AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, I am a regular reader of this forum and have decided to finally buy one of the LT-150 B-Stocks. As you may guess I am on a budget. I plan to connect an RCA DTC-100 and a progressive/component DVD player. I saw this product posted on another thread: http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/pro...eItem=VP%2D201

which should be able to do the switching between the two. I do not know of anyone who actually tried it. I don't understand the specifications very well so any input would be helpful.

I understand that there are other solutions (video processors) but they are out of my budget, so if this works it seems like my best (inexpensive) solution. If there are others, I sure would like to know more.

Thanks,

Marcos

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I would bet that this item is worth the money. If only it had more inputs. I am using a cheap $15 4way SVGA switchbox and a $20 25' VGA cable with excellent results. I got them off ebay. My breakout cables for the DVD player to the switchbox were less than $10 and are high quality custom made cables. I just know how to shop around. I need 4 inputs for my Progessive scan DVD player, Sega Dreamcast, Microsoft Xbox, and one more for later maybe an HDTV tuner or a computer.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Marcos,

I don't think the Kramer switcher you linked us to will pass a progressive component signal. So if that's the case it won't help you with your progressive component DVD player output.

But if you can feed it the three component lines through the R, G and B connections at the HD15 connector it would be a very inexpensive solution. Maybe someone will confirm for us if that is possible. I would sure like to know. I have an Extron RGB switcher and would like to accomplish the same thing with it if it can be done.

So let's ask the experts. Experts, what happens when we connect Y, Pb, Pr to the R, G, B connections on a VGA switcher? Will that work?

Bob Wood

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am in the process of investigating these VGA switchers as well. The Kramer units (like the ones in the Markertek link) come in two flavors: manual switching and automatic switching. The MAJOR downside to the automatic units is that they switch on the sync signal. Therefore, a component output from a DVD player would not appear to trigger the switch. The only workaround is that the auto switchers default to input 1. So if you've got a DVD (with a VGA to component breakout cable) and DSS box with a VGA out (and a sync signal), you would hook the DSS up to #2 so that the switcher swithces when you turn it on. You would then have to shut it off (or go to standard 480i output) to get the switcher to go back to #1 (DVD).

Check out the full line of Kramer VGA switches:
http://www.kramerelectronics.com/gro...dex2swvga.html

They also have a wholelotta' switches for almost anything.

In my looking around, the Kramer stuff seems to be the best price/performance.

- Dieter

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Dieter,

So do you think if we don't need the switching to be automatic and instead just want manual switching between two inputs (one RGB and the other 480p component) that the manual Kramer switch will do this for us simply by connecting a breakout from the DVD player to one of the HD15 connectors on the Kramer? And in my case I have an Extron switcher with four HD15 RGB inputs and one HD15 RGB output. If true for the Kramer should this also work with other RGB switchers like mine?

All I want to do is avoid plugging and unplugging cables to the LT150's one input connector. If I can use my switcher to switch between both RGB and Y,Pr,Pb signals it would make life much easier.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't mind doing it mannually, the picture shows that it is just done by pressing a button. At this price, I think its fine. But the big qiestion to me remains, will it pass HDTV and 480P signals with no problems?

Anybody?

Thanks for your help.

Marcos

·
Registered
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shahram72:
I would bet that this item is worth the money. If only it had more inputs. I am using a cheap $15 4way SVGA switchbox and a $20 25' VGA cable with excellent results. I got them off ebay. My breakout cables for the DVD player to the switchbox were less than $10 and are high quality custom made cables. I just know how to shop around. I need 4 inputs for my Progessive scan DVD player, Sega Dreamcast, Microsoft Xbox, and one more for later maybe an HDTV tuner or a computer.
Where do you get a breakout cable for $10?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Not to confuse things, but I am also thinking of another option. Convert the signal form the RCA-DTC100 to component with this: http://www.yourdigitalhome.com/rcavhvgatoco.html and do the switching as component video. I could do the switch with a receiver, although my receiver does not have this function (but I was thinking of upgrading anyway, but it might not happen very soon) or one other way which I remember to have read threads that mention to have it done succesfully (I can't remember where). With a regular A/V switching device in which you input the Composite video and a stereo signal, but instead input all three component video signals. My concern with this would be the bandwith, and this is not generally stated in the specifications of these components. Could it work? has anybody tried it? This would be a really cheap solution.

Again, I appreciate any comments.

Marcos

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Extron VGA switcher (just like most RGBHV switchers)does no signal processing and will very easily allow you to pass RGB as well as component video. I would expect the Kramer to be the same, but do not have any experience with it. Make sure that the break-out/adapter cables you use have the correct pin assignment. My main concern is whether your projector or display can accept both component video and RGB on the same input without having to go into the menu structure of your projector and changing the input's video format.

Do not set the switchers in AutoSwitch Mode. It does look at the sync to detect the active input.

Be cautious when converting your RCA DTC1000 to component video. A cheap (price) converter is usually nothing more than a cheap (quality/performance) converter. There are several great deals out there, but you usually get what you pay for.

------------------

-Serlin

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Serlin:
My main concern is whether your projector or display can accept both component video and RGB on the same input without having to go into the menu structure of your projector and changing the input's video format.
It can.

--Les

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertWood:
Dieter,

So do you think if we don't need the switching to be automatic and instead just want manual switching between two inputs (one RGB and the other 480p component) that the manual Kramer switch will do this for us simply by connecting a breakout from the DVD player to one of the HD15 connectors on the Kramer?

This is exactly my situation - two component sources (DVD & HD STB) switched through my Ref 30 processor and a VGA source (my yet to be built HTPC). My concern was one of bandwidth and the switch on sync for the automatic switchers. The manual one has a lower bandwidth than the automatic one. They make the VP-41 (4 port switch), which is entirely passive, and has more bandwidth than I'd ever need (750MHz). I'm just not sure what the 320MHz equates to as far as resolution limit. The VP-41 is roughly $100 more than the VP-201. I may end up going with the 4 port version and run all 3 sources directly to the switch.

- Dieter

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about this product but it sounds like it will do exactly what you want. A guy at work mentioned it to me and said it was $160.
http://www.aver.com/products/tvbox03.html

Supports up to 4 Inputs:

- TV Input: Coaxial (RF)

- Video 1 Input: Composite Video with Separate Audio Input

- Video 2 Input: Composite/S/Component Video With Separate Audio Input

- VGA Input: 15 pin RGB

Supports up to 3 Outputs:

- VGA Output:15 pin RGB

- Video Output: Composite Output (TV Display Only)

- Audio Output: Stereo Sound

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Mojodeli (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Reply to pter:

I got the cable at a local electronics parts supply shop in Orlando. It's only 6'. They can be had on ebay for not much more. I got all my cables and switchbox from ebay. Spent about $50 on all the pieces. I'm not going to spend $1000 on cables for a $2000 projector. And my cables don't introduce any ghosting that I can see. Videophiles, spend to your hearts content, but I have other hobbies as well. For the casual viewer, I highly recommend my route of cheap cables and switchers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.