AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of narrowing down my choice of projector for my new room and the new low prices on the LT150 make it very tempting, however, the bulb price may be a deal breaker.

From the looking I've done, the bulbs seem to run somwhere around 475 bucks and are only rated at 1000 hours. Is it really that expensive? I just can't justify almost 50 cents an hour to run the projector. I expect my projector will be run 3-4 hours a day because it will be used for some prime time TV as well as movies. Am I (hopefully) just looking in the wrong places?

The LP350 with it's $350 bulb and 2000 hours may be more my speed even if I have to get a FLD filter for it and use a grey screen.

So, is there anywhere where you can get a LT150 bulb for less than the 475 or so that I've found?

Brian

·
Registered
280 Posts
Brian:

I'm in exactly your situation. My budget is tight and my estimated daily projection time the same as yours. I have checked MANY websites for prices on the LT150 bulb and have never seen one lower than the mid-$400's. It works out something like this: $3K on my credit card for the projector = $60 monthly increase in credit card bill. Add $60 a month for bulb cost (4 hrs. x 50 cents x 30 days). Bulbs, in effect, will cost as much as the projector, over the life of the machine. So far bulb cost is the ONLY constraint holding me back from the 150.

I had the bulb-economical LP 350 for a three-week demo, before the light spill was fixed, and found it razor-sharp and very filmlike, but too hot in the whites. I didn't know about DIY gray screens then, which might have helped.

All day today I have been trying to figure how to cut down on lunch expenses in order to find $60 a month for bulb consumption. Hey, maybe the 150 will make me skinny. Now that's a new way to rationalize buying a projector. I'll call my diet BULB-LITE.

Mike

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Mike.

I will most likely end up demoing them both and see if I like the picture on the LT150 enough to justify the bulb. The 11HT could be in the running as well, depending on what it prices for in the US and the bulb life/cost.

I'll probably end up on the PROJECTOR-LITE diet whichever one I choose http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Brian

·
Registered
168 Posts
Has anyone seen a better price than $459 from dmionline? How about substitutes?

In another post, someone mentioned that Davis created a 6,000-hr replacement lamp for the DL450!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Topbulb's price for the LT150 of $425 is a mistake ( www.topbulb.com/find/lcd/lcd_nec.asp ). It's actually for the Epson LCD projector as the NEC part number was not listed. It's actually $590 when you click on LT85 link which uses exactly the same bulb as the LT150. May be if you call they may honor the price. Just make sure it's the right bulb before ordering :)

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I just sent TopBulb this email. I'll let you know what they say.

Bob

Hi,

I clicked on your link for a replacement lamp for my NEC LT150 projector. It says the price is $425. But the top of that page says it is for a Litepro model.

I would buy an LT150 lamp for that price.

Can you please verify that is what it is for?

Thanks,

Bob Wood

Wood Amusement Co.

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Got a response within 15 minutes...

Thank you for contacting Topbulb. The information on the web is incorrect. The lamp # for the NEC LT150 is 5001117 @ $590.00 each.

[email protected]

Sales and Customer Service

Topbulb.com

800-867-2852 ext 8723

877-329-2852 fax

When place a web order use priority code 156

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
197 Posts
Has anyone confirmed that the $389 Lightware LX-8 bulb will work? Its specs are identical to the plus and LT150. Perhaps Thumper could tell us if the Plus bulbs work?

If nobody knows, what we need to do is all chip in and have someone buy a LX8 bulb for $389 to see if it works in the LT150. After all, its a Plus based unit also and I know some folks have said the LT150 bulbs look identical to the Plus bulbs.

Anyways, if we chip in via paypal for someone to try it and it works, then maybe we get half of our donation back....and we see if Alan can do a group buy. If it doesn't work, well, someone here with a Plus will buy it cheap.

-Dave

LT150 w/210 hrs and counting...with football season scheduled to soak up a LOT more :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Do you all think the 1000hr rating is set in stone? Didn't some other projectors start low and have their ratings increased as user experiences showed the bulb would last longer?

It's possible that a bunch of people will get to 1000 hours in the next few months, and find their bulbs are running fine. Then they'll reset their bulb timers, and keep running them for another 500 hours or something. Eventually, the rated bulb life will be increased with no changes to the projector or bulb, other than to lengthen the bulb timer for new units.

Is this possible? Have there been a lot of lifespan increases on projectors as the user community discovers the true average lifespan?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Robert - "several". Don't you mean several hundred or maybe several thousand? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Good to see you're enjoying the LT150 for now - I suspect that in a week or two the organish reds, greenish yellows, grey blacks, rainbows, dithering etc. will catch up to you and you'll dump this little thing in the garbage where it belongs. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
243 Posts
I recently recieved a 10% discount e-mail from dell, for accessory's, from when I originally ordered the lt150 under the small business area. Current price of a replacement bulb is $489 - 49 = $440 . They are however showing it currently out of stock. Getting the lx-8 bulb @ $390 would be fantastic. Any volunteers?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Slightly OT, but how can I tell how many hours I've used? Is there a menu option? I know how to reset the hourly counter. I just couldn't find the display option. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.