AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that there a a million LT150s out there, can someone answer me this question: How is the LT150 in ambient light? I can foresee two quite distinct scenarios I would use a projector: at night, with low/none ambient light for DVD viewing etc..., and general TV viewing during the day (i.e. football,baseball) etc....

I am quite prepared to sacrifice image quality for daytime viewing, so is there a way to store two separate brightness/constrast/other settings for easy switching between day/night viewing, so that I get decent brightness during the day, but good contrast/filmlike quality at night?

Secondly or thirdly (if people are counting http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) ,when the lt150z comes out, will its extra lumens (1000 total) and increased contrast ratio make daytime viewing better? Are increases in lumens linear wrt the eye?

And here's the other question now I remember it:

Most people seem to be using an HTPC, or component /progressive inputs. How about the standard S-video input? Is it watchable for standard cable/replaytv signals?

Thanks in advance!

Chris....

------------------

This is not a .sig

[This message has been edited by jimbob (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Chris,

Some absolutely ignorant answers to your questions. I just set up a Lt150 next to my G15. The ambient light question depends upon the size and type of the screen, the direction of the light and your expectations. The D-ILA, with nearly twice the rated light output of the Nec was much brigher but did not appear twice as bright. Perception of brightness is in no way linear. The little guy did, however, hold its own in just about every way. I admit that I am used to the droning of the G15 but the Nec sounded quiet and looked very good. I would not pay more just for another two hundred lumens. I chose the G15 over a G11 because my wife wanted to sew or read or whatever during movies.

I used the S input from a Tivo/Directv unit. It looked good. Later when I get the cabling straighted out I will try HD and scaling from a Rock. I'll let you know how they appear. The seductive thing about this hobby to me is that something that looks fine now will so ofen benefit from this new box or that tweak. I assume it will be so with this little toy. I plan to use it at a beach house and the audience will not be a very critical one. Will probably use it with a CrystalImage processor

I was pleased to find out that the Nec will accept component input, albeit through a VGA type connector. I will probably rig up a switch so that it will use HD and progresssive DVD signals. Art

[This message has been edited by Art Lloyd (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hi Chris.

I'm one of the new 150 owners. Personally unless you have total light control this projector is not for you. This projector needs little or no ambient light present.

There are no settings that you can use that will make the image tolerable in daylight.

As far as svideo goes - I have digital cable and find it tolerable.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Most of the demos I've given have had some indirect ambient light and everyone is blown away by the image quality. Certainly a dark room is better but IMO it's watchable in other conditions. BTW, I have a Da-Lite high power screen.

------------------

Tom L.

NEC LT150 FAQ

My stuff, pictures, HTPC, and screen tests

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input, guys, even if it is a little disparate http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

I would most likely end up using a HighPower screen (thanks to Tom's excellent comparisons). Would I be right in assuming that due to its directionality, ambient light from the side would not interfere too much with the picture? Any seating arrangements for me would not have a problem with off-axis viewing.

Of course the only real way to find out is to try one out...

Decisions, decisions...

Anyone else using this in semi-controlled daylight?

------------------

This is not a .sig

·
Registered
18 Posts
One thing about ambient light in my experience -- natural (sun) light has a much greater effect than a lamp. I can easily watch on the LT150 with some small lamps on. Sunlight through the windows really devastates the picture, though. This is projecting on an off-white wall.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It depends on your image size. A Greyhawk or equivalent can be used with an LT150 with a 90" or smaller screen to improve black level and color saturation with the risk of some loss of definition for dark material in higher ambient.

The cost of a Greyhawk is a substantial fraction of the cost many paid for their LT150s.

------------------

Ken Elliott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.