AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) for people who have already upgraded - what did you get? was it a major improvement over the 150?

2) for those thinking about upgrading soon, what do you think looks the most promising?

3) for those who still plan on keeping it for a while- how many bulbs do you have in reserve, having any trouble finding new ones and if you can find them , are you going to stock up?

just curious.

i still have a year left on my warranty, which gives me a nice cozy feeling, and i'm still enjoying mine greatly, but i'm worried over the talk of the bulbs getting scarcer and scarcer.

and all the talk over the HT1000 has me a little envious, or at least curious.

just wanted a guage of what the other owners are thinking-

·
Registered
159 Posts
I got in on the Dell deal. I think I watched all of 3 movies with the projector before I gave up due to the fan noise. Since then, it has only seen use with some Playstation games and business presentations. I purchased a plasma until projectors get a little more consumer friendly, but I think the time may be close.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noise is one reason the thought of upgrading has been on my mind recently (although i really won't be able to afford it anytime soon).

i have taken steps, short of building an actual hushbox, that have dampened the sound, and its much better than it used to be- but it would be refreshing to watch a movie and not have that be an issue at all.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Guys, building a hush box is a lot cheaper than upgrading. Especially since there is nothing significantly better in this price range. I'll hold on to mine for another 1.5 yrs till the waranty runs out, then upgrade.

Jon

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm thinking about jumping to the HT1000 but simply to beat the depreciation curve. I don't expect a tremendous bump in PQ from the LT150 to the HT1000. But I do expect better inputs, a better scaler (I can sell my Quadscan), and less noise. I'm still on the fence though because of the HT1000's price. If it was $1k less, it would be a no brainer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
According to Projector Central:

"The RGBW color wheel [on the 240] produces higher light output and lower contrast than the six-segment RGB-RGB color wheel used in the HT1000. (By the way, the HT1000's wheel also rotates at 120Hz or "2x", but because each rotation of the wheel delivers two complete RGB refresh cycles, this implementation is commonly referred to as a "4x" speed wheel.)"

It also doesn't support 1080p, DVI, or HDCP.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
My first projector was a LT150z used for $1500. This was a great intro projector for me. The fan was very loud so I just cranked up the surround sound. I've since went from the LT150z to -

2. AE100

3. Seleco HT200

4. Sharp Z90

5. Sharp Z9000

6. NEC HT1000 - finally and the best projector so far.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've had mine since Nov 2001, and am still happy with it enough to hold onto it. It still wows everyone who sees it, and now that I have HiDef cable it wows me too :)

I'll probably upgrade when I can get:

1. 16x9 DLP with decent resolution (better than SVGA

stretched to widescreen)

2. Fast enough color wheel to remedy any and all

rainbows.

3. Nice quiet running fans

4. Descent bulb life/cost

5. DVI/HDCP

6. Better contrast/more lumens

All for somewhere under $2k. I think it's only a matter of time :)

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
I've had my LT150 since April 2001.

I bought an HS10 about a month ago but the blacks were too gray. In brighter scenes I though it blew the LT150 out of the water and also on HiDef. I sold it after putting about 60 hrs on it.

I'm keeping the LT150 but have a Dwin TV3 on order.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got mine during the Dell "deal". :)

I've been using it since December of '01. I still have about 400 hours left on the original bulb and I've got 3 spare bulbs.....so it'll be AWHILE before I HAVE to think about getting something else.

I thought about MAYBE upgrading to the lt240 (to be able to use it with more ambient light and have a brighter picture as the bulb aged), but I've not read anything that convinces me that this is really a big step upwards.

Of course, if there's anybody out there who wants to make me a killer offer on buying my unit and the 3 bulbs (the bulbs alone are worth over $900), I'd be willing to listen........

Cheers,

XYNZ

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I love my lt150z and dalite hipower setup. I've seen projectors that cost 4 times as much and don't show significantly better PQ. I'm holding out for another year or 2 until something much better in this price range presents itself. Then I'll sell this one and make the jump. By then 3 or 4 grand will buy a phenomenal projector.

Herm

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Since adding the gamma mod to the other mods I've decided to keep this noisy little thing awhile longer. I keep looking, but since I haven't seen anything I like better - taking into consideration the huge amount of money the latest and greatest cost where I live - I guess I'll just keep this thing humming for awhile longer. The HT1000 is the only other pj I am particularly interested in, that is, until NEC comes out with a 16:9 pj.

IMO innovation on this forum reached its zenith with the LT150. Now everyone is buying a pj, keeping it for a few months and then dumping it. No more experimentation - boring! A year from now the HD2s will have gone the same way as the HD1s - forgotten! Such is the price of progress.

Thank god I didn't buy a HD1 pj!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
And the only thing that beats Grant's modified LT150's..is my new toy.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I loved mine when I had it, but sold it to fund the purchase of an NEC XG-1100 CRT. There's more care and feeding involved with the CRT, but it's image is fantastic.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I had a very good ofer to buy mine from someone here in Australia, so I sold it to him and replaced it with an InFocus X1. I was another Dell buyer, so I made a decent amount on the deal.

I don't have HD, and for DVD the X1 seems to be of equivalent quality to the LT150 pre mods.

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.