AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody combo'd the LT150 with the DVDO iscan Pro? If so, can you give me some feedback as to how much of an improvement it makes with TV, VHS, LD sources. I am also wondering if anybody has successfully ceiling-mounted an LT150. What is a proper mount?

Thanks alot in advance

Len

------------------

Len

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have an older DVDo Plus that I use to upconvert svideo images to 480p for my LT150(I have a progressive scan DVD player for movies).

It definitely improves the picture. There is more depth, better image detail, and better colors than before. Its a subtle improvement, but in many areas....so it adds up to a markedly better picture.

Plus, I got my progressive scan DVD player and this used DVDO for less than the cost of the DVDO Pro (which adds component input). So, I'm happy.

-Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Len:

I have the LT150 with the IScan Pro, but I can't comment on the improvement with those sources, as I haven't tried them without the scaler. I love the image I'm getting running a non-progressive scan DVD player, and I can even stand watching cable TV sometimes.

I ceiling mounted my projector yesterday, using the Peerless model PADP-NC4 mount. It is their standard ceiling mount along with an adapter plate designed for the LT150, and it was simple to mount.

If you have any questions e-mail me at:

[email protected]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Be aware that the iScan pro also has a front panel switch that squeezes the image horizontally, and will allow those of you with an ISCO or Panamorph to watch 4x3 images centered in a 16x9 screen without removing the lens, a great feature. The iScan also does your switching among DVD and NTSC sources, but will not handle HD or computer inputs. You'll need an external switchbox to use these with your projector, unless you switch your cables all the time.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm interested in some more feedback here as well.

Does the cost of a DVDO unit justify itself with an improvement with non-interlaced video signals ie cable, VHS, LD etc.

Thanks

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks alot for the input. I should be receiving my LT150 today or tomorrow (dell 20% off). I also ordered the ceiling mount from dell which as discussed here, is not the correct mount. I came across what appears to be a bargin on the iScan Pro in the classified section, but would just as soon see the image from the 150 before going hog wild on supplementals. Hopefully the gentleman will still have the unit available after my initial setup. As a "Beta-phile", I am assuming that I will benefit from the iScan. We'll see!!

Thanks again

------------------

Len

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Any sort of a scaler/doubler will help as the internal scaling of the LT150 (as well as most digital projectors) leaves something to be desired. An actual scaler would be better than just a doubler in that it will actually change the resolution to match the LT150 perfectly, bypassing the internal scaling altogether. Something like a Quadscan Elite or Crystal Image would be a good match. A lot of people use HTPC's with their LT150's.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jason,

thanks for the insight. Regarding the htpc, (realizing this is not the correct forum for this) are people connecting their vcr's, cable tv, ld, etc... also to the computer to utilize the scaling/deinterlacing throughput to the projector?

------------------

Len

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can use a video capture card to obtain out board sources like cable TV, etc., but there are problems. Usually there is only one input, and the input tends to be noisy. Using an HTPC to scale external sources can be done, but it's not a strength.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I don't know, if you are already using an HTPC for dvd with your lt150 (which is the combo that started all the hype-and rightfully so.) Then you can add a 40 dollar input card (or a KBK hotrod for around 140) and using free software get an image that rivals (some say surpasses) the dvdo series of scalers. This sounds like a strength to me.

Last night I did a comparison to my iscan v2 and dScaler(HTPC) and the differences were negligible. While the image was initially brighter on the iscan, I was able to change the gamma, contrast, and everything in-between, to give dScaler the edge.

I'd ask this question on the HTPC forum, if I you want more confirmations.

------------------

Adam

[This message has been edited by lawdawg (edited 08-07-2001).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'll have to do some experimenting. I have a PIII Sony Vaio I'll try some things with. I also have an old computer with a Matrox Rainbow runner and tv tuner card in that. I'll just have to pry it away from my 4 & 5 year old kids!!

thanks again for the suggestions.

(p.s. I have also become a forum addict. If I get fired from my job due to non-production, for starters I think I'll just go down to the substance abuse center, and sit it the waiting room for self-therapy)!!

------------------

Len

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.