Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I received my LT150 a few days ago and this is my impressions. I'm a newbie and this is my first projector.

The short version: GREAT, GREAT and just plain GREAT !!!

The long version. My setup is a home made 90-100 inch screen (the back side of some oilcloth, price $8). I used an interlaced DVD player (Panasonic RV60) and S-video. I do not have ambient light control, 4 big windows with ordinary curtains and one window does not even have a curtain. A nice surround system (Denon AVC 10SE).

We were a few friends and my friends have seen both CRT, LCD and DLP projectors before. Don't know which or how old they were.

We watched in the middle of the day on a very bright day (3PM to 8PM) and with interlaced s-video and with a lot of ambient light. This is the worst combination in respect to other posts. (To give you an idea about how bright the room was: You could easily read the text to the buttons on the top of the projector and the little sticker which followed the projector in an arms length.)

With this combination of course stay away from dark films. Black is grey and "Men in black" becomes "Men in grey" and it is very hard to see what goes on in the shadows/dark scenes. But we watched Predator and toy story and browsed through a lot of other movies and didn't get anything but extremely pleased with what we saw. Even though predator has some dark scenes one friend has seen this movie many times and he said we didn't miss anything in the dark screens. Colours are plain great and bright scenes almost jump of the screen. Toy story was a joy all the way. We really felt "dizzy" in the start of "vertical limit" and the dessert looked very good. At a point the sunlight started hitting the screen and of course the image disappeared at that spot but that's not worse than an ordinary tv which reflects the sunlight and you are not able to see anything. The only "point" my friends had was that they were sorry the didn't have the opportunity to see the projector shine in total dark and they had never seen a projector perform this well.

Off course movie watching is best in total dark and I've seen some movies in the night when it is dark and then the image is smooth as silk and very appealing. The colours look better and black certainly looks a lot better and the image is much more 3D, but that's only what to expect.

Rainbows: I see them (because everybody keeps talking about them) but try not to and I hope I soon forget I even learned that word but for now I have stayed away from movies like Gladiator, X-men and the like until I get RGB(Component) to work. My friends didn't talk about it and I didn't mention it and I don't think the saw any.

The remote sure is very little. My wife think it's cute but I fear that it will disappear some day (I think it can go in the Hoover so this may be a place to look Bob http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Noise: Not that bad, the same level as my tweaked over clocked computer which I listen to every day and the noise "disappear" when we watch movies.

With my "poor" setup with s-video and interlaced I'm not sure I won't go the HTPC way but that won't be within the next year. I haven't tried feeding it with the computer even though it is close to a HTPC (Geforce 2 GTS, DVD drive, Soundblaster live 700 Mhz [email protected] + more) and I have watched DVDs on my computer in the past but I'm afraid I will not go back to my current setup if I first watch a movie with my computer and a HTPC is not an option now. Anyway I'm very pleased with the current setup except for one thing. I want to feed it with RGB instead of s-video and this is very troublesome and this is where I need some help.

I have given some information in the thread http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006683-4.html and here it was suggested that I combine the composite and green signal to make a kind of RGsB signal and force the projector to component?. I'm afraid I'll make a shortcut and "blow up" my DVD player if I combine these signals. Will it be safe to combine these signals ? Please help. I won't watch movies which is know for rainbows before I feed it with RGB/component as I read that S-video makes a movie to a "rainbow fest"

Anders

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I am not sure exactly what you are describuing but I would not try to combine any signals. Could be very detrimental to your equipment. I do not think you will see a big difference between S-video and component. Where I do think you will see a big difference is by getting a progressive scan DVD player. I have used my cheap APEX AD-800 progressive scan player with an LT 150 and the results were fantastic! It's only another $200 for a cheap progressive player. I wouldn't waste your time on anything else.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Anders,

Hook your computer into the LT150 - don't be shy!

Shahram 72 is right - this projector (and most others) deserves a good progressive source.

I bet Frode could help you out - why don't you email him.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Anders,

I've looked at what you're trying to do, and I can tell you one thing: Don't bother. The LT150 can only synch to 24kHz horizontal sync for the RGB input. NTSC is 15.1kHz iirc and PAL is something like 21 (??). There's hardly any point in doing it anyway as you'd lose aspect ratio control. Use a HTPC instead (remember - you can get them real cheap these days, under 6000 DKK). If you want to convert the RGBS signal you have right now you'd need a special box - the mod you're attempting will not convert it to component as that is Y(luminance), Cb (blue component), Cb(red component). The site you linked to will not do that, rather it'll boost the sync voltage so it gets recognized by the projector as RGBS - otherwise known as RGB with composite sync. There's a different mod again that will create RGsB which is sync on green, but that will still just use the RGB input part of the projector. So - it just won't sync to the signal because the frequency is too low. And no - you can't just increase the frequency so it'll sync either. You'd need a line doubler for that.

------------------

/frode

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.