AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to projectors and want to confirm something before deciding if I will buy this one.

In the LT150 manual on page E-50 under Troubleshooting, it states that if the Status Light is "On continually" the statis is "The projector lamp has exceeded 1000 hours of operation and should be replaced. The projector will turn off and go into standby mode after 1100 hours of service."

Does that mean the projector is keeping track of the usage hours and forces you to replace the lamp after 1100 hours even if the lamp is still good? What counts as usage? If connected to a computer and the computer is in power saving mode, does that count as usage?

It looks like the max hours on the lamp is cap at 1100 hours, but is there a garentee minimum? Are you out of luck if your lamp dies at after 200-300 hours of use?

Does all brand/model of projectors have the same kind of replacements rules/guidelines for their lamps also.

I don't think it was a mistake that Dell sold it for $1700 after all. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif NEC was just following the razor/blade business model, but instead of blades.. they're want to sell you lamps. But at around $500 each.. ouch!

Before coming across this section in the manual, I thought projectors lamps were like light bulbs.. and the 1000 hours was just an estimate. I was hoping to get lucky or run the lamp in a cool environment and maybe it'll run a whole year.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The problem with projector bulbs, is that they tend to explode when they finally burn out, possible damaging the projector. I have heard stories on this forum of bits of glass from the bulb scratching the optics in the projector. So that's why projectors have you change bulbs at regular intervals, It would take me 2 years to watch 1000 hours worht of movies.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The most I can watch is 2 movies per week, and honestly, it's often less than that.

So, *at most*, 4 hours per week times 52 weeks a year = 200 hours per year.

That's 5 years of use on the first bulb. I think the lt150 will make a nice doorstop by 2006 - that is, I'll be able to buy an amazing projector for very little money by then.

Now, for people who watch tv on their projector and leave it on all day, it's a different story.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for your input. I guess my post was too long.

My main question is: Is the lamp garanteed to last 1000 hours? If it fails at way 300 hours.. will I be out of luck.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is the problem with most all the lamps for these digital projectors. Hopefully companies are fairly acurate in the lamp life estimates and will last what they say they will. Until companies start to guarentee the life of the lamp its hard to put much stock into one thats advertised to last 2000+ hours over one that will last 1000. I think most people whoms lamp dies in less than 90 days can get a free replacement but otherwise you are pretty much stuck. It's too bad that the LT 150's lamp will shut down like that. I have the Sony HT and am hoping that the bulb will get me close to 2000 hours (275 now in 6 months). I'm planning on watching alot of football. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I wonder if the bulb also suffers from the "strike" count, like in the following thread - http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006291.html

Also, notice that they also have a suggested 1000 hour limit, yet report 2000 hours (mainly with 16 hr/ day usage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also believe, if you want to risk it, that you can reset the bulb hour counter in the menu of the LT150...

------------------

Look before you leap - He who hesitates is lost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.