AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got a good sized outdoor deck off the second floor and I'd love to be able to do that at our place. Too bad I've 'only' got a ceiling mounted CRT projector. Now if I just had about 3 grand (Canadian) lying around for a little LT150. BTW Robert, what did you do about your outdoor sound system? Did you set it up 5.1? Sorry if you already described it. -Mike

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Mark and Mike,

The party giver had some old drive-in theater car window speakers and his original idea was to use those speakers in the cars and reinforce it with a portable sound system.

After inviting over a hundred guests though he got cold feet about letting all those people be getting in and out of his vintage restored cars with food and drink. So the cars were parked for looks and the guests were seated in chairs.

My laptop has only stereo audio capability. On the night we set it all up for testing I had a set of large powered PC speakers. We were planning to add a sound system on the night of the party. But we discovered that the PC speakers surprisingly were loud and clear all over the yard. So that's all we really needed (and I'm sure the neighbors approved).

These guests had never even seen an 8' home theater picture much less a 20' wide picture on the side of a house.

Most could not fathom how a little 6" by 9" package sitting on the dashboard could be doing this. Frankly, neither could I. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The portability of an LT150/laptop/PC speakers combination is just amazing. I carried it all stuffed into one laptop bag.

p.s. to Mark, if those NEC freebie leather cases ever show up I'll forward yours on up to you.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
That has got to be about the coolest idea ever.

Don't be surprised if your idea is copied in back yards and parking lots around the country! Especially at the price point to create your own drive-in.

Was the audio put out to each car via AM/FM radio, or were there little boxes on poles next to each vehicle?

Thanks for posting the pictures!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Did you post other pictures? Looked around but couldnt find another post.

------------------

Gonna name my HT "Tooth and Nails" for the battle my wife is putting up against it.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Alan,

After looking at the photo I'll have to be honest that it may not have been quite as bright as the photo shows. But it was close to what you're seeing.

Didn't use an anamorphic lens for this little shindig.

And I was shooting through a thick windshield too. I was

concerned that might either reduce the brightness or otherwise alter the image but it didn't seem to.

I made mention in another thread that last weekend I had a chance to compare the light level from my 800 ANSI LT150 to that of a 2000 ANSI Eiki LCD. The supposed 2000 ANSI was a little brighter but not by much to my eyes. I'm now convinced that the LT150 puts out plenty of light for any normal sized screen.

CV63,

So far I've only received two pics from the photographers. The one linked above and the one in the previous thread.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
It looks really good. At first I thought you used photoshop and did a cut and paste.

I'm very impressed. Looks like a lot of fun as well!

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.