AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sold on just about every aspect on this PJ, except for that one particularly annoying factor; no zoom! Without zoom capability whatsoever, is one limited to adjusting screen size on this PJ by varying its distance to the screen? My current setup has a fixed PJ location which does not allow me to vary it's distance to the screen. Is there a way to determine whether the LT150 can work in my setup? Thanks in advance!

Gerald

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
For table mount mode, buy or build custom screen after shooting image on wall and measuring image size. Some have built sliding drawers to move LT150 back and forth as a "zoom". LT150 also has native mode which shrink image down also. I would not be concern about zoom if you can build or buy custom screen. Ceiling mount allows you to vary positions more than table top as location. You merely move PJ to fit screen :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm one of those that built a drawer style box that is mounted to my back wall above my head. (I have vaulted ceilings so I couldn't ceiling mount it from the actual ceiling). This setup gave me 14" of 'zoom' capability. This gave me approximately 12" of range in the diagonal which is 2" more than what the actual zoom can do on the LT155. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

One point of advice though. If you are locked into a position where you can mount your projector then mount it and build the screen around that. A start would be to go to the projection calculator and put in the distance to the screen to see if it will work for you.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've found a fixed position for the 150 using a CI scaler, with a 60x80 screen at 11 ft.

I use a DIY masking system, which eliminates the need for any movement of the pj.

All I have to adjust is, the mask around the screen to accomodate the size of the image being projected.

The masking also helps in eliminating the light spill around the screen, which to my eyes adds more depth to the picture, and doesn't require the need of moving the 150 back and forth.

Every time I've moved the pj, it seems to need more adustments than I care to do, in order to get the picture back to where I like it.

HTH, VB

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wanted to say, thanks for all the replies! Found more info on this subject, combined with the replies here it should give me a good idea whether this PJ will work for me. Thanks again!

Gerald

·
Registered
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aviman33
I wonder what it would cost to purchase the LT150z's zoom lens as a replacement part from NEC? I'm sure the LT150 plus zoom would still be thousands less than the LT150Z.

Jon
aviman33, you ask a great question!

Is the new zoom lens availabe to adapt to our 150, and if it is, how many $$$ for the modification??

Anyone know if this is even possible??

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually,

I've been doing a GREAT deal of research and the LT150z is STILL going to be a great deal ($3,695 MSRP, street will be significantly less) and will work just as well if not better than the LT150 as an HT projector, due to the added zoom, 1000 lumens (200 additional) and it STILL has a contrast ratio of 800:1.

I've included a few links below:

A thread I started a few weeks ago...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=23715

The NEC official announcement...
http://www.nectech.com/cybernews/pr_...ion%20Products

A TechTV review...
http://www.techtv.com/freshgear/revi...351351,00.html

-timmy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.