AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some research on several RGBHV switchers for my home theater. Among other things, I intend to route a HTPC through the switch using a VGA->5 BNC breakout cable. I am curious however... since the LT150 is a 'Plug and Play' device, will it still function properly in this configuration? In looking at the DB-15 HD VGA connector specs it appears that the only signals that will not be present at the projector end are related to monitor identification. Will this confuse the video card, OS, or projector?

Also, in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/008524.html

...there is a link to a Kramer RGBS switcher. Will this really work for a PC application (without some other interface)? I thought that both the horizontal and vertical sync signals had to be carried (thus the need for an RGBHV unit instead of RGBS).

Comments appreciated ...thx.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I know that an RGBHV switcher will work, since that's what I use. I guess maybe I'm losing any "plug and play" capability, but I'm not sure that matters very much. I'm just sending [email protected] to the LT150 from my laptop and my HTPC and it works fine through the switcher.

I don't know about RGBs however (horizontal and vertical syn combined.) Can the LT150 deal with RGBs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim. I'm pretty sure that the LT150 does not handle a RGBs signal. Perhaps more importantly, I assume that there would need to be some sort of adapter/interface from the video card in the HTPC to convert the RGB(HV) signal to RGBs. I guess that I can assume that the pointer to the Kramer RGBs switch in the thread that I reference above was provided in error (I hope that Bob Wood catches this ...I think that he is searching for an RGBs switch because of the referenced thread!).

The source of my concern is based on several conversations that I have had with technical support reps at Altinex, Kramer, and Inline. It turns out that the Inline and Altinex VGA (DB-15 HD) switches do not actually pass all 15 pins. They just pass the video specific pins (R, G, B, V, and H). I'm still chasing Kramer and will have an answer tomorrow. So you are in essence just getting an RGBHV switch with VGA connectors instead of the typical individual BNCs with these products.

My real concern with this is with compatibility of certain video cards. Some may well expect a signal (or ground even) on the monitor ID pins. It's my intent to go with an ATI Radeon variation initially ... hopefully I won't have a problem.

At any rate, I am pretty confident that I will forgo the VGA connector switch option and go with a BNC based RGBHV switch instead. My preference is for a passive design. Fortunately, there are several good options to choose from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.