Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.projectorcentral.com/cons...m?ci=nec_LT155

OK, I am about to take my first step into the FP realm, HTPC powered. I'd like to go with either DLP or LCD because of my lack of experience (going for ease of setup/tweaking angle here). I read the review above of the LT155. I'm looking to spend in the 2700-3200 range. 13' room. LT155 sounds good, but the review is almost a year old. If you had $3000 to spend today, would you go with the LT150, the LT155, or something else? I did a search on LT155, but it seems the LT150 hubbub has eclipsed discussion of the LT155.

------------------

--}{: --}{:

: --}{: --}{:

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
LT150 will be cheaper, better contrast, and more beautiful with HTPC. For your short room the short throw of LT150 will give you 100" wide if your LT150 is abutting the back wall. LT155 has more brightness but screendoor maybe an issue with your short room. In darkness, I doubt if you can tell brightness difference between the 2. You will be able to tell rainbows or screendoor between the 2. Thus you must gamble: rainbows or not. I personally bought LT150 for $2300 form Dell. LT155 will be more. Remember the LT156 is the one with MLA to lessen screendoor and improve brightness. Of course LT155 will have longer bulb life (2000 hrs vs 1000 hrs) so the cost of the 2 may be similar. Don't forget the risk of dead pixels new or later (dead mirror is rarer). I had a dead pixel (strategically located in center of screen) on a new Sony XGA VPL-CX1. It bothers me quite a bit even if it was just one (enough that I sent mine in to Sony and it took 1 month to get it back--thank goodness for their loaner). This one VT540 owner sent his brand new in 4 times before he got a pixel-perfect unit. I had both XGA LCD and XGA DLP and there is no doubt in my mind that XGA DLP is better. I gave mine to my mom for large screen TV watching.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry Swarm to put this on your post but Huey keeps say that the LT155 does not have MLA. Sorry to say, it does, look at the LT155 or LT156 Manual which is the LT154/LT155/LT156 manual and if you look at the spec sheet is say that LT155 and LT156 have MLA (Miro Lens Array).

·
Registered
5,132 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Boy, it really is hard to get opinions on anything other than the LT150 around here, isn't it? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I just bought an LT154 and I'm very happy with it. I project to an 84" screen and watch from 9' away and the screendoor is barely noticeable. Your mileage may vary, of course. But the way I look at it, even if I'm not subject to rainbows, about 10% of the population still is, which is why I went with the LCD. If I have 10 friends over to watch a movie, I'd rather everyone have an enjoyable viewing experience.

I think Huey is doing a disservice to the LCD line, claiming that only the LT156 has the MLA. That's definitely not true. There are three LT15x LCD models:
  • LT154 - 900 lumens, no MLA
  • LT155 - 1200 lumens with MLA
  • LT156 - 1200 lumens with MLA and DVI input

All three use the same lamp, and the MLA is primarily used to boost light output, so from the specs it is clear that the 155 uses MLA. The review you cited indicates that as well. The MLA is also supposed to help reduce screendoor, though I have not personally witnessed it.

The LT154 is only available through Dell in the U.S., and it's about the same price as the LT150, and both are close to $2k with the 20% deal going on. If you've got $3k to spend, you can use the rest to get a nice HTPC to drive it. Believe me, it makes a big difference on film source DVDs!

Aaron

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Aaron,

I agree with you about the screen door and the rainbows.

I also bought the LT154 for the same reason. Fear of the rainbows, not for me but for my guest.

I sit about 12' and the projector is about 10' and I don't even see the screen door. Now if I put the Projector further than 10' I begin to see the screen door.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I already have an HTPC. The $3000 budget is purely for the projector, screen, and cables. I understand that MLA makes a difference by softening pixel edge as well? BTW, Huey makes a good point about dead pixels. How likely? also, if I play video games will an LCD screen get "burn in"?

I guess I'd be happy with either the 150 or the 155, or other options such as the 154. Are there other options I should consider? I know these sound like newbie questions, but I've been reading this forum for a long time and the only real consensus I've found is that the LT150 for 1700 was a steal. OK, I'll grant you that, but what's the story now? Again, thanks for the help, I have a big homework session coming up I guess.

------------------

·
Registered
68 Posts
Swarm,

Here's a little thinking outside the box. Take a look at the Panasonic PT-L711U, 1,400 lumens. Lots of places are having a sale on them now (they're being replaced by the 711XU which has 1600 lumens and a 4,000 hour lamp life, although at it's econo level at 1,200 lumens).

In another thread, I published the results of a shootout I did with the 711U against the LT156, the Epson 810p, and InFocus LP530. The Panasonic blew away the LT156 in brightness, contrast (yes, even though it's rated at 300:1), and video image quality. Also, it's short throw lens will give you a bigger image at the same distance as the LT156.

Good luck!

Honcho

------------------

Honcho

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Lots of places are having a sale on them now
Thanks for the pointer. Which places are having sales on the Panasonic? The only retailer listed in pricewatch.com listed for over $4200. Remember I'm looking to stay in the $3000 range.

------------------

·
Registered
68 Posts
Swarm,

Try Ryan Law at CCS Presentations in San Jose, CA (408) 573-6248. Also, look at avmarketplace.com . I've been told the street price of the 711U dropped by $1,000 now that the 711XU is shipping.

Honcho

------------------

Honcho

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Swarm,

No, there is no burn in on LCD's when playing games are other stationary images...that occurs only with CRT and plamsa sets.

------------------

David Mendicino

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all. I think I will wait a few weeks to see if dell pulls another end of quarter stunt. That gives me time to think over the many options.

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.