1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just configured my HTPC for use with my LT150

I have powerstrip set up for 1025x576 as I am using a 16:9

screen.The problem I am having is I am seeing horrible

Banding and artifacting even with suttle pans.a perfect example of this is with Final Fantasy chapter 1 where the girl is standing

on the cliff and raises her hand to block the sun from her eyes

her hand is full of bands looks like snakes.I see this in all

dvds,I couldn't get through 1/2 of Sordfish lastnight because the

artifacting/banding was soooo bad. I see it frequently in all

dvd's

here is how I have it set up

1024x576

60hz

1024=32,104,168

576= 35,3,125 vertical pixel @ 58884

horizontal @ 45hz This seem too high but powerstrip automatically does the horizontal when you adjust vertical

I took these numbers from a previuos thread and have no Idea

what the last 336 figure indicated.Can you tell me exactly how you have your 1024x576 setting configured with your LT150?

Thanks Ray

LT-150

HTPC

AMD 1.0

Geforce2MX (Latest drivers)

SB Live

528megs PC133

Windows XP

Powerstrip 3.0 beta

Power DVD 3.0

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

This is the thread I used to set up the 1024x576

desk top I need the exact numbers in the powerstrip configuration what is the 336? I used all the

setting from this page and it looks terrible

Thanks Ray

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I had the same problem, then I found this post which works a treat.

Jeff

Mike,

I had the same problem at first, but then found the trick. First, delete any failed custom resolutions from PowerStrip. Then, with your screen set to 1024x768, go to the page where you create custom resolutions. Check the "Lock total geometry" box. Then enter the number of scanlines you want in the height box (576 is what you'll probably want for 16:9). Then uncheck the "Lock total geometry" box and hit the "Add new resolution" button.

This effectively sets you up with a screen of 1024x576, but the video signal is identical to the (working) 1024x768 signal. Only the blanking is affected.

I actually use these resolutons instead of YXY to get the ATI player to "zoom" non-anamorphic and 1.66:1 movies. I normally keep the desktop at 1024x576 for most stuff, but when I play a non-anamorphic movie, I switch it back to 1024x768. I also created a 1024x720 mode to play back 1.66:1 movies.

Hope this helps!

Aaron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ray,

I Second what JeffY said. This is exactly how I setup my LT150 for a 16X9 screen. I works and looks great. I created desktop shortcuts to my 1024x768 and 1024x576 resolutions and placed them in middle of the desktop so they are always seen on screen no matter what resolution I am in.You can also go back into powerstrip and move the 1024x576 panel around to get it perfectly centered on the screen.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Guys

I followed your directions and it does look a little better.

I still am seeing Horizontal and Vertical banding in alot of material

Camera pans are not smooth and are full of distortion

This is what I am seeing in the first chapter of Final Fantasy

and alot of other material

((((((

))))))

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just downloaded my Powerstrip last night & thanks to this thread, did what was recommended in JeffY's post (thanks, JeffY & the original author). Got my 16:9 desktop with no sweat whatsoever & when I hooked it up to the LT150, it looked amazing! Don't know if it was just my imagination, but I think the desktop looked better than the previous 4:3. I also like the fact that Powerstrip allows one to simply "grab" the 16:9 desktop & move it up or down (or right/left) on the 4:3 screen for positioning. When I finally loaded "Rush Hour" DVD, my family and I were simply marvelling at the picture quality. I wonder if Powerstrip actually helps to improve the PQ, or again, is it just my imagination? In any case, I'm enjoying this LT150 & HTPC (w/ WinDVD 3.0) setup more and more every day. Thanks to all those in this forum who make this experience possible. My next step is to block out all the spilled light (from the LT150) & letter-box black bars using first-surface mirror & backward projection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.