AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had experience with both projectors? How about a "thumperized" LT100 compared to an LT150?

Sources are DVD from Panasonic RPK91 & will soon include HDTV/Sat through Dish 6000 on 92" wide 16x9 Dalite hi-power screen. Seating distance is 14' from screen, ceiling mounted projector.

Thanks for the help.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've used both projectors on the same screen.

Even though the CR is supposed to be higher on the 150, I wasn't able to discern it. (The Lt100 had been highly tweaked, the 150 tweaked just lightly)

The Lt100 had an edge in brightness by virtue of its higher lumen output.

The Lt100's manual zoom makes a big difference in my opinion in initial install/setup.

The light engines are essentially the same I think, although the 150's built-in scaler/de-interlacer might be better. I did not notice any improvement since I was feeding them both native resolution and bypassing the scaler.

Andrew.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andrew. Would you say any additional money would be better spend on the "Thumper" mods?

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I compared both projectors on the same screen earlier this week. The LT150 is certainly a great little projector, but if you already have the LT100, I don't think it's worth upgrading, as the picture quality is about the same.

The scaler in the LT100 gives a slightly softer image than the LT150's. However, the LT150's scaler is so sharp that there are very noticeable scaling artifacts if the source is not 1024x768. For this reason, I would say that the LT100 can display progressive signals from a DVD player more acceptably than the LT150.

Another benefit to the LT100 is that it can display 576p (progressive PAL) with no problems; apparently the LT150 cannot.

In addition to considering Thumper's mods, I would recommend having the LT100 calibrated by ghibliss . It makes a huge improvement. For best results, the calibration should be done after the Thumper modifications.

[This message has been edited by Mark Fontana (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark. The scaler info is good to know. I actually currently use a Quadscan Pro for de-interlacing/scaling duties, and will be receiving the RPK91 shortly.

Thanks again.

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
822 Posts
Steve,

Yes, IMO a calibrated and enhanced(Thumperized,Improved Gamma curve) LT100 will give an LT150 a run for its money.

I am not sure about the efficacy of these enhancements on an LT150.

Andrew.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.