AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was looking to try out the 723, but the circuit city i went to only had this model and, i think it was on sale.

picked it up and switched connections from the 5109, and with just a few quibbles i have to say the picture wasn't half bad.

picture appeared to be a hair finer than the 5109 and i definately didn't see the chroma bug. if this player does have it, its somewhat suppresed. i do notice it on the 5109.

problem clips on that player were pretty solid on the jvc.

if i have any problems in the few hours i tested it so far they would be

-what may be crawlies. most prevelant in scenes with large areas of flat light colors...skies etc.

this is actually is a little annoying, but i'm not totally certain what exactly this is.

could what i'm seeing here, in fact, just be film grain?

possibly more apparent on this player because of the slightly sharper image? like many problems, it's not readily apparent in every scene, and when i paused the picture i don't see it ( so that would rule out noise from the cable/connection right?)

the other deficet i see (hear) is the sound. i not sold on the sound quality of this player, although it's late at night, so i haven't really cranked anything yet.

i also saw a smidge of posterization in some shots of the opening trial sequence in Superman.

nowhere near as bad as when i tested the Sony DP700. the posterization on that player in this same instance was EXTREME and the main reason i took it back the next day.

i should say, though, that that one was hooked up to my HS10.

it may make a better match with this pj, but i was so soured on the player overall, i won't bother even checking it out again.

the sad part was that same player had noticeably finer audio output ( to my ears) than anything i've tried so far.

but picture quality, the main reason i would buy it, was sub-par.

the other big problem, although again-not a constant one, was it doesn't appear to be all that great of a de-interlacer. i did notice some jagged edges on some diagonals...a bit of a distraction, but this machine also has several progressive modes that i haven't spent too much time with, so who knows. maybe a different setting would make a major difference.

i'm sure with all the HTPC users here, that most of you won't give this JVC a second look. i can imagine there being a more pronounced difference between the picture from this player and a well set up pc, as opposed to some other players

but...and this is a big but -especially for some here

this player was only $248 after tax.

i never intended keeping the 5109. it was a seriously overpriced demo unit, and the chroma bug was quite visible to me in key passages from some of my favorite movies.

it did seem to be a bit less 'noisy', but i'll have to seriously a/b these today to say for sure.

other than that, flaws and all, i just may consider keeping this JVC. it's the best sub $300 progressive player i've found yet, and it just may tied me over well enough until, these kenwoods and philips players have come down in price.

btw- Memento looked just fine on this one proving once again, its always easier to get a decent picture when the source is good to begin with.

i'll be a/b ing this and the 5109 with more problem discs today and post the results if anyone is interested.

otherwise, for those on a very restricted budget, or for anyone very cautious about laying down alot of money on a progressive solution right now, this may be a very decent, economical interm solution.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ckolchak, try the RP56 (Panasonic). I have had a quick look at it and the image quality seems at least as good as the RP91. The RP56 apparently uses the Sage Chip! It sells for about $250.00 U.S. or $399.00 Canadian.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i may have to wait a while. the only store that stocks them here probably has my name flagged by now. i think i've taken 4 or 5 back already ( soon to be 6).

spent some more time with the jvc and i am stunned and confused.

this player has a terrible deinterlacer. none of the modes i've tried has seemed to make much of a difference.

what has me confused is-apart from that i LOVE the image this puts out!

i went thru scenes from a dozen discs and in about 10 out 12 instances i would say the picture is clearly nicer than that put out by the 5109.

scenes from Barry Lyndon had such a smooth, creamy look it was as close to film as i've seen so far.

The Night Stalker was unbelievable eye candy! the colors were vivid, stable and the whole picture had a depth and clarity that literally made me gape.

just about everything i put in looked spectacular.

The Fifth Element finally looked like reference material.

in addition, i love the little tweaking you can do in the player, in regard to gamma , etc.

and i absolutely adore the remote. well laid out, comfortable.

the sound was much better than i had first thought, and the crawlies, if thats what they were...i'm not convinced they weren't just film grain showing up clearly, were not an issue this second go around.

but the deinterlacing just plain sucks.

you can have this gorgeous image splashed across the screen, and then one tiny part of it reveals combing or jagged edges.

wow.

if it weren't for that obvious problem, i would keep this player in a heartbeat.

it's picture quality, to me, is flat out spectacular.

i think the chroma bug on the 5109 may have been affecting more aspects of some scenes than i thought. coming from LD a long way back, i just took some problems for granted...like noisy reds. this player has spun my head around.

as far as the panasonics go, didn't they also get poor marks for de-interlacing in the last shootout?

apart from jagged edges on diagonals, shimmering in tight patterns ( like car grills or blinds) and some slight moire...the picture rocks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ckolchak, this Panasonic is different - it wasn't in thelast DVD shootout and it uses (apparently) the latest and greatest deinterlacing chip - check on the DVD Hardware section of this forum - they're talking about it now!

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.