AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still holding firm to my Laserdisc collection (until Mr. Lucas helps me out with some highly desired DVDs). I am close to purchasing an LT150 and the Panasonic RP56 Prog. DVD player. My dilema lies with the quality of a laserdisc image on the LT150. I don't want to purchase a new Prog. dvd player and the iScan Plus, but have heard that prog. dvd is much better than what the iScan will output for DVD. The iScan is my only way to increase the quality of laserdisc, and I do not want a HTPC.

Since those George Lucas movies are really the only ones that I watch on laserdisc, would I be suffieiently happy with the s-video image directly from laserdisc to LT150, and getting the better DVD image with the RP56, or is the iScan going to be a good enough image that I would be excited about the image produced for both DVDs and Laserdiscs?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I can't comment on the Iscan unfortunately but I can tell you that running a LD player directly through svideo is unwatchable. You end up with a very washed out picture.

This will become quickly apparent after you watch a progressive scanned DVD or HDTV.

From the posts I have read here - but don't quote me on it - even using something like the IScan with a LD still doesn't provide a satisfactory picture.

Fortunately my 50 inch RPTV pinch hits for LDs quite nicely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Pioneer CLD-704 laserdisc. I have the player hooked up to the LT150 (45"x80" screen) with a very high quality S-video cable and I am happy with the image,(especially CAV format). The picture is not progressive DVD quality but isn't that the reason for DVD. I do have to readjust the picture settings for laserdisc and dvd but I had to do this with my Zenith CRT projector before. Luckily I hung onto my copy of Video Essentials on laserdisc so this was easy and then I just wrote down the setting so I could switch back and forth. I watched side 3 of the Mission Impossible laser the other night and I was surprised that it was a pretty good picture.

I personally am moving away from my beloved laserdisc. I have all the classics that everyone wants but I rarely get to watch them because of all the great content on DVD now. I got to go and watch a new print of Raiders of the Lost Ark the other day at a local theater. It made me realize how spoiled we have become with dvd's and the remastering process they give new releases of older films on the format.

Long story short, I only use my theater for movie watching (maybe HDTV if Time Warner Cable pulls their head out). So I went with the LT150 and a Sony 700p progressive player. The laserdisc looks just fine hooked up with s-video after adjustment.

Hope this helped and didn't talk your ear off.

Greg

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
bergie33, I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I recently bought an LT85 (SVGA version of the LT150). I also bought an RP56 (my breakout cable just arrived). I watched some images from DVD through S-Video projected onto a wall and found the results to be more than acceptable. I'm therefore skeptical about just how much better the RP56 would be over an iScan. I'm not interested in LDs (I sold mine long ago), but I am interested in occasionally watching my DirecTiVo. If the improvements of the RP56 over the iScan are subtle, I might prefer to trade in my RP56 for either a cheaper interlaced player or the Sony 300 disc player. I already have an interlaced Sony, but it lacks DTS.

I'd love to see someone report back on this. Who knows, maybe it'll be me. Part of me is thinking of just buying an iScan Plus V2 off of ebay. I think I still have about 20 days left to return the RP56 to Sears.

Scott

·
Registered
175 Posts
What about a quadscan scaler? From what I understand, the Iscan is a deinterlacer only. I think the quadscan does deinterlacing and scaling, which would hopefully improve performance. Has anybody paired it with an LT150?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.