AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may remember Im in the process of getting shafted over my screen for my LT150. I ordered the dalite 2.8gain (even though Ive got a ceiling mount, heard it was still great) was told by the salesman that he could get one for me. Great I said, but small problem he says, it only comes in a 2.2 gain in Australia. Dont worry he told me, its exactly the same material. Argh thats what I get for dealing local. As you can guess, I got a totally different brand with a totally different screen material that looks absolutely crap with a ceiling mount (very grainy).

Now the salesman is trying to get out of refunding me, I know even though Im legally entitled to a refund its going to be getting blood out of a stone. Hes offered to replace the screen material for me. Trouble is, the only other material that this company makes is a unity gain. They sent me a sample to compare, the blacks are great but gee it loses all the punch and vibrancy from the colors.

I really love the color from the high gain but I cant stand the grain. The unity looks all dull but at least its a smooth clear picture.

Is it possible through changing color balance, contrast etc to get the punch back into the picture?? Im finding it a very difficult decision to make. What I really want to do is just go for the full refund and get a decent screen but I dont know if I can be bothered with the headaches. How many people use a unity gain screen for their LT 150, especially moded with the decreased light output??

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I used a Dalite Matt White unity gain and thought the picture looked great on my modded LT150. Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone and switched to a Firehawk but I could have lived easily with the picture had I not been curious about the Stewert.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
is firehawk worth the dough over your unity screen for your LT150?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Huey to me it is. By far the biggest difference in all of the changes/mods I have done. Images are so 3D I hide the popcorn when the Klump family comes on the screen.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Randy,

HMC filter, color wheel mod, ISCO II, and rewritten gamma table.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks, John.

I'm still using my off-white living room wall, but had always thought that I would want a unity gain screen until I picked up the Hoya HMC FL-DAY filter. With the reduced light output, I feel like I need some gain from a screen and have been leaning toward the video spectra 1.5. The Firehawk is too expensive for me (my wife thinks the bare wall is just fine), but I'm still considering a unity gain screen. It has to be an improvement over an off-white wall. You seem to have gotten good results with the unity gain and the filter, but you also have the ISCO II (which could increase the light output?).

Randy D

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The ISCO II does increase the total amount of light reflecting from the screen but I believe William Phelps (or somebody else) measured and it was not the 33% theoretical amount, something far less. Right now I would not trade this combination for any of the higher end projectors, HD1s or even LCOS.

Huey has reported good results with the Video Spectra and again if I had not seen my setup with a Firehawk I would have been satisfied with the unity gain screen.

·
Registered
246 Posts
John,

I recently participated in a shootout in anothe member's house with my LT150 + HMC + ISCOII. We used a Firehawk fixed screen.

Everybody loved the picture but I notice that the picture was somehow brighter towards the middle and dimmed in the sides. It was also dimmed overall compared to my DIY Parkland screen but keep in mind that projector was table mounted. Nobody in the shootout knew that Firehawk requires ceiling mount.

I was just wondering if you have the same effect in your theater...

Regards,

Rodrigo

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
There is some hotspotting that is noticable on an all black screen but not on video. I didn't try mine table mounted so I can't compare the two. I thought the picture was dimmer at first until a brightly lit scene was displayed. It just seems to me that high level scenes remained the same but dark scenes became even darker with better low level detail. It did take a little while to become adapted to the changed viewing experience. There are tradeoffs just like with projectors, but I prefer the better black levels and the improved apparent contrast.

·
Registered
246 Posts
John,

Thanks for you answer!

Do you think that the hotspoting is caused by the ISCOII lens or it does not matter? What I noticed was with movie material...

Rodrigo Braga

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I think the hotspotting is caused by the screen. It's really a high gain screen with a grey foundation. What might be a 2.8 gain surface is reduced to 1.36 because of the grey color. All high gain screens have some hotspotting.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Was the Sharp ceiling mounted or table?

And just to emphasize, I would never go back to the unity screen which had no hotspot. every time I watch a movie I am awestruck by the quality of the image. I've had the screen a couple of weeks and keep pulling out DVDs to see the improvements.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ceiling mounted. I wish I could do ceiling on my end!

BTW- Do you watch TV through Dscaler? After AVIA calibration, DVDs via HTPC have fantastic overall picture and colors but Dscaler has minimum adjustments and colors suck! World cup on the big screen has been a pain!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Noodle

Sorry to hear about the hassles.If the guy wont give your money back go to the relvant govt dpt. In Adelaide we have consumer affairs and just leave it with them.I picked up my dalite 120" from LCD PRO on ebay. It arrived in excellent cond. they can be had for around $150 U.S. tHEY HAVE SOME HIGHER GAIN SCREEN AVAIL. hope things work out fine If you need any other details just email me if you still have my email

Dennis in Adelaide

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What is the benefit of using a Hoya HMC FL-DAY filter on the LT150?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It allows you to boost the contrast of the pj using the RGB controls, using the filter brings the resulting Green/blue image back to more correct color temp. Big jump in 3D effect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.