AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing an LT150 sight unseen, and I have some aspect ratio question(s).

I have a 16:9 screen and want to view 4:3 material. Here's my questions.

1) How will it be presented on the 16:9 screen? i.e. black bars on the left and right?

2) If it does black bars to the left and right, is there a left / right stretch mode so you can fill a 16:9 screen?

Looking for suggestions on set up parameters from 16:9 screen users. How do you view your 4:3 material?

My last projector, a Mitsubishi VL-2000, had an option in the installation menu for screen type. 16:9 or 4:3 Both component (YpYbYr) and RGB signals worked with this setting.

When in the 16:9 screen mode, 4:3 material had bars on the left and right. There was a button to stretch the 4:3 signal left and right to fill the 16:9 screen.

Here are the screens I have.

1) Stewart Communicator 84" diagonal, 4:3, Video Matte 2000 (2.0 gain),tab tensioned, that I've had since 1995. It still looks and works like new, not a wrinkle in it.

2) Vutec Fixed Frame 103" diagonal, 16:9, Bright White, 1.5 gain.

Since most of my viewing is usually movies on the 16:9, if I can't watch 4:3 material within it, the way I want, I will probably mount the 4:3 screen and pull it down in front of the the 16:9, fixed screen when watching 4:3.

Am I crazy to mess with all of this, or should I just buy a larger 4:3 screen and watch all my material on it. BTW, my wife really objects to large bars at the top and bottom when watching a movie. 2:35 material especially.

Your thoughts are appreciated in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
121 Posts
hornmt

>1) How will it be presented on the 16:9 screen? i.e. black bars on the left and right?

No, there is a cinema aspect ratio mode on the projector for all inputs except RGB that vertically compresses the signal into a 16:9 aspect but does not compress the sides, resulting in fatvision.

There is a solution. The iScan pro will insert black bars on the left and right but you must use the iScan in component output mode only, RGB out will not allow you to adjust the aspect ratio from the projector. As long as you are aware of the limitations of the projector as far as the inputs go, it will work extremely well for you, but you may want to read my article on "Why the LT150 Sucks" for those limitations.

BTW, DO NOT buy a 4:3 screen with this projector unless the only 4:3 image you view is from a HTPC. The low res sources should occupy the smallest portion of the screen, not the largest.

Good luck,

Steve

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
You can also choose Native Mode which will display 4:3 material in the center of the 16:9 screen with black bars either side and no distortion.

That's what I'd suggest.

Steve

------------------
Steve's Photos

Today's Equipment List

·
Registered
846 Posts
Call me a home theater pagan, but I have actually gotten used to watching 4:3 material in "cinema" 16:9 mode.

FYI: (And someone correct me if I've brain locked and am spouting wrong info) Native mode is only available when using S-Vid input on the LT150.

--Les

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I watch 4:3 nature scenery video(IMAX...), I also use cinema mode, but for movies, it's really strange to watch fatten humans.

The LT-150 can only use native resolution through S-Video input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the replies.

Stevehifi,

Your answer really helped explain the aspect ratio point.

Regarding "Why the LT150 sucks", I agree that it does need additional RGB / Component inputs. At least 1 additional would really help matters.

I have a DVDO (V1, not the Pro), and a Dish 6000 and it looks like at this point I would have to buy some sort of Component switch for these. Any suggestions? BTW, my pre-amp has no component inputs/ output, so that's out of the question.

Matt

·
Registered
855 Posts
By the way, if you use the RS-232 control port of the LT150, the aspect ratio (normal, zoom, wide zoom and cinema) and scaler controls (native and auto) can be turned on and off for all input types (RGB included).

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
846 Posts
Huck,

No kidding? I wonder why they opted to leave it out of the menu.

Great news though. Looks like the little RS232 java program I wrote is going to come in handy afterall.

--Les

·
Registered
855 Posts
Les - Yeah, no kidding. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I'm guessing the designers didn't count on people hooking up RGB inputs that need this type of conrol. An oversight, plain and simple. It IS a presentation projector, right? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I've been using the stuff from the Girder site to do the native/auto and cinema/normal changes. There seem to be some timing issues for video sources but the other stuff appears to work fine.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Huckster,

I cut pins 13 and 14 on the cable from my Iscan Pro in order to get Cinema mode to work. Unfortunately SDTV isn't as good in component mode as RGB. Are you saying that I can use Cinema mode in RGB? How would I use the RS232 port to do this? Can I make a one-time change and leave it?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Has anyone tried viewing DVDs from a progressive scan DVD player with the LT150 resolution set to native to avoid scaling artifacts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.