Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all!

My first post here, so be gentle:)

I´ve read almost all posts and litterature about NEC LT150 and found it maybe to be â€the oneâ€. I´ve had no luck finding it for a decent price, because I live in Sweden.

Buying from US and sending to Sweden adds another 25% (!!!) to the price and then warranty issue…

A friend of mine has found a clone of LT150 and that´s the Sharp Notevision M10X (PG-M10X) and this machine has the right price: 2500 dollars from Germany.

I know that this clone might not produce 100% like picture as the LT150, due to the lack of Vortex. (I hope it´s close enough)

My question:

Could someone write down and compare the picture of a LT150 and a Sony VW-10-HT???

I was impressed with the Sony and the pricing for a used one is around 3500 dollars here.

I liked the picture size and the filmlike picture although I saw the famous black/gray issue.

My viewing romm can be completely darkened and the plan is to run movies through a HTPC or the upcoming Skyworth (HTPC killer?) I´ll have about 130†from the lens to the screen.

Let me know…

Erik

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well if you have read a lot of post you would know what to expect.....LT150 = rainbow(maby) better blacks and no screendoor.....Sony 10 = Screendoor, dead pixels(maby) better color, and sharper image. soo now all you can do is look at the specs of these to units on www.projectorcentral.com and make your choice

Nicolas

·
Registered
88 Posts
ErikF

Forget about the Vortex if you're going to use a HTPC! It's only for expanding/shrinking of Computer-Signals that not match the pannelres!

Maybe it has some effect on S-Video or Component Input!

------------------

- juras -

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
And I always thought vortex was their name for their good color reproduction due to decent gamma tables that you won't find on the clones.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Man I really feel sorry for those of you who have to pay the dreaded "value added tax". It really takes a bite out of big purchases. Well, not for me to judge, I hope to visit your beautiful country one day. Do you pay income tax as well?

I would try to view the sharp first if you can. I am assuming that the 3500 for the sony is VAT included. Will you have to pay VAT on the Sharp from Germany? It's still cheaper.

[This message has been edited by shahram72 (edited 09-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by shahram72 (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NicVentura: The funny thing is that I wasn`t â€wowed†over the colors from the VW10…but the iscan with VW10 really knocked me. The demo wasn`t 100% I have to say the guy couldn`t darken the room so much, but the contrast became way better when he did darken it some. The gameplan is to buy a Da-Lite high power and I think the colors will be good enough. A special salute to Tom LaStrange and his FAQ with screen tests btw…

Juras/Frode: Hmm…beats me!

Shahram72: It gets worse!!! First off they stick you with 25% added tax on the price and the the coustoms charge about 4% off the transport cost (why for heavens sake?) Then the postal office charge around 10-15 dollars for administrations (ehh?)

The income tax is around 30% and when you do get a buck over and buy a share or two, they take another big bite when you want to collect a good investment….argh:-(

Germany and Sweden are both members of EU, so no added taxes etc. And yes, the price 2500 dollars is VAT included. It also comes with a 3 year warranty:)

The only downside is that I haven`t found lt150 or the clones in Sweden..well I know what people to blame:)

You´re welcome över here and btw FL is on my wishlist for places to go.

Dave E in TX: Great, the blacks/contrast and the film like image are higly important for me.

I know that the unit isn`t as flexible as the VW10, but that doesn`t bother me.

HDTV…we live in stoneage when it comes to that, maybe in 10 years or so:-(

Erik

·
Registered
27 Posts
Other than which projector you think is best and how much you want to spend you might want to consider screen size and aspect ratio. The 10HT is 16:9 and the 150 is 4:3. For example if you want an 8' wide screen for movies, this can be accomplished with a screen for the Sony that will measure approx. 4 1/2 feet tall by 8 feet wide. To get the same size viewable image out of a 4:3 projector you would need a screen that is approx. 6 feet tall by 8 feet wide. Both of these set-ups would allow you to watch programs of various aspects and keep all the image on the screen because the screen would be set-up in each projectors native resolution.

According to specs, (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this paragraph) another point is that the 10 HT is rated at 750 lumens with cinema black on and I think the LT150 is 800. But since the 10HT is native 16:9 it should actually produce a brighter 178:1 or 2:35:1 image than the LT150 because all or more of the Sony's panel is used to produce the image you are watching rather than black bars. The LT150 should produce a brighter 4:3 picture than the Sony because of the same reason. Not to mention that the Sony bulb is rated to last longer but with the price difference in the projectors you could by a lot of bulbs for the LT150 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
EricF

IMHO the sony is a damn good projector. Black level is really its only flaw. I don't understand why people complain about screen door with this projector. At 14' from an 8' wide screen it is impossible to see IMHO. The LT150 must be a good projector because everybody on this forum worships it (I have never seen it). Have you ever seen a DLP projector? I you are super sensistive to the rainbow effect you better look at a newer DLP or other technology. If the deep blacks are a deal killer then the sony isn't for you. By the way, if you havn't figured it out yet, there is no such thing as a perfect digital projector.

William

PS I have read a lot of people slam the Sony 10HT on this forum, and being an unbiased owner of one for 1.5 years,I still can't figure out why.?

·
Registered
88 Posts
regarding the 10HT

I've seen this unit once (maybe not tweaked) and I was very disappointed! The 10HT was next to a DLP (guess it was sharp or a plus (u2) unit connected to HTPC).

The blacklevel on the 10HT was a light grey compared to the DLP. washed out colors with a green shift and poor contrast!

pros

it was quitter

more flexible (connectors)

------------------

- juras -

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've seen them both extensively (although not side by side). I originally wanted the Sony 10HT and was ready to buy that when I stumbled into here and started doing more research.

I spent a lot of time demoing the Sony at a local store. I found it was pretty good, but the blacks were only fair at best, and I could definitely see the screen door clearly from about 15' away.

Since I was upgrading from an older video only CRT I decided I wanted better blacks and contrast, so I went with the LT150 based on the reviews here.

IMO, the LT150 is better than the Sony as long as rainbows don't bother you. It seemed to have very good blacks, contrast, and a more film like image. It does require more setup and is less flexible though. But if the LT150 works for your room when you factor in the $2K price difference, its a no brainer. The end result is a picture that as good or better than the Sony, aside from the rainbow effect (which I find lessens over time). The resolution advantage for the Sony didn't seem to be any benefit on DVDs, althought I think it might be on HDTV sources.

Other LCDs, such as the Sanyo PLV60 and XP21N have significantly better contrast and black ratio, but are $4500 and up.

-Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question:

Let´s say you mount both projectors from the same distance, 130,7 inches and put

them both in 16:9 mode (true 16:9 with the VW10, i know).

How big would the image be width, height, diagonal?

My room measures only 116 inches when it comes to the screen wall and then I have to squezze in my Mirage OM-10 at the sides…

Does anyone know where I can get a 100% answer, when it comes to the Vortex issue and the clones. Maybe someone knows a mail addy to a NEC technical employe, that knows LT150?

TC: Been thinking about that see above first question.

William Napstone: I live in the outskirts, when it comes to projectors so I have never seen a dlp projector. From what I understand rainbows are seen when you flicker with your eyes over the screen, right? The perfect projector would be the free expensive one:)

Juras: I found the contrast verry sensitive to the light in the room. The black/grey issue, well not bad but I guess you can get better. The Sanyo PLV-30 was way better with the blacks, but I felt that it killed a lot of image also. Colors was one of the things I was hoping would be better on the VW10. I really hate I can`t compare these both projectors for myself:-(

Erik

[This message has been edited by ErikF (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
ErikF

Look through past posts to get information on the rainbow effect with the LT150. Your description is correct. Some people see it during normal viewing and others don't. I personally am not super sensitive to it, but the people that are super sensitive to it find it so annoying that it makes movie watching very difficult. My only point is that you should audtion a DLP (without new color wheel) before buying one to find out if your one of those people. (If this observation is wrong, then someone correct me on this.)

Apparantly I am color blind, because I happen to find the color reproduction of the 10HT to be pretty good.

I will be auditioning the new sharp 16:9 in two weeks. Maybe that will change my mind about the 10HT. (I hope not, my wife won't let me upgrade.)

William

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don't think you can lose with either projector. I have seen the Sony set up poorly and set up properly. Set up properly it looks very good and if properly calibrated through its service menu I think it would be pretty tough to beat for the money - the exceptions being maybe the new Sanyo products and the LT150, especially at its firesale price.

Remember that to get the optium image from either you need a good scaler, Proscan DVD player or HTPC. I still like the HTPC best. Both of these projectors will work with the Da-lite Hipower screen. There are pics of images taken with this screen with both of these projectors, posted on this forum, and the images are excellent. If you properly mask your screen and control light in your room you will be happy with either. The Sony will be quieter, have longer blub life and is easier to setup. The LT150 is easy to "hide" since it is so small and light, has great contrast and good "blacks" for a digital projector, but you have to deal with DLP halo (that's where the masking comes in), more noise (especially if ceiling mounted) and maybe rainbow (though some seem to develop an immunity to this over time). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

What's best for you depends on your expectations - you really need to see for yourself. If you buy one or the other and aren't satisfied can you easily sell it or return it without much pain?

In today's world having to choose between these two projectors is a "nice" problem to have.

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.