AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am a fellow LT150 owner (like many of us here are) - and am, at times, quite frustrated with the fixed throw distance problem that the LT150 exhibits. On searching through the internet I found a company that provides custom lenses - I received the following email in response to an inquiry I made about a custom lens for the LT150:

-----

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your inquiry. ELCAN Optical Technologies is primarily a custom lens manufacturer. As such, we do not have an "off-the-shelf" lens that would meet your requirement. However, given the number of interested parties, the custom solution may be an option. If you would like to pursue this alternative, I would be happy to send a sales manager to speak to you.

Please let me know.

-----

What do you all think? Would we have enough interest in something like this to perhaps pursue it, or am I just barking up an empty tree? Obviously I wouldn't have a sales manager come to visit me - but I would initiate the conversation with the appropriate people if, in fact, there is enough interest... I don't know how many people we would need for it to be considered a worthwhile endeaver.

Just food for thought...

Mike

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I think this is a great idea. I am sure there would be many interested in this here on this forum that would gladly pay for a zoom lens for this projector. A one off lens could likely cost alot, but they could easily sell 20 on this forum, possibly cutting the cost measurably. I do not currently own and LT150, but I plan to in the future, so I might be interested as well. If I were you, I would invite the sales rep to this forum first so he/she may guage interest level and come up with a group price for us. This way the sales rep doesn't even have to leave the office. Please do this and keep us posted!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yo Mike, great idea!!!! Since they've indicated: "There are so many interested parties",

maybe we could initiate a power buy!

If they could produce a zoom lens for this puppy, without any degredation in resoution or brightness, I'll bet legions of us could make it worth their while to produce this enhancement!

Count me in, and thanks for the research.

Cheers, VB (aka pi)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd be interested in a zoom or long throw lens. Ballpark pricing for this customization would be very helpful -- $300 would be great, $1500 would not.

[This message has been edited by Lurker #25 (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Interested at the right price. It would be cool if we could make this puppy a looooonnnng throw. Then you could mount in on a back wall and not the middle of the room.

Good idea Mike!

------------------

Adam

·
Registered
25 Posts
Depending on the price, I'd be interested.

Why not ask them about an anamorphic lens for it as well? Or combined zoom/anamorphic?

I've been reading this forum since before the panamorph announcement. At the time I couldn't justify even the $600. When the Dell deal came along I jumped in months ahead of schedule. Now I can't see spending $1500 for a lens for my $1700 projector, especially when the next projector I buy will likely be native 16:9.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since I only spent $1684 on the LT150 I won't be able to justify spending more than $300 especially since I don't plan on having this projector for more than 2-3 years.

Zoom lens is nice but not a must have.

I don't know if we officially have a count of everyone that has the LT150s... we might be talking about a fairly large order here. You would also think that anyone that was in the market for a 150z would be able to get the 150 plus this zoom lens for less $$.

Here's hoping for around $300...

--jeff

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've been in contact with a company called Century Precision Optics (in California). They make several long and short throw add-on lenses for a few DLP projectors (UP-1100s and such). These lenses are available in two grade levels (they sorta call them video grade and data grade). They are somewhat reasonably priced - about $500 for video/$1100 for data (BTW, a significantly marked up retail price). They do not make a model for the LT-150 at the moment but given enough prodding....maybe from Alan Gouger who knows??

It also may be possible to custom fit a UP-1100 long throw adaptor lens on the LT-150.

Sounds like a fine project for AVS or one of our fellow HT'ers.

Thumper

·
Registered
375 Posts
Fredrico,

They make anamorphic lenses but only for cameras and the like. I'll have to look up the zoom ratio changes in the chart they sent me. The lenses are quite compact, so I think they could be used in conjuction with a panny-take-forever-and-a-day-morph.

I do believe one of their DLP short/long throw lens adaptores could be custom fitted to the LT150 if someone whats to give it a try (I've got a full plate at the moment).

Thumper

·
Registered
63 Posts
sounds like there is enough interest to get the ball rolling on this. so, now who wants to do the work or take the ball and run with it?????

jim

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have spoke with my contact - they will be having a representative email me tomorrow - I will fill you all in on the details and inform him/her about this forum -

Mike

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ok, you guys have twisted my arm (again).

I got in touch with Century Precision Optics about the lenses. They said they are going to look at a LT150 to see if they can make one to work.

Turns out the lenses are pretty standard and they make a "custom" sleeve (acts as a mount sort of like the way a Cygnus depix lens mounts).

The thru loss in light is about 5%. The two grades (video & data) have different amounts of pincushioning with the video more and data less.

It would help to know what the market demand for the lens is and I hope that AVS could take the ball and get the retail sales.

Thumper

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thumper:

Fantastic.. thank you! Obviouly I would be interested.... I'll see what the company I have been in contact has to say about this - Any idea on a ballpark price?? (or would it be the 500/1100 (video/data) that you mentioned before?)

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.