AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my LT150 yesterday. Today I made up the Cat5 shielded cable (HD15-RCA). After hooking everything up to my Pany RP91 the image flickers and at the same time I'm getting a horizontal white bar at the top of the display - just above the projected image. It happens about once every 5 or 10 seconds. Do I have a bad unit or did I mess up when making the cable?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was initially wrong. It isn't happening as frequently as I originally stated. It is more random. Sometimes the entire image flickers but more often the top portion of the image is altered - bends/curves to the right. Maybe some kind of sync problem? I'm going to try and get a commercial VGA-BNC breakout cable to eliminate a cable problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gary:

Where did you get the Shielded Cat5 from? I've been looking for it everywhere, but no luck. =(

As far as the white bar, I get that all the time, not flickering. I'm masking it out soon.

JoseQ

------------------
http://www.speedhost.com
a href= http://www.emuviews.com

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The image bending to the right at the top is another sure sign of Macrovision. See if it goes away if you play an MGM disc (these do not enable Macrovision on the player). If the bending goes away, then this is not a cable problem. You might check with NEC and see if your projector has the latest firmware. NEC has issued firmware updates for all recent models to make them less sensitive to Macrovision.

One thing to check on your homemade cable: make sure you only connect the three color signals and their respective grounds and nothing else.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by JoseQ:
Gary:

Where did you get the Shielded Cat5 from? I've been looking for it everywhere, but no luck. =(

As far as the white bar, I get that all the time, not flickering. I'm masking it out soon.

JoseQ
After calling about 10 places in Toronto I finally found 1 that had some bulk in stock. I had some shielded patch cables on order from a local mail order house but there were going to be on back-order until Sept. so I cancelled.

There have been a number of posts that include US web sites that sell shielded Cat5. I can compile a list if want.

The white bar only occurs when the image jumps and it isn't a halo or anything like that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark,

I don't have the problem with my RPTV. Every DVD (A Bug's Life, The Fifth Element, Pleasantville, Se7en) I tried had the same problem.

I was pretty careful when making the cable but I'm a novice when it comes to soldering. I hope its a cable problem - an easy solution as compared to having to get the projector repared.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up a VGA-BNC breakout cable and BNC-RCA adapters today. Problems fixed! Even with the 6' breakout cable and a 25' "VGA extension" cable. I guess I did something wrong when I made my cable. Or maybe 50' is too long?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't know - for the first time, I got a strange white band at the top of my image while watching DirecTV tonight (running it through a CI scaler). If occurred on all the channels, and I powered down the projector, waited 5 minutes, powered on, and it was gone. Very strange.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke too soon. It's still happening - although less frequently than before. It happened about 10 times during 12 Monkeys.

Mark, You mentioned firmware updates. How can tell what version/date of firmware I currently have? How is the firmware update installed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Gary- call NEC technical support. Some models can be updated via the serial port, others you have to bring to a service center. Not sure about the LT150. If NEC tells you how to check the firmware version, please post the procedure here.

I saw an LT150 this evening connected to a JVC progressive scan player and did not see any Macrovision issues. I do know that some implementations of Macrovision cause more trouble than others-- in trying several progressive-scan DVD players with my LT100, some produced a very warped picture while others were nearly fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The build date of my LT150 is December 2000. NEC Tech Support confirmed the MacroVision problem and firmware upgrade - that isn't user installable! Fortunately their Canadian service depot is only about 20 miles away from me so I'm arranging to take it in. The tech rep. didn't know of any way to display the firmware verson or date.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.