AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shooting my LT150 on an 4:3 80x60 high power through a radeon powered HTPC using either the ATI or WinDVD player.

When viewing video sources (Sarah McLachlan Mirrorball, Corrs at Royal Albert Hall, Eagles Hell Freezes Over), I get scaling artifacts out the whazoo. It basically isn't anywhere near as crisp as film based material.

With the recent PowerStrip 16:9 timings posted here (thanks!) I can get pillar boxed 4:3 images which helps sharpen them with the reduced size. I imagine I'll want to do the same once I get NTSC sources pumping through this thing as well.

Does anyone watch video based 4:3 material at full resolution (1024x768) and get good results? If so, what's the secret?

------------------

Tom L.

NEC LT150 FAQ

My stuff, pictures, HTPC, and screen tests

·
Registered
653 Posts
Are you sure you are seeing scaling artifacts or deinterlacing artifacts? The software dvd players do no perform well with video-based dvds. You can either try to force weave or enable the adaptive deinterlacing capabilities of the Radeon. Or you can use dScaler with a set top dvd player.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I believe you are seeing de-interlacing artifacts, not scaling artifacts. By reducing the size of the image, the artifacts will not be as noticeable but they still occur. Most software DVD players don't even TRY to de-interlace video very well. They use Bob and/or Weave. When they use Bob, they try to overcome the reduced vertical resolution by using a filter on the data that makes the image look softer. I'm thinking this is what you are seeing.

IMO, to get a better picture, you need a better de-interlacer. If you have an external, interlaced, DVD player, you COULD try the DScaler application for video based material. Be warned, the image quality from DScaler can range from AMAZING!!!!!! to complete crap based on the capture card and HTPC it is installed in. No one card has been found to work well in all circumstances.

Good luck in your quest.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My solution is to use my Skyworth 1050p progressive scan player with video source. I've not seen anything look even close, and dScaler definetly can't compare.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
711 Posts
Frode: Can the Skyworth accept signals from other components? E.g., Could I run my ReplayTV/Tivo unit into the Skyworth and it would upconvert them in the same way that DScaler would? Or did I completely miss your point? Thanks.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I can confirm running 4:3 material like John Fogerty: Premontion, Eagles:HFO, Nightstalker all run artifact free with my RP91.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Don,

I was specifically referring to video source DVDs. Guess I should have emphasized that, but didn't since it was obvious that's what Tom was asking about in the original post. But Mark Fontana has actually been working on an input board for the Skyworth that converts it to doubler (not scaler) in its own right http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003292-2.html

------------------

/frode

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.