AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What viewing distances (in relation to screen size) are people finding optimal? Is the LT150's image best viewed a farther back than normal (whatever that is) or can you get a little closer without any problems?

Philip Wise ( www.wiseacres.com ) determined the best commercial movie theater viewing angle (30 degree horizontal angle) and was able to come up with a formula that can be used to replicate that angle in a home theater. Using his formula, the following are some optimal viewing distances:

- 58" wide screen - approx. 107" viewing distance

- 67" wide screen - approx. 125" viewing distance

- 72" wide screen - approx. 134" viewing distance

- 80" wide screen - approx. 149" viewing distance

- 96" wide screen - approx. 179" viewing distance

-120 " wide screen - approx. 224" viewing distance

How do these compare to your set up?

[This message has been edited by GaryWW (edited 08-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
GaryWW,

You can compile some stats from this link referencing DILA
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006173.html

I assume you are talking 4:3 since at 16:9 the posted numbers yield 32.5 Deg.

Shine your PJ on the wall and find what you like - or go to the theater and do a few calculations to see what field of view you prefer. What the LT150 will support vs your level of sensitivity to artifact is the only real criteria for you. Be willing to get comfortable at one size for several days/viewings and then change it and go again.

Sure beats doing a LOT of work then realizing you need it Bigger/smaller.

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Just bumping # of posts --

Some people like to refer to seating distance as a function of screen width. I know I find it a more convenient method. Very generally between 1 to 2 1/2 Widths distance seems to cover almost all that I have seen posted. The majority appear to fall in the 1.5 to 2 range.

Again this is truly dependant on setup - scaler, source, PJ, screen and even movie!

------------------

plug in to play

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jamin,

Thanks for the link - I should have done a search before posting.

I changed the table in my post - diagonal to width. It was 4:3 before but should be good for any aspect ratio (assuming a fixed width image). Philip's formula is based on the screen width:

viewing distance = (screen width*.5)/.2679 (tangent of 15 degrees).

Some quick calculations shows most viewing distance values are about 1.86 times the screen width - within the 1.5-2 range.

I am hoping that some LT150 owners can confirm that rule of thumb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.