Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm not sure if "coffee-table" mounting my LT-150 is going to provide a large enough screen size and I'm not reconsidering ceiling mounting it. Now that some have had the LT-150 on the ceiling for a few weeks, what is your impression on the noise levels of the fans. Also where is your LT-150 mounted? Just above your heads or just behind?

Thanks for any opinions,

Miles

BTW my LT-150 has been at my friends house in the U.S. for a couple weeks now. Although I still haven't seen it, I got to talk to my friend long-distance while he was watching a movie with it... pure torture http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Miles (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Miles,

I had mine pseudo ceiling mounted for a couple weeks. It was sitting upside down on a tall bookcase of mine.

The fan has a horrible whine to it although I wouldn't call it loud just piercing. I haven't decided how I'm going to get rid of the noise.

Has anyone considered opening this puppy up and replacing the fan with something a little less obnoxious? This sounds like a particularly KBK/Thumper thing to do.

--Les

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Mine is about four feet directly above my head. It's too loud. Way too loud. It's louder than my Barco CRT projector, which is about 30 times bigger. Currently it's mounted a wall-mounted adjustable TV mount, so I'm not sure how feasible it would be to put it in a hush box. The noise is definitely one of the more disagreeable aspects of this projector.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
After reading some other threads, I have considered making a sealed hushbox that has several peltier devices which are linked to a large heat sink. The heat sink would be in the interior of the box, directly in front of the lt150 exhaust. I have a controller, and I am thinking about running as many peltier devices as necessary to cool that exhaust temperature to a reasonable level, before it makes it back around to the intake. One peltier would be operating under PWM. There could be a drip path for condensation to exit the bottom (not totally sealed), and the return air path would discourage water from going back to the PJ.

Just a thought. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Doug

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
umm. and how would you cool the peltiers?

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Frode,

To cool the peltiers, I was thinking about big heat sinks on the outside of the hushbox...

The Peltier could transfer the heat from the big heat sinks inside to big heat sinks outside.

Doug

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gee I don't know - maybe because this is my first projector - but the noise from the LT150 is not an issue for me.

The unit is sitting on the floor under a coffee table and the noise is quite acceptable. Once the movie starts it's barely noticeable.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Watched Donnie Brasco last night with the lt150 on a table backed up to the front of my couch. My wife sat beside me, RIGHT NEXT to the lt150. It was practically touching her leg. This was the first time she'd seen the lt150 in action.

After the movie, I asked her if the pj was too loud. "I didn't even hear it."

And it's not like this was an action movie - it's a mob movie, mostly dialogue, and we had the (movie) sound down low because my son was asleep.

Maybe if I had the thing running in a hot room for hours, or upside down, the higher fan speed would kick in and it would bother me, but it hasn't so far.

rick

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The PJ is not all that loud as it now sits on a TV table in my living room. I would like it to be quieter, but it isn't that bad.

When it gets inverted and mounted on the ceiling, it is reported to get louder. I have heard the fan on high (during dark scenes in the Matrix) and did not care for it.

I figure if I am going to build a box, why not one that would block all noise and eliminate dust?

A totally sealed box was suggested in another thread, and I was just thinking about if it were really feasible. It seems it would be.

Just thinking is all.

Doug

·
Registered
408 Posts
The fan on the LT150 cranks up considerably when the PJ is placed in ceiling mount mode. Mine is ceiling mounted and roughly 3' from my seating position. I find it objectionable during soft passages with dialogue.

I asked in the HTPC forum if anyone knew of any software that was capable of inverting or rotating the image 180 degrees so that the LT150 could be ceiling mounted but left in the table mounted mode. In this way you'd essentially be tricking the fan into believing it was still table mounted and not increasing the speed of the fan. I got some replies, but haven't tried any of the suggestions yet. (HTPC assembly begins this weekend.) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Here's the link to my post:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/013828.html

I bet there's also a way to program the projector itself not to go into superfan mode when ceiling mount is selected, but alas it's beyond my expertise to figure out. Perhaps one of the computer programmers has an answer. I suspect I'll be firing up the saws sooner than I think to build that hushbox.

Kirk

[This message has been edited by Kirk (edited 09-05-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.