AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a LT150 which I am stoked with. My set up is a non-progressive scan DVD player utilising the LT150 onboard scaler with an s-video feed. I also have a PAL sat feed also through s-video. My viewing distance is 4m, with a ceiling mount for the projector.

The next step is a screen, which I have no Q's regards due to some excellent posts covering screens. Also a progressive scan DVD player, hopefully capable of DVD audio playback (Are HTPC cards capable of DVD audio?)

The main query I have is the optimum screen size considering my 4m viewing distance. I am aware of the 2:1 rule, is this a diagonal consideration or a screen width? At the moment I find that if I go above a 1.5m wide screen( which is well inside the 2:1 rule) then I suffer from eye fatigue and end up with a headache mainly due to any fast panning shots. Could this fatigue be reduced with a scaler, and if so what is the recommended best bang for your buck?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I find that 1.4 - 1.5 screen widths away is about right (for me) with a XGA DLP (LT100). You might want to visit forum members in your area for a look at there size, etc. You can also get a rough idea by estimating (pacing off) dimensions at a local theater. Try different distances and see what you like.

I started at 1.57 screen widths away and bought a new screen that is 1.4 and am much happier. YMMV.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, How far away are you sitting from your 1.5m wide screen? Were you also suffering eye fatigue with larger screen sizes?

Cheers.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sorry for the possible confusion. The dimensions I mentioned earlier were with respect to the screen width. In other words 1.5 screen widths is equal to a viewing distance of 1.5 times the screen width.

In my case I am setting 12' (144") from the screen. I first purchased a 92"x68" screen (distance of 1.57 screen widths). I decided that I wanted a wider screen for 16x9 material so I purchased a 104"x68" (custom Da-lite High Power) screen which I use at 104"x58" for 16x9 material (1.4 screen widths) and 80" x 58" for most 4x3 SDTV signals. For high quality 4x3 (e.g. IMAX movies on DVD) I can watch at ~92" x 68".

Overall I am much happier with the second screen. I do not see any pixels or get fatigued at this distance, etc. BUT it is a personal preference.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
"Slartibartfast".... lol

Damn, I already miss Douglas Adams...

Robert

Quote:
Originally posted by slartibartfast:
Thanks for the reply, How far away are you sitting from your 1.5m wide screen? Were you also suffering eye fatigue with larger screen sizes?

Cheers.

------------------

Robert Clark

See our home theater (with very poor quality pics!)
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...874&a=12744078

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you haven't mounted the projector yet, you can experiment to your hearts content. Just project the picture on a white sheet or a white wall. Do that for a couple of weeks until you get a feel for what size you like. Then order the right size screen. When the screen finally arrives, the picture will look *so* much better than the wall, you'll be happy with it, no matter what size you get! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

If you have already mounted your projector, you have set your screen size. Without a zoom on the 150, at 4m, the image will be 2.438m.

--Burke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.