Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

My monster CRT Sony 1252 has just gotten too big for my small HT room. HT hobby is quickly taking a backseat to other hobbies anyway- so I thought I'd downgrade to the LT150 projector- it's small and I can ceiling mount- allowing a few extra seats for guests!

I already have a 16x9 screen installed that is 64 x 36. Checking the throw chart for the LT150 puts me about 103 inches away from the screen, no problems there.

The problem is the position above the screen. I'd really love to celing mount, but I have low celings. The current screen mount location gives only 6 inches above the screen before the ceiling.

For a 4:3 configuration, the distances given would be impossible for me- however I was wondering if anyone knew if I could make it work for 16x9. I'm not sure how well the LT150 lets you shift the image up/down on the projection face.

According to the chart the projector lens center would need to be:

32 inches from the screen center, 8 inches from the top of the screen...

but this is impossible with my setup as the furthest away from the center it can be is:

22.5 inches (4.5 from the top), even if it is mounted flush to the ceiling.

This would normally disqualify my thinking about ceiling mounting- but I thought since I was planning to use 16x9 image exclusively "cinema mode"- the top and the bottom of the 4:3 screen area would not be used anyway (12 inches of screen space gained total). So depending on the projector's controls for position, I might be able to still celing mount and just move the image down some to overcome for my lack of headroom.

Is this possible? I have a CRT now and it's controls are really great in this regard- you can move the image any possible way. Does the LT150 offer similar picture controls for moving 16x9 around vertically within its 4x3 area? I see vert and horiz adjust on page 38 of the PDF manual- but there is little info and doesn't really say how FAR you can adjust.

I would move the screen down, but I have an in-wall cabinet and need to maintain room for the center channel speaker below the screen (unless someone wants to buy me an acoustically transparent screen). So basically the screen can't move down any further without major construction issues.

If the LT150 is not adjustable for image location, does anyone think I could angle the projector up slightly and keystone around being this far too low? Are there any issues with mounting the projector flush to the ceiling (light reflected on ceiling? heat?)

Any help you guys who have actually handeled the unit can provide would be much appreciated!

_vince

PS: This unit is DLP- so if I do use it as 16x9 mode exclusively, do I have to worry about tube burn issues?

[This message has been edited by Vince Maskeeper (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hi Vince,

This projector really has no positioning/zooming controls at all. It has a keystone setting, but you want to avoid it at all costs. That means that there is usually exactly one ceiling, and one floor mount position that will work for a given screen. With my low ceiling I could not get it to work with my 16:9 screen.

On the bright side, burn-in is not a problem http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi vince

if want to use this puppy exclusively as 16x9 device i would suggest you to use an Isco2 anamorphotic lens. screendoor effect is less visible and you gain 33% more brightness because with the lens you use the whole panel. even if you decide to view 4x3 you simply have to slide the lens out of the lightbeam and get a centered 4x3 window in the middle of your 16x9 screen, because the isco2 doen't change the hight of the image.

greetings

christoph

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
This projector really has no positioning/zooming controls at all. It has a keystone setting, but you want to avoid it at all costs. That means that there is usually exactly one ceiling, and one floor mount position that will work for a given screen. With my low ceiling I could not get it to work with my 16:9 screen.
Jim,

Do you know what the vert/horiz controls listed on page 38 of the manual are for?

Image Options>Advanced Options>Position/Clock

Just curious if anyone knows what this control does if the projector doesn't have image position controls.

Quote:
if want to use this puppy exclusively as 16x9 device i would suggest you to use an Isco2 anamorphotic lens. screendoor effect is less visible and you gain 33% more brightness because with the lens you use the whole panel. even if you decide to view 4x3 you simply have to slide the lens out of the lightbeam and get a centered 4x3 window in the middle of your 16x9 screen, because the isco2 doen't change the hight of the image.
christoph,

Thanks for the advice, something I will certainly look into. Where can I get this lens? IS it specific to fit this Projector?

Also, from your post it seems that the lens stretches the image width-wise to fill the 16x9 screen (you said removing it leaves a 4x3 image in the middle) would that mean with this lense I would need to setup the throw distance relative to my screen's height, rather than width?

This is really the interesting part to me- if this is the case, as I think I could get the proper position for a 42x32 4:3 screen setup and use the lens to throw to 64 wide.

Am I reading you post correctly?

Vince

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
re: position/clock

yes, you can nudge the image up and down a click at a time. i don't know the range of this, but playing around i was able to get the image just where i wanted it with really no trouble. i don't remember but im sure there is a horizontal control also.

don't know why people don't mention this more since it seems so many people have problems with aligning to their screens.

unless it degrades the image, but if it does, i haven't noticed it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi vince

your completely right. this lens does IMHO a more logical job than the panamorph. it stretches the image to 16:9 (with constant hight). the 16:9 and the 4:3 image have the same hight. to switch between the two images just slide the lens out of the lightbeam. here's a link that explains it with pictures: http://grobi.tv/scripts/index.cfm/Fu...Details/ID/300 . all three pics are with the same distance to the screen. unfortunately this site is in german, so i explain it a little.on the top most pic you see the anamorphic 4:3 version with eggheads (16:9 off on the pj!)

on the picture in the middle, you see the image from the pj with 16:9 on, without the lens.

on the picture below, you see the picture you get, when you use the lens with the setting from picture number one. as you see: the same hight as 4:3 just with the width for 16:9.

the lens isn't especially for a particular pj, you can use any pj and place the lens in front. also look here: http://grobi.tv/scripts/index.cfm/Fu...Details/ID/473 even more pic's from the lens itself and how it works.

greetings christoph

[This message has been edited by christoph (edited 08-14-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.