 per yard)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.