Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking for a projector in the

My biggest concern with the LT150 is the rainbow effect. I have never seen a DLP and I'm not sure of where I could get a demo of this unit.

From what I've read of rainbow, it happens most when scanning the picture with your eyes rapidly. So my question is, what about a title like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", which has fast action sequences and also has subtitles, requiring you to scan the picture with your eyes. So viewing this title should exhibit rainbow a great deal, correct? Anyone with an LT150 and this DVD?

I have also read that not everyone is prone to seeing rainbows. But if you do see them, are they continuous throughout the duration of the film, or do they just occur every now and again and in certain scenes only?

I'm currently agonizing between the strengths and weakness of DLP vs LCD at this price point. I'm pretty much going to have to buy one or the other unit sight unseen, so I have a lot of anxiety over making a bad choice.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I think that if you buy the LT150 from www.buy.com that you can return it for a full refund if you don't like it. I've seen rainbows on other projects (Runco, Sharp, Yamaha) and they don't bother me too much. I'm going to check out my friend's LT150 that he recently ordered. If it looks 80% as good as the other DLP projectors that I've seen, then I'm sold.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have seen rainbows on my LT150 but I had to go extreme measure of head shaking and rapid eye movement to see them. I have a rough time trying to repeat seeing them.

Thus far it is not a problem for me. There is good chance that it may not be a problem for you, so don't put too much weight on rainbows just because some people are sensitive to them

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have my Lt150 for 2 weeks now. The rainbow effect has bother me at first. But I guess I'm used to it, I can live with the effect. But I know few people can't. See it for yourself.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an LT150 and I catch a rainbow every now and then but it is not distracting. My father had a perfect analogy the other day, comparing it to when you look straight on at an airplane prop while it is in motion. Sometimes you can see the actual prop blade for a split-second if you blink or move your head. This also shows you how quick it happens. By the time you think you saw it, it has long since been gone. Maybe that's why rainbows don't bother me, since I have spent the greater part of my life very near aircraft, and have gotten used to this effect.

Greg

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Don't sweat the rainbows. It's not a big deal compared to the benefits you're getting. If you got a budget for hamburgers, don't expect prime rib.....Of course you'll still have a damn good burger on your hands in this case.

-Trouble

(yes I have an lt150)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my LT150 sight unseen about a month ago. To this day, I am still not sure what rainbows are, sometimes during a scene I will say, those are porbably rainbows, but it does not bother me a bit. Just so you have another reference, there has not been one single person who notices anything like that when I show them a movie, what they do notice is how good the picture looks and are impressed that I have a setup like that for $2,000.

Marcos

·
Registered
329 Posts
Guys,

I haven't seen a DLP yet and don't like screen door.

Is it much less existent w/ DLP or non=existent???

Can you sit 5/6 ft away w/o seeing it? My understanding

is its still there, but the fill ratio is much higher and thus

less screen door.

Just curious,

thanks,

Aceman

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It's been stated on this forum that the screendoor of an SVGA DLP is equivalent to an XGA LCD. Therefore, an XGA DLP would be improved further. Based on this, you can sit closer to the screen without noticing screendoor, though your viewing distance could be too close depending on screen size. This all depends on how big of a screen you're using (which you didn't mention). The bottom line is that unless you're sitting really close to a really big screen, you, theoretically, won't notice screendoor with an XGA DLP.

Scott

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
At my viewing position, about 9' from an 84" diagonal 4:3 aspect ratio screen I'm right on the edge for the screen door.

This means in some particular instances I see screen door effect, and other times I don't. It seems to be most noticable on large swatches of monochromatic information -- or (in English) a large area of one color.

If I could go back another foot, the problem would be solved -- alas I want the speakers just right too.... Anyone feel like contributing to an add-on to my home theater room ;)

Rainbows are another item that I was hoping I was insensitive to, but am not. However, I saw them constantly when I first got the LT-150 up and running, and much less now. It's probably my brain engaging a rainbow filter when I'm watching. Now I see them from time to time, and keep on going.

Regards,

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi All, I think I sow best footage to show the worst of DLP rainbows, I got DVD of BMW movies ( www.bmwfilms.com ) it came with my issu of Roundel magazine. And 5th film "Powder Heg" is something completely unwatched on LT 150 it is OK on CRT but when I watched on PJ I get sea sick like. You can download those movies and play them with media player, and maybe your local BMW may have DVD's for free. Other 4 movies are great.

Best regards Artur.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.