Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have the LT150 for a few weeks now and while I "stopped worrying and learned to love" the rainbow, the black level has been the next thing that has been bothering me. I'm eagerly awaiting hearing from Thumper and his LT150 mod. I've not purchased a screen yet but tested projecting on blockout material. While the colors have more punch, the black level is too gray. This pretty much rules out a white high gain screen for me. After searching the forum, I decided to try out a neutral density filter. I bought a cheap 62mm Kenko filter rated at 2 fstops for about $6 at a local photo shop. With the lens, the black level, while not inky black, is black enough for me to not object during some dark scenes in Crouching Tiger and Fight Club. Another great benefit to this filter is that it reduced my perceived rainbows in half. But of course, there is always a catch. While black level and rainbows are improved, the filter also affects bright scenes. Certain daytime scenes have an overcast look to them. For $6 I think it's something all LT150 owners should try out. Anyways, to me black level is more important so I'm sticking with the lens but I'm still looking for a screen. Has anyone performed a shootout on an LT150 with different gray screens (grayhawk or high contrast) and an ND filter? The Vutec black screen sounds too good to be true, but that would seem like the best candidate.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.