AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As something of a newbie, I don't know if I used the correct term but I am quite bothered by what I'm seeing.

It is most noticable when the image includes small items (eg. a pen or someone's arm when they are in the background) or most of the background when it is shot out of focus. It's like the resolution isn't fine enough to display the item smoothly - it looks like it is made up off a bunch of squares. The best example I can quote is in The Fifth Element (regular and SuperBit). After Leeloo has been regenerated and escaped, she has stepped out onto the ledge. She is about to step back into the ventilation shaft when the police find her. After the cop tells her to come back in, there is a long shot of her at the end of the shaft. Her right arm, as she looks back in (towards the camera) is not smooth but is pixelated.

My source is progressive from a Pany RP91. The LT150 recognizes the signal to be progressive and I have the mode set to Cinema. The image is roughly 86" wide. The LT150 is ceiling mounted and my seating position is about 2 feet behind the front of the projector.

How can I resolve (no pun intended) my problem. Is an HTPC or quality scaller my only alternatives?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gary - I assume you have the RP91 setup in 16:9 mode as well?

Also do you have the Image type set to LCD projector - closest setting to a DLP - and the black level set to darker?

In the video options I use the U settings. The transfer mode setting is the most important - believe it is under U4 - make sure it is set to Auto2.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who responded so far.

Jeff and Radar - I guess I'll have to give HTPC a serious look because I can't live with the jaggies. It also looks like an HTPC is a better value than, and a more flexible alternative to, a dedicated scaler.

Lou - I had the RP91 setup as you suggested except that I had it set to Projection TV. But changing it to LCD didn't result in any improvement. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That's odd - my picture is always rock solid.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Sytsma
That's odd - my picture is always rock solid.
Lou,

Are there any other RP91 or LT150 settings/adjustments that I should look into?

On the LT150, I have the Brightness set to 132, Contrast at 80, Color 35, and Hue 26 - all by using the Avia disk. I tried changing those values with no positive results. Not that it makes any difference but the BIOS is 1.0.0, the firmware is 1.0.20 and the data is 1.0.3.

Are you using an external lens?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gary - all my adjustments to the projector were made under the Picture submenu. I had tried changing settings elsewhere but really couldn't see any difference after having done so.

Under Picture I have increased Brightness marginally up from the midpoint. Conversely Contrast was lowered marginally down from the midpoint. This was done using the related tests from the Avia disc.

When viewing DVDs I run under SDTV and Pb/Pr options from the Advanced Menu - Colour Matrix submenu. I leave Gamma at Natural1.

In regards to the white segment I leave it on normally. I only turn it off for older movies where the crawlies become evident - most noticeable in sky shots ie see Lawrence of Arabia.

On the RP91 I use the following settings:

U1 - Gamma +1, can change depending on the movie

U2 - Mosquito NR +1, reduces EE or ringing

U3 - High Sharpness +1, Edge -1

U4 - Transfer Mode - Auto2

I use a Dalite Hi-Power screen - 2.8 gain.

I do not use an external lens.

Hope this may be of some use to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.