AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen comments on this subject but I thought I would start a new thread to get it organized. Essentially I am one of the grateful ones with a new Dell LT150. The picture on a Kmart white sheet ($5.99) is great. But I am now constructing the home theater and need help with choosing the right screen.

My room is 12.5 ft square. The screen will be 4x3 (as I am using a HTPC and will use it for powerpoint and other PC functionality). I plan to mask the top and bottom with black velvet when watching widescreen. 103" diagnol is good with the LT 150 despite the small room. Their will be a small amount of ambient light from large glass sliding doors blocked with thick curtains during the day.

SO.... What is the best screen surface for this projector? The high end local guy wants to sell me a greyhawk (because thats what he always sells. He also wanted to sell me a Runco for the same reason). But a comment somewhere on this forum suggested that a grey screen is not good for this very high contrast projector and that a gain of 1.3 is preferable. PLEASE help. Any comments would be appreciated. I am sure that many newbie LT 150 owners have the same question

Thanks in advance

------------------

David

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm experimenting with my LT150 on a Stewart 1.3 gain screen. I need a grayhawk bad... the black level on this screen, in a completely darkened room, is very, very poor. I could only hope that a grayhawk would be an improvement. I can't really fathom the concept of going to an even HIGHER gain screen...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yahoo,

I wouldn't recommend the Super Wonderlite.

I have a Super Wonderlite screen that I've used for many years for projecting slides. When I first got my LT150 I used it until my High Power screen came.

It had some major problems with hotspotting and moire patterns. The moire patterns in particular were pretty bad.

You should also be aware that it handles reflectivity different from the High Power. When I had my LT150 table mounted, the best brightness was achieved when I stood up.

Sitting down resulted in a dim, unsatisfying picture. Ceiling mounting would have worked better (this is the opposite of the High Power characteristics and may actually be better for some situations).

I believe the material must be tensioned also, which limits the size of the screen. Mine is 50x50 inches.

The material itself is grey. I would have thought the material would have been sort of like a high gain greyhawk but it didn't work out that way for me.

-- billy

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got my LT 150 on Monday and used the wall of the living room for a screen it worked fairly well. Wednesday I spent $18.00 for some blackout fabric 54x96 and tacked it to the wall and that offered improvement, but Thursday I ordered a 72x96 Da-Lite Hi Power screen from Jason at AVS. The price was right $265.00 plus shipping. I'll report back next week and let you know if I spent my money wisely.

The LT 150 is super so far, I haven't the slightest idea what the rainbow effect is, my wife and I marvel at the great picture. The quality so far is at least as good as the 61" Toshiba HDTV I also have in the living room. Can not wait until next spring when our new house is finished and get that theater built!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Getting the GrayHawk screen would be a better investment unless you intend to keep the LT150 for a long long time. Sooner or later a new better DLP will come out with better contrast ratio, higher lumens.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for their input.

ckolchak,

I know this is the most ridiculous question yet, but why does the screen have to be floor mounted? If there is vertical polarity to the screen, why not turn it upside down. (I KNOW this is a really stupid question)

------------------

David

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DADavis:
Thanks everyone for their input.

I know this is the most ridiculous question yet, but why does the screen have to be floor mounted? If there is vertical polarity to the screen, why not turn it upside down. (I KNOW this is a really stupid question)
The vertical polarity has something to do with your viewing position. If you ceiling mount the projector the light reflection would go to the ceiling unless you also plan to sit on the ceiling.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
53 Posts

DADavis

That's not a stupid question. The below link has tutorial on screen selection which answers it a lot better than I can.

http://dalite.com/educational_materials/front_screen/

Terry

[This message has been edited by terryb45 (edited 08-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by terryb45 (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
While I don't actually own a DLP yet, maybe I can help. There are sources on this forum who strongly feel that high power or grey is suitable. Who is to say which is right? It is personal preference. Personally, I prefer matte white screens because of the price and wide viewing angle. Remember, most high gain screens lose some viewing angle like old RPTV's. The greyhawk is just too expensive for my tastes, but Da-Lite has a gray screen which has to be chaeper. I don't know why people around here don't mention Da-Lite much, they seem to have good prices, I just don't beleive in paying thousands for a screen. I just got the material sample pack from Da-Lite and I could not tell much difference between samples with my LCD projection setup, probably because of the small samples, but the grey screen did look different. It really deepened the blacks and colors. If this is important to you, get a grey screen. Personally, I prefer matte white screens

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
David, i too lucked out with the Dell deal and am a complete newbie to this. i've been listening to screen talk for a while and the concensus seems to be:

Da-Lite Hi-Power

Pros:

Makes colors more vibrant

is brighter and the best choice for use with some ambient light

Cons:

the brightness may also reduce black levels

Rainbows will most likely be more pronounced on a higher gain screen

off angle viewing may be compromised

pj must be floor mounted because of the specific angle of reflectivity.

Grey screens do not seem to be a good match with this pj AT ALL. i don't remember coming a cross one thread that gave a positve endorsement of a grey screen with the LT150. Mostly people were dissapointed or couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

right now i am using blockout fabric, which works ok, but i would very much like to step up to a screen with some gain to it. colors now are just kind of drab, and lack vitality.

i am susceptible to rainbows so i think the Hi-Power would be a poor match for me, but many people swear by it.

hope this helps a little

[This message has been edited by ckolchak (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
David,

i am so much the wrong person to ask about this...

Grant would probably be able to tell you about this screen.

that would be my question too. if everybody says that the screen only works best if the projector is floor mounted, i would assume if you just invert the screen you can get an equivilent image from the opposite pole ( ceiling).

this seems like such a no brainer, but i'm sure there is a reason it isn't suggested or talked about.

...isn't there?

i'm still trying to find a decent DIY workaround.

i was in the fabric store today and picked up some material in the satin & polyester families. i'll try to demo them in the next few days. they are very reflective and fairly dense with what seems a un-important, tight texture. we'll see if they add anything.

i already know they will be harder to stretch tight than the blockout fabric which is almost as rubbery as the Stretch Armstrongâ„¢ i used to have as a kid.

it was a breeze getting a tight screen with that.

this was really the only fabric i've found so far that could possibly work/add something to the pic. after this i'll have to try paint.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
It's my understanding that there isn't any "top" or "bottom" to the High Power screen material. If you rotate the screen so that the casing is on the bottom the high reflectivity will still be back in the direction of the light source.

I'm curious about something and would like to ask a question of those who are advocating the use of a 2.8 gain screen with the LT150. How many of you have also viewed the LT150 image with a matte or 1.3 gain screen to know how that compares?

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Walter:
The vertical polarity has something to do with your viewing position. If you ceiling mount the projector the light reflection would go to the ceiling unless you also plan to sit on the ceiling.
A little misleading. There is a viewing angle for the screen of 25 degrees for the high power. The projector could be mounted on the ceiling, say at 7' off the floor, and you sit, say 3'-6" off the floor, you would still within the viewing angle.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx:
A little misleading. There is a viewing angle for the screen of 25 degrees for the high power. The projector could be mounted on the ceiling, say at 7' off the floor, and you sit, say 3'-6" off the floor, you would still within the viewing angle.
Yeah, I've got to agree. In my screen material test, I simulated a ceiling mount and then took pictures from a seated position. The high power did loose some brightness but it was still more "punchy" than the other materials.

------------------

Tom L.

NEC LT150 FAQ

My stuff, pictures, HTPC, and screen tests

[This message has been edited by tlastrange (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree with both Tom and Jomnx - the LT150 has a high throw angle and as discussed before my floor mounted projector looks good from my viewing height, about 3 1/2 to 4 feet above it - same for my ceiling mounted projector I am about 4 feet below it and 16 feet back. Yes, I have gotten down onto the floor and viewed the screen from the lens height, same for the ceiling mounted projector (viewed from its lens position) and I don't see any difference worth talking about.

I tacked black fabric onto my walls and my front wall is all black curtain and screen, black foam on the ceiling for four feet back from the screen - my room is basically light "dead" and I think this is why I can use the natural 2 setting with simply outstanding results - no reflections to wash out the image and the shadow detail is amazing! Lots of different opinions and results on this forum about screens and the LT150 - remember different lighting conditions, different reflective surfaces etc. and even different sources (HTPC, proscan DVD players). My opinion and everyone else's is only valid for their particular set up - that's why I tell you what my room looks like!

I get tired of things quickly - the LT150 has been an exception to this rule.

Interestingly I have found that for 4:3 DVDs (120 inch diagonal on my screen) I get a very bright image, some ambient light is O.K. and the natural 1 setting looks very good - Santana's Supernatural DVD comes to mind.

Robert, I have the matt Da-lite screen as well - same size as my Hipower. It's gathering dust - what more can I say.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
That says it all, Grant. If you prefer the Hi Power that's all that really matters. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

BTW, are you planning to ceiling mount the LT150? If so I would welcome some suggestions. I don't see any threaded holes on the bottom of the cabinet to secure a mounting bracket. Other than buying a Chief mount how should we go about this?

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.