AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I could spend hours working through threads, but maybe some kind soul who has been here a lot longer than me can help me out with a fast way to get up-to-speed:

Is there a general LT150 faq? What does the "LT" of LT150 stand for?

What does a panamorph or ISCO do? (I mean I just spent an hour reading a thread on panamorph/unacceptable distortion it causes, and I still don't really get it -- what is the panamorph (apparently a lens) supposed to correct?)

What screen gives the best images? Where do I get them? How big is too big? (NEC manual says I can go to 200", which would mean I need to build an add-on to my house, and scrap the in-the-basement concept)

Any special settings work best with an LT150/HTPC? (and what other cool acronyms should I learn? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Why are some people talking about breaking pins off of their VGA plugs?

What are the known issues with 16:9 v 4:3 and what does 1.666:1 mean, and why should I be concerned about it?

..and once I get all this straight, how do I best maintain the nirvana and learn to no longer be happy with anything less? <g>

Seriously, your help in getting the 'just diving in' guy in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-KB

------------------

Look before you leap - He who hesitates is lost.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'll answer those questions not covered in the index:

- LT is Nec's portable business projector line. What the "LT" letters stands for is anyone's guess.

- Panamorph and ISCO II are anamorphic lenses that allow you to utilize the full resolution of the projector for anamorphic titles. The Panamorph squeezes the image in the vertical, while the ISCO II stretches in the horizontal. That way you can get a 16:9 image with a 4:3 projector.

- the LT150 takes component inputs through the same plug as that used by VGA. If pins 13 and 14 are connected the projector gets confused and thinks it's RGB when you're inputting component. Breaking off those pins allows the projector to properly recognize a component signal. Note that this should not be done for VGA/RGB.

- if you want to use anamorphic stretch on your projector then that can only be done for other sources than RGB. So if you have an iscan line doubler that can output both RGB and component you have to set the iscan to component in order to take full advantage of the anamorphic resolution. This does not apply to HTPCs as you then do the stretching in the HTPC - not the projector.

- 1.66 is 15:9. Apparently the Panamorph gives less distortion with that ratio for some projectors. Tuning the HTPC to output that ratio leads to an acceptable image using the panamorph for those problem PJs, though you won't be able to take full advantage of it.

- once you've got your projector tuned to a picture you're happy with stop reading AVS totally and don't look for flaws with your picture http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . Truly a lot of us here are pretty anal about picture quality and so any flaw will rile us up until we find a way to deal with it - or find a better projector. If you then start looking for the same flaw (and find it) it'll annoy you no end until you either find some way of fixing it, or change to a different projector.

------------------

/frode

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.