AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
actually, this would probably apply to all DLP's, but like everybody and his 1/2 brother, i actually ordered the NEC from Dell (fingers crossed). But this has me kind of worried now that i think about it.

a few months ago after seeing the 17K Runco set-up locally, i was stoked for a good projector. i knew there was no way i afford that one , so, maybe i didn't really take into account its drawbacks-namely RAINBOWS.

i had the same reaction after a few minutes that one fellow who posted from Texas here had after a couple days with his new LT150.

at first, the picture was seriously impressive, i didn't realize home theater projectors had become this good (we're not exposed to many in this neck of the woods), but quickly i found out what all this rainbow talk was.

on the frenetic Gladiator clip they screened, i could see brief flashes of red,yellow,green,blue trails...every few seconds at some points. if an arm was making a slashing motion, a flash of spectrum colors would trail behind it in that split second. i'd never seen this phenomenon before, so i was more curious that upset.

however i now wonder, with a possible DLP in my future, if all my classic Black and White films will be unwatchable as a result of this. rainbows in a color movie might be an irritant (for under $2k, though...i guess you can't really complain), but rainbows on a black and white movie would seem to be really unwatchable.

am i working myself up over nothing or is this a real concern?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phreddy:
I have not seen the LT150 in action so I have no idea if it is really prone to this or not..
Oh, shame on you PP. Definitely worth a look if you get a chance.

--Les

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I'm always stunned by people who don't see rainbows on dlps, any dlps, even the Selecos. do these guys have special eyes or what ?

I and friends can see the rainbows on any dlps we saw. try that Roy Orbison mega concert in black and white dvd on e Seleco for instance: ouch!!!!!!! horrible

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mr. Ckolchak:

Since you live in Buffalo, you will see SNOW on your 150, not rainbows.

Couldn't resist. (But maybe you're too young to remember "snow" and rabbit-ears antennas.)

Seriously, though, when I had my Infocus 350, also a DLP, the only thing that bothered me about black and white movies was the relative lack of contrast, compared to my Tosh RPTV. (That should be no problem with the 150.) But I never saw rainbows or sparklies in ANY movie in three weeks of heavy view time. I did see the halo around the screen, but masking handles that.

I guess some of us just don't see rainbows, visually or philosophically. But some forum members have complained about suddenly "learning" to see them. Fellow Memphian Randy Morton said that after several months with his 150 the rainbows just "happened." But he has learned how to tune them out, so to speak, and loves his 150 (which looks AMAZING).

I am actually looking forward to watching B&W movies on the 150. Fred and Ginger, Errol Flynn, Ronald Colman, Bette Davis--now if the studios would just release more of their movies on DVD!

Mike

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Mike,

that's a little encouraging.

i've got a bunch of good stuff i've been waiting for the proper time to watch:

High Noon

All About Eve

but you're right. the studios are still sitting on a lot of great stuff. i still have some good stuff on LD, but i don't think a mere composite connection is going to be all that worthwhile. time to look into a replacement LD player, perhaps?

right now, they look great on my sony HS10, but they make some of the grand widescreen movies seem a little less thrilling...even though its still a huge step up from the 32" upstairs.

I am so up for constant height/ variable width...Bring it on!

even if it takes a while to set up for each screening.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
David, I believe (quite strongly) that refresh rate has a lot to do with this... If you have a scaler that is adjustable (or HTPC) crank the RR up to the max of the PJ (and try a few settings in between)...

I have been able to spot them on other PJ's and at 60hz they are possible to discover by trying...

I have heard comments that the Davis units are very good in the rainbow dept (could the triple buffering have anything to do with it ??)...

Arrow, I am in a HT black hole here in Europe and so most purchases need to be really well researched and then a lot of legwork done to get sub optimal viewing.. Kinda makes you happy with what you have http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif !!

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
508 Posts
According to this thread a person experienced MORE rainbow after increasing the refresh rate: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/007405.html

I wonder if those who can and cannot see the "rainbow" effect has anything to do with color blindness, which is a somewhat common human trait.

------------------

Jude Barnes

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Mike,

Not quite right. You must have misunderstood something I said. I always saw the rainbows, I just don't see them all the time and I live with them because it is such a great picture otherwise. I don't understand how some people don't see them. I can see them anytime I want if I move my eyes quickly across the screen. If I don't think about them I can go for a whole movie sometimes and never see them. I see them the same with HTPC & Prog DVD. Also several months sounds longer than the 3 months I've had the projector, but I guess it is technically correct.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What about turning off the color wheel (add a switch to the motor.) Assuming it's set to the clear section, that should eliminate the rainbow effect. This assumes the LT150 has a clear section, and that stopping the wheel would not cause it to overheat.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I am not certain if the post above mine is serious or not, but I guess that is just a newbie error.

(That is because if you turn off the colour wheel, you would only get 1 colour...)

However, when speaking of Seleco, are you talking about the 200DM, or the regular 200 with the RGB wheel, as oppossed to RGBRGB?

If you still see rainbows with the RGBRGB wheel...well..that is disconcerting.

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by David Mendicino (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
The post was meant seriously, however, it very well may be a newbie mistake.

As I understand it, some DLP projectors come with a three section wheel (RGB,) and others come with a 4 section wheel (RGB with an additional clear section.)

You also have the 6 section RGBRGB wheel that you mentioned, (and maybe?) an 7-8 section one one as well, with one or two clear sections?

Anyway, my suggestion in my previous message assumed the LT150 has one of these wheels with the clear section.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Morton:
Mike,

Not quite right. You must have misunderstood something I said. I always saw the rainbows, I just don't see them all the time and I live with them because it is such a great picture otherwise. I don't understand how some people don't see them. I can see them anytime I want if I move my eyes quickly across the screen. If I don't think about them I can go for a whole movie sometimes and never see them. I see them the same with HTPC & Prog DVD. Also several months sounds longer than the 3 months I've had the projector, but I guess it is technically correct.

Randall,

I also see the colorwheel effect on my DLP, but only very rarely and for a fleeting fraction of a second. I was wondering: Do you wear glasses or contacts, and if so, whether that might contribute to the problem? Perhaps, the reflective surface of eyewear makes the effect more visible? Also, I have wondered whether the type of projector mount may also play a role in the visibility of the artifact? In other words, is the effect more apparent with a ceiling mount as opposed to a table or platform mount? Could it be that the angle at which the projected light strikes the screen and is subsequently reflected to the viewers serves to intensify or obscure the effect? I have no idea...I was just thinking out loud.

Happy home theater-ing!

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
197 Posts
Tom,

Thats something I also have thought about. I wear contacts, and the only time I can be sure to *really* see them on my LT150 is when I intentionally blink looking off to the side to refocus or center my contacts.

I don't do this very often during a movie so it doesn't really bother me.

I also need to get my prescription updated....but with a projector at home who has time for that? :)

-Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.