AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase an iScan Plus v2 for $375 shipped and am curious if it's a good deal. I plan on using it to power my Toshiba 3109, VCR (not SVHS), and digital cable box -- all S-Video switched by my Sony DB930 receiver -- through my NEC LT150 projector.

So far, I'm happy as a clam with the SVideo DVD input on my LT150. My digital cable is very grainy though. Will the LT150/iScan be a good combo?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Don,

The LT150 MUST be feeded with it's native 1024x768 resolution (or native HD source). A scaler with the output resolution or a HTPC is needed. Any iScan linedoubler will be no good. Don't bother.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... darn. I hadn't thought of that. Can anyone else confirm this? Sorry Li, I just want to make sure before I release my reservation. Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Considering that a great many people on this board are happy with a Progressive Scan DVD player hooked directly to the LT-150

And all the Progressive Scan is doing is line-doubling plus 3:2 pulldown...

And with this external box you can line-double and do 3:2 pulldown on your DVD, your cable-box and your VHS...

I think that you should give it a shot.

I have been using a NEC IDC3000a (an older line-double without 3:2 pulldown) with my LT-150 running my Sony DVD and Philips TiVo through it with impressive results IMHO.

So, if you don't want to mess with an HTPC or have the money for a true scaler at the moment, like me, I believe that you will see a great improvement in your picture.

LiOn, don't get me wrong, if it wasn't for the Wife Acceptance Factor I would be using a HTPC and if it wasn't for the fact that buying the LT-150 broke the bank in the first place I could buy a true scaler - I would be all over your suggestions.

drewman

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 09-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
While I wouldn't put it quite as strongly as Li On, I tend to agree. I tried the iScan Pro with the LT150 for DVD use. While better than using the projector's internal de-interlacer, there were still numerous scaling and edge artifacts. I much prefer the performance when driving the projector from an HTPC at 1024x768.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My suggestion is to get the iScan for your VHS and cable sources. It will greatly improve the picture. Also, since you are using the S-video input on your DVD player, use the iScan with that too. That way, you have a real 3:2 pulldown for movies instead of the horrible deinterlacer built into the LT150. I personally use a progressive scan DVD player with mine and have an iScan on the way for occasional use of other sources, mostly laserdisc. While I do agree (from personal experience) that driving with an HTPC is best, It's just too expensive for me right now. I am tapped from the purchase of the projector. Many here will have you believe otherwise, that the LT150 looks horrible. Well, don't drive yourself crazy looking for artifacts. If it looks good to you, enjoy!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don,

Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner. Delivery of my iScan Plus got delayed a bit.

Like I said before, I was pretty happy with my S-Video connection, especially with properly mastered DVDs. On the other hand, poorly mastered titles, particularly letterboxed releases, did exhibit scaling artifacts through s-video.

I did not want to mess around with an HTPC nor did I have the money for an outboard scaler. Since I already had a decent interlaced player, an iScan upgrade seemed like a viable option to try.

HOW MUCH OF AN IMPROVEMENT DID I SEE? With good anamorphic titles, the change is subtle but discernable. I watched Vertical Limit the other night and was quite stunned by how good the image looked through the LT150/iScan combo...it was almost film-like. The S-video feed was fine too but now seemed to lack the punch and clarity of the progressive image. Improvement varies from title to title though. It seems the change is most noticeable in letterboxed titles.

IS IT A PERFECT SOLUTION? Of course not. I still see a few jaggies every now and then (although at a lesser degree). Problematic titles still show noticeable crawlies (maybe source related). Regardless, it was still an improvement though over the S-video image.

WAS IT WORTH IT? For the $370 I paid (including shipping), I believe it was. And for about the same amount, I think you should check it out. It's more convenient than an HTPC and much cheaper than a scaler. And in your case, the iScan would be better than a progressive scan player since you also utilize other sources (not just DVD).

Don, I'm no video connoisseur so others might disagree with me. All I can say is that I'm quite happy with my humble set-up and I now enjoy watching movies immensely.

Your observations might turn out to be different from mine but you won't know until you try if out for yourself, won't you? Besides, if you're not happy with it, you could easily sell it for not much less.

Cheers - Sonny B.

P.S. You might want to install a good masking border around your screen (mine is 6" of felt all around the 1.85:1 screen). It hides the LT150's light border and greatly improves the contrast. Another convenient feature of the iScan Plus V.2 is the unsqueeze mode for quickly switching to 4:3 mode even though the LT150 is set to cinema aspect ratio.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have an LT150 and an older Iscan Plus v1. I use it for everything except DVD (as I have a JVC 723 progressive player). Keep in mind the iscan can put out component 480p, not just 640x480 VGA. You should use component.

Anyone who thinks it not a noticeable improvement should offer up a wager and then come over for a little A/B comparison. Its definitely smoother and more detailed.

It was well worth the $200 I paid for it. I makes DSS, locals, and Playstation 2 easier to watch. On DVDs, though, the progressive scan JVC is just a bit better than the iscan.

-Dave

·
Registered
807 Posts
Has anyone used a DVDO and lt150 combo to view laser discs? If so, what was the outcome? I am not very satisfied with Svideo from my 704 to the Lt150 and I am looking for other options short of HTPC. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've got a V1 on the way mostly for laserdiscs and will post with the results.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I think I'm going to hold off. An HTPC seems the way to go and I can build one for close to $1,000. I guess I'll go that route. Thanks everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.