AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that most folks here are big fans of the LT150 as an excellent low-cost performer. I want to know what the general take is on the LT156, which seems an awful lot like the LT150, but with DVI input and 1100 lumens (versus 800). It seems like a great deal: prices on the web are around $3500. In this price ballpark ($3500-$4500) would a LT156 be a pretty good bet for playing video games and watching DVDs?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you don't mind "the rainbow effect" and do mind "the screendoor effect" then get the LT150 which is a DLP projector.

But, if you don't mind "the screendoor effect" and do mind "the rainbow effect" then get the LT155/156 which is an LCD projector.

This is what I have observed personally and from the forum.

I "do" mind the rainbow effect and that is why I have an LT154. The LT154 is the same as the LT155/156 without DVI and MLA.

It works great for both DVD's and Video Games. The MLA even further helps with screendoor, but on my 154 I rarely notice it, especially at > 11 feet from the screen at 100" diag 4:3.

Have fun...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
With Dell's 20% off, LT154 is only $2110 before tax (shipping is free, tax may or may not apply depending on state). Search "LT150 bulb" for 20% off link. There is an additonal 2% off if you join some club (also found in that same link). LT154 has longer life (2000 hr vs. 1000 hr) bulb too for about the same cost ($300) as LT150 bulb. It also has zoom while LT150 does not. LT154 also have less light leakages (halo, arc of light on ceiling, etc. which can be masked off at PJ or on walls/ceiling) LT154 also tend to be a little quieter in ceiling mode (LT150 has higher fan speed and higher pitch noise in this mode). Even with all these advantages of LT154, I still chose LT150 due to 1) better contrast (800:1 vs. 400:1), 2) less chance of dead pixels (DLP has 1/3 the panel and therefore 1/3 the risk), 3) shorter throw (bigger image in smaller room), 4) lessen need for masking (LT150's blacks are soooo good that black bars are not distracting while gray bars of LT154 requires masking--masking will still improve image even more on LT150 IMHO), 5) less screendoor effect (pixelization). If you'd never seen DLP, you should get LT154 as there is a 10% chance you'd see rainbows to varying degrees depending on scenes, movies, screen size, screen types on LT150. If you ceiling mount, LT154 will be less noisy and table mount mode they should be equal. LT150 may need a hushbox construction.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd like to provide one more thumb up for the LT154. If you are considering the LT156 I would recommend checking the LT154 out first, for $2100 I don't think you can go wrong. I am familiar with the LT155, with MLA, and the difference is not as great as one would think, definitely not another 2 grand better. I agree with Huey that the DLP LT150 will provide a better picture if you can live with the rainbow and lack of zoom.

-Kai

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The club Huey referred to is ebates.com. If you join them and click through them before you order, they will rack up your 2% "rebate". They mail out rebate checks quarterly if your rebate balance is at least a certain amount (maybe $25 - don't remember). If not, they hold onto it till the next quarter, etc. I've received a "rebate" (I think just one) check from them in the past. Right now I have about $66 accrued between buying the LT85 and other things I've bought online. The biggest rebate that they offer on stores that already have good prices is usually about 5% max. I believe buy.com is another good store "on their list" and they only give you about 2%, but every bit counts. There are actually a lot of stores that affiliate with them. If you join, I recommend downloading their "Mo Money Maker" browser plugin as it usually will alert you when you visit an online store that they're affiliated with (again, if you don't click through ebates.com before you buy, you usually miss out).

Sorry if this sounds like an ad. I'm in no way affiliated with them. I've just gotten a few bucks back from them by using them, so they seem legit. BTW, since we're on the topic of saving money, a great site to check regularly is techbargains.com (dealios.com is pretty good too) as they update their sites daily to inform you about the various coupons that online stores are offering.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.