AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HDMI DVD player has "LT/RT" and "Stereo" options in the audio menu. I don't have a surround set-up, just a low-powered 3.1 system. I know I need to feed it 2-channel signals and LT/RT sounds a bit sharper than stereo. What does LT/RT mean?

·
Registered
31,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot /forum/post/0

What does LT/RT mean?

Lt/Rt = Left total, Right total. When converting 5.1-channel material to 2 channels, you have a choice of folding the information down to get a regular stereo OR you can downmix it using matrix surround encoding.

The latter makes it easier to extract centre and surround channels later from the 2-channel downmix because they are encoded in a specific manner. The 2 channels aren't just typical L/R stereo, they are Lt/Rt (each channel contains matrix encoded information as part its total contents).

So when you see Lt/Rt, you know it is surround sound being delivered in 2 channels.

BTW, why aren't you sending the 5.1-channel signal from your player and letting your receiver fold the soundtrack down to 3 channels instead of 2? This way, at least you'll have a discrete centre channel instead of a matrix derived one.

Sanjay

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/0

BTW, why aren't you sending the 5.1-channel signal from your player and letting your receiver fold the soundtrack down to 3 channels instead of 2? This way, at least you'll have a discrete centre channel instead of a matrix derived one.

Sanjay

Oh, duh! I don't know why I didn't think of that. Shows how little I know about audio.

It's a real cheap-o Altec Lansing system designed for videogames/PCs. I replaced all the speakers with left-over Sonys. It's Dolby PL and I thought the surrounds sounded rather invisible and, well, crappy. Disconnecting them gave me a noticable power boost, so I left it at 3.1.

So my question is, can this thing actually decode a center channel seperately? I'm not sure if it's even Dolby PLII.

I'm gonna need to learn a lot more about sound before I spend money on my first REAL HT system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.