Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

Been a lurker for months, and thanks to you guys (esp. a certain forum addict by the name of Grant S) I am the proud owner of the LT150. The projector is on its way, so I am excited to have things rolling. I have a few lingering questions.

1)I have decided to get the dalite hi power screen. Should I get the tensioned screen, or will I be better off saving the money and getting the manual pull down model B. I will not be raising/lowering the screen at all, so will I be still at risk for the dreaded curling/waves if I get the pull down?

2)I have to have the projector ceiling mounted, so I am planning on getting the pre-made peerless system- seems to be the easiest method (I do appreciate all the ceiling mount posts prior). HOW on earth are you guys getting the cable from the projector to your dvd/htpc player? I have a Pscan tosh 6200 and my current set up is equipment rack in front below screen, projector to be on ceiling 14 feet away. So how will the cable get from the projector to the dvd player? Does nec have a 25 foot 15pin to component connector? Will I be sacrificing video quality by using this long a run of video cable? If the nec cable is not long enough, how will I be able to connect 2 male rca ends? Will I have to move the rack to the rear? but then I will have to get 20 foot speaker wires and this is not very appealing either (unfortunately I have some moderately pricey analysis plus silver oval cables that are only 8')

HELP! What are you guys doing? Any suggestions, insight?

thanks

Tony

·
Registered
153 Posts
My guess is that the video is being fed to the projector by high-quality RGB cables, such as from BetterCables . You can get custom lengths and connectors.

I believe there is a thread about a 40-foot BetterCables RGB cable performing better than a pre-fab 6-foot cable...

[This message has been edited by gabe nell (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
733 Posts
Tony,

With the pull down screen you will probably have some waves or wrinkles. The simple solution would be to detach the screen and tack it to your wall - sounds dumb but actually works. This results in a very flat inexpensive screen! Take everything off including the narrow metal tensioning strips. Roll the screen back up from bottom to top and then with help have the screen held in place and tack the top section flat and let the screen hang. Now do the sides and bottom. Use black curtains (or dark material) to soak up any DLP light spill and this will also help with preceived contrast.

With respect to the longer cable I would start with the NEC cable for a progressive scan player (or similar cable) and buy a good fifteen or twenty foot computer cable to use as an extension to your projector - try it. You may have to remove some of the pins, but I doubt it. Read Dorian's posts and you might want to contact him.

If you ceiling mount this projector the fan automatically kicks into a higher level and is noisier. Mounting it in a coffee table is another option for some.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

·
Registered
839 Posts
IT'S DARIAN, GRENT! :rolleyeyes:

Don't worry about removing pins.

Everyone... YOU WOULD ONLY NEED TO REMOVE PINS IF YOU USE A DVDO NRE BOARD WITH VGA OUT TO A VGA IN.

If you have any other DVD player that has 3 component out you ONLY NEED A BREAKOUT CABLE!

I ordered the Peerless Projector mount for this unit. It is a PJRL-NC4. I now find that I don't need it. I originally designed a hush around the mount. Then after a rework I made a different design. The new design doesn't need the hush. I also made a table mount hush. I have a few hunks of worked MDF lying around now. Not to mention more diagrams then I care to admit. Thank GOD I am an installer and have learned from all this. Otherwise it could be a big waste of time! Too bad we don't carry the 3 lb projectors I spent so much time working with for the hush!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all-

I now feel alot better about the cable situation. I got scared when I read about pin removal... Has anyone actually used a 20-25 foot length cable from source to projector? If so, do you feel that there is any degradation of the video output?

David, this is indeed my first projector, I have a 53' pioneer elite RPTV that will be going into the bedroom. I will certainly post my impressions when I get the projector set up.

Might try the better cables route...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a few more questions.

The projector will be 14 feet away, giving a 128" diagonal image (102X77). I will be sitting about 10 feet from the screen. Ambient light is minimal. How will the image look at these parameters? Is this too big of a viewing area?

thanks again all

tony

·
Registered
733 Posts
Tony,

You're pushing the envelop here. I think you might see pixels with a screen this large and sitting fairly close. If you can do it I would try sitting behind the projector, maybe 16 or 17 feet back or move the projector forward for a smaller picture, say 92 inches. Another problem is that being so close with such a large screen you may have trouble following what's happening on the screen - a lot of turning of your head rather than just your eyes.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm at about 9 ft away with 72" wide and its probably a little too big at 4:3 but would be just right at 16:9.

The height is more important than the width in viewability IMO. At least a 2:1 height to viewing ratio is needed IMO.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the fast replys!

I looked into the bettercable solution, but what gives with the 5 rca termination? Can i just not plug in the yellow and white ends? I dunno... just seems wierd having only 3 of 5 terminations plugged in and feeling that you are "fully" using the cable. has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Pardon me, I must be in the wrong forum (being a CRT owner) but, did you say that you are going to use a Da-Lite High Power screen with a ceiling mounted projector? I just ordered a sample of the material from Da-Lite, and it is retro-reflective. Do you have low ceilings or high seating? If not, then most of the light reflected from this screen will go right back to the projector. The High power screen really looks to be a mat finish, or a little darker, from any angle outside its viewing cone. Or was that the intent? It just seems that another high gain screen, one that is not retro-reflective would be a better choice with a ceiling mount. Please correct me if I am wrong in my thinking. I was looking at the High Power to get more brightness out of my floor mounted CRT, provided someone on this forum doesn't convince me to jump ship to the "lamp camp".

------------------

"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

[This message has been edited by Sean Max (edited 05-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sean Max (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sean, you're right! The hipower is retro-roflective and is supposed to work better with a floor mounted projector. The way to test this is to stand (on a chair) next to the ceiling mounted projector and check whether or not the brightness level changes when you squat down to a normal viewing height. If it gets dimmer when you squat then the ceiling mount isn't helpful. My Marantz is ceiling mounted and I tried this test - no major difference. I think this screen helps this particular projector. My LT150 is floor mounted and it is brighter than the Marantz (also has a higher rated light output - 800 vs. 700).

Only way you will know is by trying it!

Cheers,

Grant Smyth

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.