Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff,

I'm with you. I am using the LT150 on the Grayhawk and think that it is a great combination. I know that some other folks are using screens with higher gains (some of them even over 2.0!), but I think that the overall LT150 picture looks better on a lower gain screen.

I tried it on both my 96"x54" 1.3 gain white screen, and my 96"x54" .95 gain Grayhawk, and the Grayhawk looks much better, IMHO. I couldn't imagine going higher than 1.3, as I would think that the black levels would suffer quite a bit.

Mark

·
Registered
195 Posts
There was almost no ambient light in the room during my test. I didn't realize GrayHawks were available in different gains. Is this a result of when they were manufactured, or does Stewart offer them in different gains?

I do know that the GrayHawk I saw yesterday was manufactured extremely early - the owner beta tested the screen for Stewart. FWIW, he uses a G11.

jeff

[This message has been edited by greenhut (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that the Grayhawk is a greater than unity gain, gray screen.

In other words, the screen DOES have a gain, but applied to the gray screen. The gray part alone would be about a 0.63 gain, and the coating is like a 1.5 gain on that, for a final gain of about 0.95.

I guess that you could say that it's a 1.5 gain screen.

I apologize if my memory is totally wrong on the numbers, but that is the general idea.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If I remember right, the micro-perf reduces the gain of the Greyhawk to .85. Don Stewart mentioned the exact number in the screens forum a month or two ago.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yes that's my understanding too.

The regular Grayhawk screen is .95 and the perforated version loses anouther 10% light.

I have the micro-perforated Grayhawk screen and my new LT-150 looks very good using that screen.

-Dean.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Jeff,

I could actually see the pixel gap when it was tightly focused. I had set the LT-150 up about 12' away from the screen with a computer feed, but without my ISCO lens.

It looked great, and the pixel gap wasn't visible past about 8' away (on a 10' wide image), which is quite good in my mind. My G15 has roughly the same narrow pixel gap, and the ISCO lens reduces it even more.

-Dean.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I tested an LT150 with a 110" Microperf Grayhawk last night and have a few observations.

I had been watching an 8" Electrohome 8500 CRT on a painted white wall for the last 6 months. Watching the LT150 on the same white wall produced what you'd expect. Better brightness, great colors, weaker blacks and smoothness.

Last night, I tested the LT150 on a friends GrayHawk. WOW. Huge improvement. Much better contrast and blacks, and the colors were more vibrant. Brightness was still higher than that of the 8500. Wish I could see the HighPower many are talking about, but after seeing what the GrayHawk did, I am sold.

The other interesting thing was that the pixel structure disappeared almost entirely. Not that it was a problem at normal viewing distances with the white wall, but with the Microperf GrayHawk, it disappeared - even from 6-12" away from the screen. I'm guessing this had more to do with the Microperf than the lower gain, but couldn't say for sure.

Anyway, a few people have posted that they don't like the GrayhHawk + LT150. I hope my experience keeps everyone open minded until more opinions arrive.

jeff

[This message has been edited by greenhut (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Jeff,

Was there any ambient light in the room where you checked the LT150 with the Grayhawk ?. Did the improved contrast made rainbows more apparent ?.

Do you know the exact gain of the Grayhawk screen you've seen ?.

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jeff, sorry for my ignorance, but your screen is 110" diagonal or width?

which are the exactly dimensions please?

Thanks,

------------------
Hugo Andrade

·
Registered
733 Posts
I look forward to seeing the LT150 on the Grayhawk - I will keep an open mind! For those who haven't seen the LT150 with the Hipower please do the same. I have tested this projector with several screens of different gains and the best I have seen with my particular setup is the Hipower.

If anyone has a Grayhawk in the Toronto, Ottawa, Kingston area please email and I would be happy to bring both my LT150 and Hipower for a screen shootout. I will look into purchasing a "widepower" so I have a mobile solution.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
We did some testing of the LT150 on our grayhawk and I agree that it looked much better than the other screens we have (I haven't actually seen the Dalite High Power, though). I think the key is that people do not go too large with this combo (as far as screen size). The LT150 is only an 800 lumen unit, so getting too large a screen is going to hinder its performance, especially with a lower gain such as the grayhawk. FYI we had a 49"x87" Grayhawk (Screenwall Deluxe) that we did the testing on.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Well, after seeing your post I just fired them both up and setup both pictures with the same movie (A Bug's Life) side-by-side on the Grayhawk screen, using the G15 without the ISCO lens.

Even without the lens, and with 900 hours on the G15s bulb it was visibly brighter, as I would have guessed.

The G15 has a bit better blacks (it is calibrated), but the LT-150 does a very good job on the factory settings with no tweaking done. The contrast is roughly comparable.

There was no visible pixel gap from my main seating 15' away on either FPTV.

The DLP has a real snappy looking picture, and if I didn't have the extra money it would be hard to justify the 5X price difference. But the D-ILA is visibly better.

I took digital pics of the two on the one screen, but they came out really crappy, so you folks will have to go by my words.

-Dean.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bought a 6'x8' Da-Lite Hipower from Jason at AVS to use with my LT 150. I suggest Jason take some time to use it with the 150. I don't know how the color could be any better and that includes the blacks. Just watched Blue Planet an Imax film on both Da-Lite screen and my 61" Toshiba HDTV the contrast, colors, sharpness and blacks were superb on both. The bigger screen made it more IMAX like. I use a Toshiba 5109 for the dvd player. I feel the 150, 5109, and Hipower screen are a great combination.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
No doubt.

I'd like to see the LT-150 coupled with the HiPower screen.

The great part is that the LT-150 is so ultra-portable, I can concievably bring the projector along with me to try out different screens.

-Dean.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Badgerfan,

If you haven't tried the enhanced "black" setting on the 5109 then do so. I don't care what they say about enhanced black settings being the same as non-enhanced settings once you recalibrate - this setting IMO gives the LT150 a better grey scale and adds "snap" to the image.

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.