AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I finally got the whole bunch set up in one room. All projectors were fed with Component 1080i and progressive 460p DVD. All comments are based on notes and comments by 3 people. Two were knowledgeable HDTV experts and one was a neighbor who had never seen HDTV. Were careful not to point out the technical things like black level and screen door to see if we got any comments.

Two screens uses.

daylite Standard Matt (1 gain)

daylite Grey (.8 gain)

Screens approx 92 X 55

First of all, only the DILA and the Sony L10 will produce native 1080i in the appropriate pixel count. Only the Sonly has a 16:9 native picture. All projectors were observed with a 16:9 picture on the screen.

I am going to be as short as I can. First, there is not doubt that the DILA outperforms everything else on either screen and looks really good on the grey screen. It is bright clear and screen door on viable within 6 to 8 feet.

It is heavy and loud and produces a lot of heat. Colors/brightness/contrast very good although contrast better on grey screen. DVD exceptional.

my cost was $7k

Sony L10 is bright,great colors and because of the large 16:9 LCD panels has very little screen door affect. you have to get at least as close as 4 feet to notice it. really a very nice box( the one we have has one pixel off and no funny blobs. Some noise and a fair amount of heat. Black level on grey screen about the same as DILA on matt screen. My cost was $5K.

The NEC LT154 has bright colors. The black level seems to be about the same as the Sony unit. Heat is moderate and noise is about the same as the Sony.

However, Screen door(seeing actual pixels of LCD panel) is much worse than Sony and is noticeable at 10 feet. My cost was a little over $2k from Dell

The NEC LT150 has good colors and color adjustment. the black level is very good and the screen door effect is noticeable at about the same place and size as the Sony L10. The projector is quiet and very small and weighs only a little over 3 pounds. It is DLP technology. My cost was about $2k from Dell.

Comments:

DILA was rated best picture. Neighbor thought it too bright on matt screen and made comment about Black/Grey level.

Sony came in a close second to the DILA and neighbor seemed to like it on the gray screen.

The LT154 was fine but blacklevel/grays about like the Sony. Neighbor liked it on grey screen and commented for first time about the pixels showing up on the screen."the dots!"

The LT150 looked really good and was very close in color and brightness to the LT154 on the MATT screen. "Very small dots", "very Quiet" Every one seemed to like it.

We projected the DILA and the Sony side by side and the detail of the actual picture on 1080i very close. On the DVD, the DILA seemed to have a little more detail.

We projected the Sony and both the LT units at the same time and the detail was noticeably less on the LT units (However they are not really HDTV as defined by pixel standards. They were both very good however with, in my opinion the 150 being slightly better.

We then went into my office and looked at the 42" Fujitsa plasma screen and they all liked it the best however it was a lot smaller and the most expensive. (I think it cost us about 10k dealer cost several months ago.)

Bottom line, You want to spend 6 to 8k$ and can put up with weight and noise, the best picture was the DILA. If you want a 5k machine, then the Sony or similar units with the new 16:9 LCD panels would be your choice. If you want a projector the size of a cigar box with very acceptable picture, my suggestion would be the LT150.

There are probably other projectors that are similar but we can't afford them all. We rent projectors and by far the most popular is the LT150 because it is light and small. It is the only projector out of the 4 that we have actually had to replace the bulb because of hours used although the DILA is getting close. One other comment on the Bulbs. They are all expensive running between 300 and 700$. however, we have noticed as the hours increase on the bulbs, all but the DILA bulb seen to be getting darker and color balance is shifting. The DILA projector is still bright white with about 800 hours on the bulb at this time.

By the way, we charge fixed rental fees based on the original cost of the projector with an charge for hours used extra based on the cost of the bulb and expected life of the bulb.

All above totally subjective!!

Bill Taylor

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Bill,

Was that a calibrated D-ILA, or one just out of

the box? Which model D-ILA was it?

The setup from JVC for the "G" model D-ILAs

maximizes the light output in lumens; which is

appropriate for business presentations - which is

what these projectors are designed for.

In order to get a true sense of what a JVC D-ILA

is capable of in a home theater setting - it should

be calibrated to optimize the gamma curve for

producing good gray scale and contrast.

The JVC D-ILA will look even better after

calibration.

Greg

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The JVC is a G11 and it was calibrated about 8 months ago when it had about 100 hours on it.

We have been playing around a lot and have fallen in love with the 150. The black blacks reallys how up in it. We have not seen any rainbow to amount to anything much. the banding on the plasma is much more bothersome. It would be nice to have the zoom model however.

BT

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the review. I have a calibrated G15 and LT150, and they have comparable black level on my Stewart Grayhawk screen. As far as the noise goes, a $500 Whisperflow hushbox makes the fan noise about the same level as the newer normally quieter Sharp Z9000, and Sony 11HT, and quieter than my LT150.

Both the G15 and LT150's picture quality is visibly improved with a HTPC scaled DVD input, with some DVDs approaching HD quality.

Although I think that the plasma displays are improving dramatically over earlier models, I have not seen one that compares to the picture quality of the G15 (and often costing the same price).

Of course I'm very pleased with my G15, with the bulb cost being my only issue. At the sub $2K price that I got my LT150 for it is fantastic. I've seen the rainbows, but they only have shown up in a couple movies for me.

-Dean.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I've always heard that you haven't seen what a DILA is capable of until you have had it calibrated to improve black level and proper gamma.

I'm wondering how the LT150 will look after being "Thumperized" for lower black level and "Cliffized" for 6500 color temp and 2.2 - 2.4 gamma?

I'm going to have both done when available. Anybody have any experience with DLP after calibration?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Quote:
I'm wondering how the LT150 will look after being ... "Cliffized" for 6500 color temp and 2.2 - 2.4 gamma?
I just got my LT150 back from Cliff. He set the gamma tables (to be 2.2 and 2.4), white balance, contrast, brightness, etc. I'm still evaluating the changes. I hope to have time to finish the measurements and post my review tonight or tomorrow. However, I will say that so far it looks very good. More later...

Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.