AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was about to buy RPTV for about $1800 when discovered this GREAT forum .... Am now considering the LT85 (could barely afford + need cables, mounting, screen) - but would be willing to save/wait a bit for LT150 if it's worth it..

I've read EVERY SINGLE post here but would really appreciate any insight from those who've owned both or seen both side by side ...

I'll be using in a finished basement - hope to sit about 12 feet or so from a 80 or 100 inch screen. Watch DVD's mostly (about 70%) with kids movies on VHS (20%) and very little television (broadcast only - no cable) ...

Thanks for your help and opinions !!!

cd

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
At 12 feet you'd better wait for LT150 except waiting too long may mean difficulty to find as it's discontinued. LT85 and LT150 has the same light engine, case, fan, color wheel, electronics,and lens. The only difference is SVGA panel vs. XGA panel. Obviously the SVGA will have larger, more visible pixels at the same distance as LT150. If you can sit at 14 feet or more or reduce your image a bit LT85 should be fine for DVD. Keep in mind that once HDTV becomes rampant, SVGA will scale down image more than XGA so you'll lose some resolution with SVGA. For $1700 LT85 is a great buy, but LT150 was only $2160 with 20% off at Dell's $2700. You can find LT150 commonly at $2350 shipped. After taxes and shipping, the Dell's deal was $2290. So we're talking $600 difference in price between the 2. It's up to you but I'd save up, sell the kids :), or get another job and get the LT150 to prepare for HDTV.

------------------

Huey ;-]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.