AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Duocom here in Canada and talked to a sales about a demo, I told her that I am interested in the LT150. But she said that it is discontinued and replaced by the LT154. I know the 154 is LCD, and that there is a new 150z with zoom. Is it BS or she is just trying to sell me a more expensive unit? Anyway, I am going for a demo tomorrow. I have seen the best Canadian price mentioned in this forum is $3700 CAD, but from where? Doesn't seem like I can get it for $3700 from Duocom.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I am attending an NEC product Showcase being held in New York City tomorrow and the LT 150 will be on display there. I have also confirmed that it will continue in this years product line-up along with the LT150Z zoom lens version. The LT150 is extremely popular and NEC sells through them very quickly. Certain dealers may advise you as to what is available at the time of your inquiry in the hopes that you will order what is "in stock" instead of what is "on the boat".

·
Registered
179 Posts
Let the conflicting info ensue...

Just spoke with a tech at NEC USA today and according to him they no longer have any new lt150s in Illinois (didn't sound like there would be more), only the bits left over from open box returns and the like...

However, the new 150zs (plural - not z s) are alleged to be on their way from japan as I type :). And yes they do read the AVS forum at NEC USA!

I also asked him about upgrading the color wheel in the 150s and he was intrigued, so hopefully there will be a fresh thread on that one in the near future...

let's just hope they fix my fan quickly...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Silo,

Projectorman pointed out another company in Ottawa that have a web site with a much better price for the LT

they say shipping in 24-48 hours so who knows what the stocking situation is...

if the above link does not work here is the home page for the web site just look in the catalogue under ultraportables...

www.mcsinet.com

good luck

Miles

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys

I checked out the mcsinet web site, if the prices are in Canadian$$. Then it's great, if they are in US, then just average. I went to Duocom today for a demo, the sales showed me the Infocus 340, NEC LT155 and a Proxima unit(I hated it). I was quoted $4300CAD or about $2870US for the Infocus, and $4850CAD or$3240 for the NEC. Again the sales said no more LT150s. Although the sales was very professional, the demo was more of a corporate setting oriented, a laptop DVD was used. I liked the Infocus, I could not stand the screen door. I feel that by now $4000CAD for the 150 would be a solid buy, if it is still available! It seems that our fellow US videophiles always get the better deals.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know if it helps but I just ordered an LT150 from Gateway.com fro $2500 US delivered. You might check and see if they can ship north. Mine should be here tomorrow. I got free second day shipping because I had problems logging on to their web site to buy so I called and without even asking the guy upgraded the shipping.

Greg

·
Registered
707 Posts
I just spent the afternoon at an NEC press showing in NYC today. The LT150 is a current model which was on display alongside the LT150Z with the zoom lens. To those that have been inquiring the zoom lens can not be retrofitted to the LT150 as the entire inside of the projector is completlely different on the "Z" version

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would really like to know whether NEC will continue to manufacture the LT150 alongside the new LT150Z, or whether the LT150Z will be a replacement. Anyone have a definitive answer on this? Fewer retailers seem to list it now (Dell, Canadian retailers etc.) which suggests that perhaps it is to be replaced.

I guess I am somewhat reluctant to buy the LT150 if it is to be end-of-lifed. On the otherhand maybe it is a good time to buy it since the price has fallen so far.

What are peoples thoughts on zoom vs. no zoom? I understand that a zoom lens would allow for some flexibility as to projector placement for a given screen size. Is this the only advantage of zoom, or are there other advantages such as changing from 16x9 to 4X3 viewing on a 16x9 screen, for example?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I would not worry over the end of product line on LT150.

You get a 3 year warranty, so if it breaks, NEC has to fix it. What will be available in 3 years, who knows. The lamp in the LT150Z has been reported to be the same one in the LT150, so the only expendable part will be around for a long time.

The only concern is whether you are sensitive to DLP rainbows. See one before you buy one.

BTW it looks like KBK might be adding a new service line. In addition to custom screen paint for the LT150, he may be doing tweak modifications (voids the warranty though).

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Grant JUST picked up his modifed LT150. If popular enough, I might be able to afford some spare units. In that case, I could offer some kind of warranty on the work that might be more acceptable to people. Basically, if I did 20 mods or so, and charged a bit more for all of them, I could stock a few spare machines, which could be 'warranty' pieces,and therefore offer some protection. It's worth a shot. Now,.... what do the other guys charge for modifications? No one seems to be willing to put it in print. PM or e-mail me if it makes you feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My story ended with a Demo LT150 with 47 hours on the bulb and full warranty, all for $3500 CAD. I am not in my new house yet, but I got my breakout cable and will be trying it soon, it wasn't that bad with S-video cable on a white wall in my apartment. Very exciting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.