AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the "new" HD Demo on Bell ExPressvu CH. 285??

If you didn't you should! It's breath taking to say the least.

Let's face it...when HDTV is properly filmed (in focus) it's absoloutly an amazing picture. The colors coming out of this projector is mind bogling for it's size and for it's price!

All this watching on a 48x84 screen size that I paid $37.95 (A regular white vinyl blind).

If you want to see a good HD program, I strongly suggest you watch CSI on CBS Thursday nights at 21:00. To me it's the best HD show outhere.

I ordered my Hipower yesterday and can't wait to see this on that screen. A heartattack in the making.

Please anyone share your impressions regarding HDTV and the LT150. I'm curious to see what others think about this little beauty through a HD signal!

Sincere regards,

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm using a HTPC for everything. WinDVD 3.0 with Matrox G400 at 72 Hz vertical refresh, WinTV-HD set to 1024x768 RGB with I assume 60 Hz vertical refresh.

I haven't tried the composite or S-Video inputs yet, but perhaps tonight I'll give it a try.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this little projector. It's going to be my primary HT projector. The only serious negative so far is that I need to exchange the one I have since it has a dead pixel right in the middle of the panel. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif I don't know what NEC's policy is about dead pixels, but having one out right in the primary viewing area should be considered a justifiable defect.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I tried a few different refresh rates. As was posted in another thread by Frode, the LT150 has a fixed frequency color wheel. Changing the refresh rate does not seem to affect the presence of rainbow artifacts.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I watched part of Leno last night with the LT150. It looked pretty good on my 104 in. wide 16x9 screen. This projector has significantly better contrast than my LP1000B. The Leno set looked very 3D.

I did notice that Leno's shirt collar was giving either the camera or the projector trouble. It was overly white even with the white section turned off. I've noticed something similar in the past with the LCD.

I tried watching a few movies. Most looked terrific. "Lost in Space" makes this projector look like a Mighty Might, but "Dark City" really brings out the rainbows. This is very dark movie and the contrast brings out the details, but many of the lights in the movie have pronounced rainbows. When the foreground action draws your eye across the screen against a dark backdrop with one or two bright lights, it almost impossible to not see a slight rainbow artifact.

[This message has been edited by JoeFloyd (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys,

I was really hoping to hear from people who are watching this LT150 with a "HIGH DEFINATION" signal.

So I'm bumping this thread up.

Please post some comments...I'm sure I'm not the only one watching HiDef.

Thanks again

·
Registered
363 Posts
HDTV looks great on my LT150. The only problem is now everything else looks inadequate by comparison.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The HD image comes up right in the middle of the pannel.

Feed the LT150 a FULL PANNEL image via component S or composite. Go to advanced options. Select aspect and sellect CINEMA. This will tell you where to mount the projector to get a 16:9 image with a fixed width that could change to 4:3 same width.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hate HDTV with the Lt150. I have started watching regular tv again (mostly CBS) and cable and sat tv is almost unwatchable. It's like owning a ferrai that you can only drive 5 minutes a day.

·
Registered
711 Posts
This is slightly off-topic but what the heck. I am just shooting my LT150 onto a white wall right now. I have Time Warner Digital Cable.

I found that on the premium channels (non HD), the picture looks very good. However, on the regular channels NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX (non HD) the picture looks very grainy.

Is this because these regular channels aren't digital and the premium channel are? Will HD HBO and HD Showtime look even better than regular HBO and Showtime over digital cable? Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I will be setting up my LT150 on Tuesday for my 16:9 screen, but won't be getting my HDTV receiver until a few days later. I want to try to position the projector in the right place so that I won't have to move it again when I start to use it for HDTV. Does the projector put the HDTV image in the top, bottom, or middle of the panel? Or is it really none of these precisely? And if the image ends up being a bit too high or low on my screen, are there controls for minor positional adjustments? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Don,

TWC digital cable broadcasts most (all?) premium channels digitally, which for TWC here (in Chapel Hill, NC) means that all channels above 100 are digital and a very few below 100 are digital (e.g., ESPN2, SciFi and few others for TWC-CH). Most channels below 100 are still analog and will look grainy. YMMV in your area.

When you get a HD cable box, if it is like the one that I have, you'll notice that the HD channels are very crisp, but the non-HD, digital channels are slightly softer than with the regular digital cable box when you use the YPrPb output. I'm guessing that is due to the scalar in the HD box.

On a small HDTV, you might not notice the difference, but when projecting a large image, any source imperfections are going to show up much more dramatically.

Kevin

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don,

Go to www.titantv.com and log in. It will list all the digital channels available to you and schedules for the others. It's not 100% accurate as far as upcoming channel dates, but still very useful.

Chivs

·
Registered
276 Posts
I purchased a Samsung SIR-T150 yesterday and hooked it up to my LT-150. Wow, the picture is absolutely stunning. Leno looked great, the PBS shows were wonderful, and it even made Diagnosis Murder somewhat bearable with the sound off. Can't wait for college football on CBS! I've tried running the STB at both 720P and 1080i, can't see much difference.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Don,

The way that I tell which channels are digital is as follows:

1. select the channel that I want to test and change to that channel,
  2. change to channel 999 (the diagnostics channel),
  3. scroll down to the "RF Network" page,
  4. look at "Tuning Mode".[/list=a]

If the channel you selected to test is a digital channel, the tuning mode will say something like "QAM 256"; otherwise, it will say "ANALOG". Note: I don't know how universal this diagnostic channel is, but it appears to work in the RDU TWC area. YMMV.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by kem (edited 08-04-2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.