AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of the unstable remote control, I'm looking for a better method to control my ceiling mounted LT150. I've installed the NEC PC Control Utility 1.0 but not get the cable yet. The Utility 1.0 can control: power, source select, mute, select logo file but no full function menu. Is there any updated version of PC control having the full menu? I've searched the previous posts here. It mentioned that the PC control can activate the cinema mode for RGB. Where and how?

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
How about using a USB mouse plugged into the LT150 with a USB extension to work with the menus.

I use an optical mouse so that I can lay it on my leg and use the texture of my blue jeans to move the pointer around and use them menus.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKL
I've searched the previous posts here. It mentioned that the PC control can activate the cinema mode for RGB. Where and how?

Thanks
I used a java program I wrote to generate a proper packet. Someone posted the pdf for all the serial codes a while ago.

You probably can also do it through the service menu. Someone posted how to get access to that through the remote control.

--Les

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by jackmay
How about using a USB mouse plugged into the LT150 with a USB extension to work with the menus.
Can USB mouse turn the projector on/off?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow

Someone posted the pdf for all the serial codes a while ago.

--Les

I've read this file http://dp70.dyndns.org/tmp/NEC_serial.pdf

Yes, there are lots settings even more than the original menu. But I don't know how to write programme to access it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
See my post at the bottom of this thread.

Edit: fixed link

·
Registered
306 Posts
How about using a Pronto or if you have a HTPC, a shortcut on your wireless keyboard. I downloaded the controls into the pronto and I can access all the menus but the on/off sometimes does not work.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
You don't have to write a thing, if you use girder. There is a plug it for the LT150. You also need the serial plug in. All I need now is the serial cable db9 to mini-8 (it only needs the 3 wire hookup).

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Huckster,

Thank you for your information. I've downloaded the Girder and the control file for LT150. I haven't got the connecting cable so I can't try it now. I want to know if Girder replace the NEC PC control utility to control LT150 and I can add new control code according to the pdf file.

Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yes, you can extend the girder file using the serial control codes. Look at the commands provided and compare them to the ones in the .pdf file to get an idea of the way to translate the protocol.

As jkaiser said, be sure to download and install the Serial plugin for Girder, too.

If you have specific Girder or Serial plugin, ask them in the Girder forum . Good luck. :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Huckster,

I've connected LT150 to PC via an CAT 5 cable where DIN 8 (1,4,7) to Dsub 9 (2,5,3). But the NEC PC Utility 1.0 can't recognize the projector. I've double checked the connection DIN 8 to Dsub 9 with a meter measuring the resistance. It was confirmed that the connection is corrected.

I've downloaded the serial plugin and set the input device to be serial port. How can I know the GRIDER is able to communicate with the projector?

Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
If the NEC software isn't recognizing the projector, then the hardware is messed up. Either the cable, the PC port or the projector port. I would suggest you get that software working, to validate the hardware setup, before using the Serial plugin with Girder. The first time I built the cable, :) I had the TX/RX reversed.

When you send a command to the projector, it responds with 20 and/or some other data (depending on the command). Try installing the Logger plugin for Girder and it will show you any/all data from all input devices (including the serial plugin). If you don't see any returned data, the connection isn't working.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I will go back to make sure the proper setup of the hardware. One more question. Does it need to enable the external control at the SETUP 2 of the service menu?

Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
Uhhh, I don't know. I didn't do anything to the projector to make it work. I'm not anywhere near my projector right now so I can't see what that menu setting is. Sorry. :(

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems that every thing is correct. I don't know why it can't recognize the projector. The serial cable I used is around 32ft long. Is it too long that the signal can't pass through? Anyone here has successfully controlled LT150 with the PC?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
CKL- from your description above, you have TXD and RXD backwards. Switch them around on one end of the cable and it should work.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Mark. You are right. After I swopped both wires, it worked. The correct connection of the pins should be

DIN 8 (1,4,7) to Dsub 9 (3,5,2).

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I revived this oldie but goodie post to show people that "Cinema mode" via RGB input can be done via serial code hack and special serial cable (Din-8 at LT150 and DB-9 at PC). Now if I only know how to enter these data and how to make this cable :D Help, CKL or anybody....

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
(1) Using a cable with 3 cores (or CAT 5), one end is connect the DIN 8 (1,4,7) plug and the other end to Dsub 9 (3,5,2).

(2) Plug the DIN 8 to LT150 and Dsub 9 to the serial port of PC

(3) Install the software of PC Utility in the NEC CD (included with LT150)

(4) After that PC can communicate with LT150 (power activated but no need to be ON)

The function of PC Utility is limited (Power ON/OFF, Picture Mute, Source Selection and upload the opening picture (NEC logo)). You can use Grinder to have more control. But you need the control code and know how to write these codes in Grinder. You can get the control code (pdf file) from the aforesaid link.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.