AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LT 150 Owners: Satellite SDTV quality

165 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  noah katz 
#1 ·
I tried this over in the HDTV hardware forum, but can't seem to get any replies there.

I am currently using basic cable through my LT150, and the picture is considerably less than I can tolerate. What is the quality by comparison with a satellite service like Dish Network? Obviously the HDTV stuff will be much better, but how about the SDTV stuff? I've gotten some negative opinions so far, and from what I'm hearing I'm not sure it's possible to get a tolerable signal for general TV viewing thru the LT150.

#4 ·
An option also would be if you have an HTPC to run the DSCALER program on a capture card with a brooktree chipset (only chipset that software is compatible with). I have never done this as I do not have mine all setup yet so maybe others will chime in and give a much clearer view of this or how good it may look.

Chris

#6 ·
Mane:

A HTPC really isn't a possibility, as I only have a laptop (Sony Vaio) and the option of a high end video card just isn't there. Thanks though for the suggestion.

Randall:

The LT150 is my first projector, so I have nothing to compare it to. Before it I was watching cable through a 27" Sony Wega, and even then the cable picture wasn't all that good. I suppose given how many times the cable is split in my home, I might just not be getting a good signal. Obviously I'm not expecting DVD quality from a satellite dish, but I'm hoping for some improvement (particularly when watching sports), along with the option to watch some HD stuff. What are these motion artifacts like and how bad are they? How grainy is the picture?

Thanks for your help.

#7 ·
James,

I think you are right about you may be using a weak signal. I'm using a Satellite signal so we are really comparing two different things. If you have digital cable I would think the signals should be similar.

The artifacts I spoke of seem to occur as a slight blurring. I notice it around facial closeups in the eyes. I am comparing to DVD through HTPC or Prog scan player so I am fairly critical. I've had several people see the TV picture say it was awesome. Its all a matter of perspective.

#10 ·
Randall,

With the overly compressed channels, big shimmery blocks of pixels make it hard to tell anything about the original signal quality. The channels that don't look compressed are often not such good quality to begin with.

I asked Dish once about varying quality, and they claim they're just passing on the signal they get from their content providers.

------------------

Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.