AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the LT150 for about a month and a half. When I first got it, I saw rainbows everywhere. For the first few days, I thought it wouldn't be bearable, but after the first week, it became a significant but tolerable issue. As time as passed, I have seen them less and less, even though I could always find them if I specifically look for them. Now, I rarely see them, and even have trouble finding them when I look for them. A friend came over to see the pj for the first time, and he saw them everywhere in places where I saw nothing at all.

Question: Do we subconsciously "train" our eyes to "delete" these kinds of artifacts? Keep in mind that I have never made any conscious effort to follow the suggestions made here to avoid seeing rainbows (e.g. not move my eyes around or focus on the whole picture).

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps its just the movies I've rented lately, but I can't recall any rainbows other than during the credits.

When I first got it, I could see them frequently on certain films. Perhaps I should dig up Gladiator and see if I notice them like before.

But, I don't see them at all on normal TV (satellite or local channels run through a DVDo).

So, my advice is if you see them just say "oh well" and concentrate on the movie. The effect will lessen a lot, IMO.

-Dave

·
Registered
855 Posts
There is a portion of your retina that has no rods and cones (see this picture) called the blind spot. This is where all the "wires" for the rods and cones (the optic nerve) go through the back of your eye and, eventually, attach to your brain.

Try this experiment: Close or cover one eye. As you look around, the blind spot SHOULD generate a black spot on everything you look at. However, more likely is your brain will fill in the "right" thing so you don't see a black spot but see a continuous image instead.

Can your brain learn or be taught to ignore image artifacts? My answer: It already has.

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have noticed the same thing. I only have 50 hours on my 150 and I believe I am seeing fewer rainbows as well. I too used to see them all the time, actually pretty bad. The improved sharpness and brightness of the picture, not to mention the perfect conversion, over my Sony 1271 however made me over look the problem. Now I am seeing them much less frequently.

I think your right that our eyes do indeed adjust to these anomalies. I have not made any effort to avoid seeing them either but they do appear to be much less of a problem now.

I still use my 1271 for most of my TV viewing and some of my movie viewing due to the expensive lamp cost of the 150. But I'd bet that if I used the 150 exclusively the rainbows would all but disappear. Heck, they may soon anyway at this rate.

I really hope the lamp cost gets down to a reasonable level soon, maybe $200 ish? (I can dream) I'd love to retire the Sony all together. The high lamp cost is the only thing keeping it (the Sony) around!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've noticed the same thing... Although I never saw them to start with, but I still haven't seen them, so there... I'm no mathematician, but 0 rainbows now is less than 0 rainbows then.

JoseQ

------------------
http://www.speedhost.com
a href= http://www.emuviews.com

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Huck,

There is a really good webpage to illustrate your point at the colorcube website.

They have quite a few other illusions there too. I liked them alot.

Best Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just mentioned to my wife last night that I couln't recall the last time that I'd noticed a rainbow. Considering I think I caught everyone possible when I received the lt150 in early august! But I think that I am so captivated with the picture quality from this pj, that nothing else seems to matter.....even the movie! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Len

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Concur. I can always see rainbows if I make an effort to do so, but they are not nearly so intrusively distracting as they were when I first got the projector. I was thinking maybe the bulb has begun to dim a little at about 175 hours.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ah! A variation on the Toscanini effect!

Apocryphal story:

Back in the '50's, Arturo Toscanini invited a reviewer to listen to a new LP on his home system, which was a variation on the three-box crystal-cartridge rim-drive standard. Toscanini praised the music, but all the reviewer heard was pops, hiss, wow, and rumble. When the reviewer pointed out these problems, Toscanini didn't hear them at first, and then was quite distressed to hear the problems all over the place. Finally, though, he adapted, and was able to hear the music again. He never went "Hi-Fi".

Maybe, sometime soon, we may all be somewhere over the rainbows...

apg

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So does that mean that 30 to 40 years from now when our grandkids are looking at absolutely perfect images we will say "I still prefer my DLP with the rainbows. That is how a movie should be watched, not with this Super Hi-Def Hologram Brain Wave stuff you kids watch." http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.