AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma re. cabling. The distance between LT-150 and HTPC is ~ 20ft, however I should run at least 40-45ft long cable to hide them and make it look clean. How do you guys handle this issue in general?

HD15 (RGB/VGA) cable can run this long w/o quality loss, right? According to the manual, I'd need a distribution amplifier. Does it solve the problem w/o any image quality loss? If so, where do I find one? Is there any other way of getting around this problem?

I've been thinking a lot and came down to moving the HTPC near to the projector, then I realized I'll need to run 40 ft spdif coax cable from maudio to the AV receiver.. can spdif cable handle it w/o amplification??

Then I was thinking about moving the whole AV systems together near by pj. Well, it's possible, but then I'll need longer (40ft) speaker cables for front and center (those are very expensive (bi-cabling) + also quality loss is huge).. W/ surround speaker, I can live w/ 40ft long somewhat cheapo cable, but if it comes to main/center speaker, I don't think it's a solution.

Please, help me to solve this problem!!!

Thank you

-Sung Mo

------------------

- Mo

·
Registered
578 Posts
According to our fellow members that have experimented on this problem and laid out the ground work for which we can follow, 40ft seems to be the maximum run for a HD15 (RGB/VGA) without apparent signal loss. These guys have even outlined a procedure on to how to make this type of cable for about $25-$45. Check out this thread. It is quite a read, but well worth for the wealth of info it contains on the subject.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006683.html

·
Registered
216 Posts
The 40' SPDIF coax might be easier to do. You could use RG59 coax with screw on RCA adapters. It's a pretty inexpensive solution for long runs of digital coax. I read about it here in the forum and I made one myself that works fine.

Randy D

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I'd always allow the shortest, highest quality affordable video cable possible as it's the most prone to interference and image degradation. The coaxial digital sound can be 50+ foot and be OK if you use shielded RG6 coaxial (TV cable type) and use coax-->RCA adapters like Randy said (it's also a lot cheaper: shielded RG6 cabling=$8 at 100 foot roll at Big Lots (white), $15 at 50 foot roll at Radioshack (black), and adaptors are $4 for 2 (one for each end) at Radioshack (gold plated). I have 50 foot of this type cabling and there is NO sound differences compared to 6 foot Monster cable RCA cabling. Digital is digital, bits are bits, either they all get there or they don't. Compared this to $100 for a good 50 foot VGA cable. You make the call.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I doubt that you would see much difference between RG6 and RG59. You are basically talking sub-RF frequencies, so length attenuation should not be a factor. RG59 might be a little easier to route since it is smaller.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!! I decided to keep HTPC and pj together and try run long spdif cable... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif BTW, just wondering if x10 ( http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk57a.htm ) can transfer this spdif signal wireless.. Any one tried before??

MAudio -> spdif (rca) -> x10 transmitter -> x10 reciever -> AV reciever -> Would this work??

------------------

- Mo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.