AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the plunge and went digital. My LT150 arrived yesterday. As a long time CRT projector owner (Sony 1031q, NEC GP3000) it was a leap of faith based on all the positive experiences and comments that current LT150 owners have posted on this forum.

I am very impressed so far with the even brightness, picture resolution and color saturation performance of the LT150. I have it connected to the RGB connection on the projector and the component out on my newly acquired progressive scan Panasonic RP56 (the Sage/Farouda chip is very nice bonus on a $190.00 piece of equipment). The picture has much better detail than my old set-up (NEC GP300 CRT with JVC non progressive scan player line doubled with DVDO Iscan (first generation). My NEC GP3000 was not professionally calibrated and the CRT guns were tired so I'm not sure how fair the comparison is. I thought it looked pretty good when I had the conversion dialed in.

I will say the LT150 picture rivals the HDTV demos I've seen at the local chain electronics stores when the LT150 is coupled with a DVD with a good transfer. Once again I don't know how fair that comparison is considering they are typically not set-up very well. In any event I like the picture I'm getting with the LT150 (on my first night of ownership).

On to my questions. I hope I'm not missing the obvious but I'm new to the 3lb digital projector world.

I have a dedicated theater room with a 100" diagonal 4:3 screen. I use homemade masking screens for 16:9. I distanced the projector 130" from the screen (per owners manual) and my projected image is too "high" for my screen. I've tried moving the projector for and aft a few inches and that didn't change anything significantly. I had to mount the projector just a few inches (4") from the floor to get the image centered on my screen (only widescreen formats tested). My ceilings are 6' 10" and the top of my screen borders the ceiling. I can't raise my screen height. I would like to elevate the projector to a standard table height. I would also like to move it further back from the screen. Any ideas on what I can do? Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to prop the rear of the projector up to compensate for elevating it physically. I tried the vertical positioning option in the menu but it only moved the position of the picture a little in either direction (not enough). What gives?

I am considering ceiling mounting the projector at some point but not yet. I just mounted the NEC GP3000 to the ceiling a few weeks before it's demise and have decided to wait a little before ceiling mounting the LT150.

Thanks for the help.

Shayne

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Is ceiling mounting an option? It'll have more noise as fan goes high speed but should make image perfect. Only other option is tilting projector downward at table height. Most ceilings are 8-9 feet tall so 6+ feet is not very high. Tilting downward will cause keystoning which does not correct well with digital keystone correction (it adds artifacts to image). You can tilt your screen (bottom outward towards projector) to compensate for keystoning. Trapezoid keystoning can also be "fixed" if you mask with black felt to simulate straight edges (losing 1-2" of bottom corner of image is not a big deal to keep image appearing straight). You can also mount projector on shelf high up near ceiling on back wall, and put projector upside down on stick-on rubber feet if you don't want to mess with true ceiling mounting. One last expensive option is to get Panamorph (good luck) which will squish 4:3 image to 16:9 to fit on your screen and get image off wall.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Shayne,

There's no internal adjstment that will change the position of the projected image with the LT150, not if you want to use all 1024x768 pixels. It's entirely dependent on the height and distance from the screen. At 130.7" distance, the bottom of the image will be 11.8" above the platform that the projector is sitting on. If you ceiling mount, you will have to move the screen down by at least that much.

------------------

Dave E.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
If you ceiling mount the LT150, your image will be at least 12" lower than the ceiling. Maybe you should consider 2 projector locations, one for 16:9 format and a closer position for 4:3 stuff. I have yet to see anything in the 4:3 format worth seeing at 100" diag..

Jon

·
Registered
950 Posts
Shayne, if you go into the advanced options menu of the 150, access the position/clock option.

The position option will allow you to adjust the the image on your screen horizontally, and vertically quite a few inches.

If you still need to adjust the vertical, just place something under the pj to adjust the tilt. Don't put something that will tilt it too much, or you might see some keystone.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Or maybe 2 LT150s!

I've been struggling with this myself. I would like to mount mine above a patio door. Right side up displays a beautiful picture on the ceiling. Up side down and it is too low.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Because my projector sits on a cart behind my couch (no other choice), it's about 3 or 4 feet off the ground. I have to prop the rear up to center the picture. I thought this might ruin the image, but it does not. Sure there is keystoning but I cannot see it because I bleed the wide part of the trapezoid into the masking bars on the screen, so the image appears rectangular to me. Focus is not affected either. I defocus slightly anyway to eliminate the screen door. This is what works for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.