Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm all set to purchase the following:

--NEC LT150

--Dalite Model B 43*57 screen w/1.5 gain

--DVDO IScan (Pro or v2)

And now I need to figure out what else I need to buy as well:

1) What cable do I need to connect the IScan to the LT150? I'd need about 20 foot of cable for this.

2) I've heard that this projector is noisy... do I need a hushbox, where do I get one, how much does it cost, and how large is it exactly? I have no idea what this thing even looks like. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

3) Is there any advantage of the IScan Pro over the v2 other than the component input? Other than on ebay, anywhere I can get one of these cheap?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
The pro has the better chip in it but the V2 and Pro are close in quality..THe pro gives you much more control over the image..the V2 gives you zero controls..however You can configure the V2 such that you will retain the internal controls of the Lt150

REgards,

john

·
Registered
267 Posts
Regarding the noise, I've got mine sitting in front of me on a coffee table and it is a little annoying during quiet passages. I'm going to eventually mount it under the coffee table which should reduce the sound a little.

Regarding size, go here to see a picture of my new LT150.

------------------

Tom L.
my-wannabe-home-theater

·
Registered
842 Posts
I built a hush box so i could mount the projector on the ceiling infront of me.

Using a Iscan Pro gives you the 103/503 chip. It does improve on the perfomance of the iScan.

If you wish to have aspect ratio control of the display you need to feed it component info. To do this you would need to get a 20 foot VGA cable and snap of a few pins at the iScan side. It would be advisable to get the diagram of the pin layout. Then you could remove the proper pins.

If you don't need aspect ratio control then you can just connect the iScan via standard VGA and set it to RGB.

You really should get an external scaler with HD pass. You only get one Hi-Band input. If you want to add HD you will need a switcher too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darian:

Where can I get this VGA cable? Can you give me some details of what your hushbox looks like and how it works exactly? I don't even know what a hushbox is supposed to look like. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Thanks for you help.

Does anyone make a VGA cable with the proper pin layout such that I won't have to snap off any pins?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hush boxes have to keep the sound away from you. Then there is the termodynamics of the box wich relates to how much air the unit heats and how quickly you can remove it. All this then you have to figure out how to get you cables in and out.

Whisperflow makes a hush box for the LT150 but I didn't like the idea of clear plastic.

So I learned a whole lot more than I wanted to about Plastics. I constructed my hush box out of infarred passable black plexi. I then insulated it with Sound dampening material. All this had to be based on how much air I could move with the fan I wanted to use. Finally I needed to get some optically clear glass to shoot the image through.

It all depends on where you intend to put the projector and what you want the hush box to look like. Then you have to add up all the variables and build something.

While I work for a custom install company, this was my first venture into making a hush box. I have delt with sonic dapening for years but dealing with it in a small area with so much heat build up... I went through about 30 designs before I found a base I wanted to work with. Then i had to work out the thermos of it.

As for the cable. Its not real hard to remove pins. Just make sure its the right ones.

if you need help...

[email protected]

Basically the hush box depends on a whole bunch of variables... what are yours?

[This message has been edited by Darian (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darian:

I went over to whisperflow.com and I now have a much better idea what a hushbox is all about. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif What made you decide on the black plexi? I'm still a bit confused how this thing actually works... obviously by enclosing the projector you are now dealing with a heat build-up issue, so how exactly are you drawing the heat out?

As for my specific conditions, this is for a bedroom upstairs in my house, but one that is air-conditioned comfortably so excessive heat is not a problem. I will be ceiling-mounting the projector.

I'm going to get the projector and see if I can deal with the noise... for me it might not be an issue as right now I have a rather noisy air-conditioner in the room and I can live with that. Thanks for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.