AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today, someone sent me a private message asking if the aspect ratio control "stuck" when using an LT150 in RGB mode.

I must have erased the message http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif but I performed the test. If you use the serial control cable attached to the LT150, you can turn on Cinema mode and it "sticks" through power cycles and input changes. That is, the Cinema mode will be applied any time RGB is chosen until turned off.

I hope whoever sent the message reads this.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
653 Posts
Huckster, when you have some time, could you (or your wife http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ) describe the parts and the procedure you used to put together that control cable? It doesn't appear to be possible to purchase a pre-manufactured cable. I am hoping that the serial control will give me better ARC when using my DTC-100.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife is out of town so I'll give it a shot. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I wanted to make this extendable using easily pulled wires in our walls so ...

We used a short length of Cat 5e cable with an 8-pin din (CP-2080-ND) on one end and a RJ-45 plug on the other. The RJ-45 end then plugs into a "db9s to RJ45 jack fem/8 contacts" (046-0001-ND). My wife soldered the 8-pin din connector to one end and I crimped the RJ to the other. The serial->RJ jack has pins on the end of short wires that you insert into the proper holes (2,3,5) in the back of the 9-pin, d-shell, connector. I used a meter to test continuity from one end to the other.

We got the connectors from Digi-key (the numbers in parenthesis above are Digi-Key part numbers) and the category 5e cable from Home Depot. My Dad gave us the RJ crimper.

When we place this through the walls, we should be able to pull one Cat 5e cable from the projector to the closet and terminate it with RJ-45 wall plates at both ends. From the wall to the computer will be a standard RJ-45 terminated cable (with the serial plug attached) and from the projector to the wall will be our new cable.

Is this enough?

------------------

Huck

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Whoa, wait a minute, guys.

Am I missing something here?

Are you saying that you can make the aspect ratio control active (Cinema, etc) in the LT150 in the RGB mode (and it sticks)?

I thought it was internally disabled in that mode and only worked in the component mode.

Please confirm, as it would be big news if I understand it correctly.

Thanks.

w

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. That is what I'm saying.

To set the mode, use the serial control, not the remote nor menus.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Huckster,

It was I who sent you the private message. Thanks for checking this out and giving me the good news! I have the Lt150 Plug-in installed in Girder, so the next step is the cable. Judging by your post, this doesn't look as easy as running down to Radio Shack and picking it up. But now that I know that RGB will work in Cinema mode I will make the effort.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim - I'm sorry I erased your message. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif If you have a soldering iron and a will to use it, the cable is pretty easy to make. My hands shake terribly so my wife (she's an engineer) does all the soldering in our house.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Soldering I can do. In fact, I've changed my VGA cable from RGB to component by unsoldering pins 13 and 14 inside one end. When I get the control setup to work, I will re-solder my cable to make it functional in RGB mode again. I was hoping I could buy a simple adaptor to go from my serial cable to the round connector on the LT150 and save the trouble, but I guess this is unlikely.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pre-built ones I saw were for something having to do with an Apple computer. When I went to one site (don't remember which one) they had a wiring diagram. It didn't match the LT150.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
336 Posts
You might try these guys if you want to save some soldering, at least on one end. This one has a 50' lead but they also have 20' and 6' leads as well.

I found them doing a Google search, I've never ordered from them before so do so at your own risk. They look pretty legit though.

·
Registered
817 Posts
What's the advantage to use Cinema mode for RGB input? In the case of HTPC with software DVD program (say WinDVD), it can play widescreen movie on 4:3 screen.

------------------

CKL

·
Registered
216 Posts
The advantage is that RGB looks better than component. Until I can affort a Rock / Faroujda etc., I am using an Iscan Pro. The only option for anamorphic discs is to use component since Cinema mode isn't available in RGB. Not something you have to worry about.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One question about this.

If you are using an HTPC and using a VGA cable to connect the the LT150, are you saying that using WinDVD and unlocking the aspect ratio in the software to show the stretched image on the screen, then using "Cinema Mode" on the LT150 to squish the image back to normal aspect ratio is better than just letting the WinDVD do it in normal mode?

Or, is this just for other uses like using anamorphic material through an Iscan etc..

Thanks..

·
Registered
846 Posts
I concur that the cinema mode works with RGB when set through the serial port and it does stick through power cycles.

Interestingly enough, it didn't stick through my first power cycle. But when I tried it the second time, it did stick. I did not try to track why so I only include this information in case one of you find it doesn't stick for you.

I haven't had any luck getting the projector to properly display 16:9 resolutions. In auto mode, it always scales to the whole panel. If I choose native mode, then it always scales to 640:480. So I'm very interested in hearing from anyone who has gotten a 16:9 panel to display correctly using powerstrip.

--Les

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow:
Interestingly enough, it didn't stick through my first power cycle. But when I tried it the second time, it did stick. I did not try to track why so I only include this information in case one of you find it doesn't stick for you.
Here's an update:

If you set your monitor setting to plug n play, it will reset from cinema mode back to normal.

If you change resolution, it will go back into cinema mode.

--Les

[This message has been edited by arrow (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are using a HTPC, let the graphics card do the scaling not the projector.

------------------

Huck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.