Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

That's it, the basement is nearly finished, the wallet is ready to be used. But I can't decide LT150, LT155 OR SONY. I like the 16:9 Sony and have seen it on view, looked nice. But I like the price of the LT150 & 155. Decisions decisions. HELP! In 5 lines or less, tell me which one & why?

Thanks Ken./

·
Registered
779 Posts
I own a 10ht and have only read about the lt150 so take my feedback for what it is worth.

Sony 10ht native 16:9, no large black bars or special lenses required whereas the lt150 is 4:3. You will have more pixels working for you on a native 16:9 projector than a 4:3. If you were to purchase a panamorph lens to achieve 16:9 you would also require a video processor that can scale the picture appropriately, this could add a couple of extra grand into your lt150 configuration. If you move between 4:3 and 16:9 material you will need to move the lt150 forward or backwards to matain constant height. On the 10ht 4:3 and 16:9 will be the same height, the projector will just put black bars on the left and right on 4:3 material.

The 10ht Has a zoom lens, where the lt150 does not. This means for fine picture size adjustment you just have to set the zoom, whereas on the lt150 you will need to move the projector.

I believe that the 10ht is a quieter unit, please review the specs to confirm. I know I have read a lot of posts regarding the requirement for a hush box on the lt150. You will not require a hush box for the 10ht.

10ht will have a large screendoor than the lt150. You will need to assess if this is a problem for you. Many people can not see the effect once you are a few feet away from the screen.

Rainbows, 1 chip dlps have them lcds do not. You will need to determine how critical this issues is for yourself and your audience.

Both technology types can suffer from dead pixels and it is debatable what the life span of each technology type is. As far as moving parts go I think the 10ht would have less as there is only a fan, whereas the lt150 would have a fan and a color wheel. one could postulate that less moving parts are better but there are a lot of other variables involved.

The 10ht for the most part is like working with a 16:9 TV sans the tuner. It has standard RCA inputs for RGB and Component inputs. I think you will need to purchase a breakout cable for the lt150.

A lot of folks will say the black level on the 10ht could use improvement and out of the box I would agree. There is a very active user community surrounding the 10ht and a process using red color correction filters has been developed which improves blacks and contrast. It would be interesting to compare an improved 10ht to some of the other dlp/dila projectors. FYI a color correction filter is ~25$ at a good camara store.

It looks like the lt150 will be a less expensive projector, according to posts it looks like the price is around $2500 where the 10ht is $4000+ or so.

The lt150 looks more portable the 10ht while movable it was not designed to be placed in a carrying bag and moved around.

I dont know if the lt150 has a digitial zoom feature or not. The 10ht has a zoom mode designed to be used with letterbox 4:3 dvd's or tv soruces. This is very useful as it will allow you to utilize the entire 16:9 screen. This might not be an issue with the lt150 as it is a native 4:3 projector.

For more information on the 10ht you should check out http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/cgi-...conf=DCConfID1 and read the 10ht faq http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/vw10ht_faq.shtml

And to see your mounting distance options download sonys PJCALC program, this will allow you to put in your screen size requirements and it will tell you what your mounting distance options are. http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/PJCalc.exe

IMO, I realy enjoy having native 16:9, based on my experience with this projector and trying out 4:3 office projectors I would never purchace a 4:3 projector for home use. I hope to see more 16:9 dlps and dilas out there in the future.

Good luck on your choice and if you have any further question on my 10ht please send me a PM.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have had an LT150 for two weeks now. My friend has a 10HT. The LT150 (when coupled with a native scaler or home theater pc) is far and away superior.

Black levels are quite good and colors are vibrant and natural looking. After a bit of tweaking with the settings, it looks better than the best direct-view CRTs I have ever seen. I used to own a Sony 1271Q CRT projector and this unit beats it for vibrancy color. The 1271Q had more natural looking flesh tones though.

The 10HT picture is washed out compared to the LT150. What I hate about it is that you can't bypass the mediocre internal scaler on the 10HT so your video will never look as good or cinematic as the LT150 (stair-stepping and other scaling artifacts). Note that the 10HT is EXTREMELY quiet compared to the LT150.

The 10HT is a good projector for those who want to just plug in a source and watch a movie or TV. It's no muss, no fuss, but for an overall superior picture on all levels, the LT150 beats it hands down.

Thomas

·
Registered
115 Posts
I watched the LT150 last night for the first time. another forum member (who I found out lives only a few miles away) came over to do a comparison with my NEC vt540K. I have had a 10HT for a demo before. the lt150 doesn't just beat the 10HT for picture quality, it blows the doors off it. the 10HT does not do black.. you can call it what you will, but it is dark grey. the contrast ratio is also sorely lacking, even when moderately calibrated. the lt150 elicits the response "Holy Contrast, Batman"! It really is no contest who has the better picture, even with the lt150's limitations (rainbows, greenish yellows, orangish reds, incorrect gamma curves). given the choice, I would take the lt150 in a new york minute over the 10HT. when you factor in price, it is a no brainer. Can't comment on the lt155 since i have yet to see it.

------------------

-------------------

Shane

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll chime in and say that the Sony looks better on paper and will be easier to setup. In fact the Sony holds nearly every advantage over the LT150. But, picture quality is not one of them. The LT150 has a superior picture, IMO (assuming you don't see or aren't bothered by the rainbow effect).

I've sat in a friends home theater (who has a Sony) and in the stores demoing a 10HT for hours. I was planning on getting one. Then I discovered AVS....

A few months later I have the NEC LT150 and must say, its better all the way around if you can accomodate it in your HT room. Even my friend (who owns the 10HT) agrees, he prefers the NEC picture.

So.....the Sony appears to hold all the cards until you compare the picture. Theres just no substitute for contrast.

-Dave

PS-Now the Sanyo XP21N for ~$5.5K would be a different story....

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great replies. I think I had settled on the LT150, because the best price I could find in Montreal (where I live) for the Sony was about $5500 US. But today I get a call from another outlet ONLY $4500 US for the Sony. This is the best price I can find in the US also (projectorbarn.com), so getting it from a local (very reputable) dealer looks to be a deal clincher.

Many thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the Sony 10HT and I'm very pleased. I got it new a couple months ago when Sony had their $300 rebate. Right out of the box it looks fantastic. My image size is 4' x 7.1' 16:9. The project is ceiling mounted and about 10' from screen. Currently I use it with OTA analog TV, VHS, and prog. DVDs. Plan on adding a DISH 6000 to get HDTV signals. Check out www.thebigpicturedvd.com ...lots of info about this projector. I was in the same boat as you just a few months ago...it was the 16:9 native size and the wealth of available inforation that made me decide on the Sony.

Good luck with your decision,

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.