AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent posts concerning calibrated LT150 must mean that there is post manufacturing access to the gamma look up tables. Now, I realize that 1) the modified table data would probably be proprietary, and 2) even if it weren't, it would be specific to each individual unit, anyway. So, this question is not about the gamma data that anyone may have measured. Rather it's about accessing the gamma tables.

How would one read and write the gamma tables? Are there RS-232 codes for it?

(I have seen mention of complete RS-232 codes in past posts, but I found the link to the resource to be broken.)

Regards,

David Grove

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi David,

Yes, there are RS-232 codes for reading/writing the LT150 gamma curves. You need a special cable to hook a computer to the projector.

No, the codes are not even in the "complete" RS-232 codes list, although the codes are there for switching between the gamma tables.

Are you a programmer?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Mark,

Time to write some code! How about a Dilard Lite for LT150? Let us visually changing the gamma curves and other goodies not in the "complete" RS-232 code lists! I bet the software will sell like hot cake for $100 each... :)

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Li On,

Well, that's why I bought an LT150, actually.

However, I'm not all that sure that the LT150 needs any software surgery. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see how bad the red burn-off is, but right now, it's just really great as is. 838:1 contrast, flat D65 gray-scale, good blacks, plenty of rainbows :D.

Seriously, right now, it looks really good. Both from my eyes and from the instruments. I don't think it will be one of those projectors you can "transform" into something very different (like a D-ILA).

What do you think? Do you think it would be a worthwhile project? Do you think there would be any significant improvement? I have some good solid reusable code, so that's not the issue,,,and I did buy the projector for that purpose. I just don't like to build things that no one will use (I've done it plenty of times).

Mark

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you milori.

I was mostly just curious and wanting to get info for "playing around".

Well, I have done a fair amount of C programming in the past, although I'm now vocationally involved in database administration.

DG

P.S. I can make cables. Do you know how to get the control information?

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Mark,

I agree with your comments completely.

The magic of DLP is that the chip does exactly what you tell it to do.

If you tell it to do 50% output, it will do 50% output. It doesn't have the nonlinear "s" response curves that the LCD based products have that need calibration.

The LT150 is a taste of what can be done with Plus' simple yet very effective light engine.

I would really love it if NEC would develop a 16X9 720p chip projector based on this design with a faster color wheel and I guess a quieter fan, which would be easy if they made the chasis a little bigger.

But those feature could be almost cost free if they would say take the PC card reader out (I do like it a lot). Think big guys. A 16:9 unit for $4K street. It is very possible.

I'm really waiting for such a model from NEC/PLUS.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree with Mark. I have seen a ton of projectors in the last eight months and the LT150 still amazes me. The only change I am seriously thinking of would be to have it "Thumperized". I am going to try it on some of KBK's sreen material, hopefully Thursday evening. Can't wait to see his setup - customized CRT, HTPC, speakers and so on. I think he must be on the leading, and I do mean, leading edge of HT!

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.